You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fracking

Rico1304

Hold on, as far as I can remember she isn't a climate change denier. Her view is that nuclear is the best option for us to hit carbon emission targets and maintain a steady supply. Do any of you really think current wind, solar and bio can maintain supply?

This is about the will to do it Rico. When there was a world war there was centrally co-ordinated production and manufacture to scales that anyone would have though impractical beforehand. The idea that if the will was there this could not be sorted in five years is, frankly, bollocks.

Now, aside from that I do understand what you're talking about with regards to doing this in the current world. That requires bridging the gap from fossils to renewables and I'm certainly not as quick to throw nuclear out of the ring in that situation. One thing I will say is that a lot of the critics of nuclear never seem to factor in the damage and danger of the alternatives that are being used. The damage of the nuclear industry really does pale in comparison to the damage done by fossil fuels (it's just more hollywood when it happens).

On the credibility of people in the industry, the problem is always trying to decide on their bias and vested interest. 

This is about the will to do it Rico. When there was a world war there was centrally co-ordinated production and manufacture to scales that anyone would have though impractical beforehand. The idea that if the will was there this could not be sorted in five years is, frankly, bollocks.

Now, aside from that I do understand what you're talking about with regards to doing this in the current world. That requires bridging the gap from fossils to renewables and I'm certainly not as quick to throw nuclear out of the ring in that situation. One thing I will say is that a lot of the critics of nuclear never seem to factor in the damage and danger of the alternatives that are being used. The damage of the nuclear industry really does pale in comparison to the damage done by fossil fuels (it's just more hollywood when it happens).

On the credibility of people in the industry, the problem is always trying to decide on their bias and vested interest.

I just think it'd be folly to go big on renewables at the moment - technology is moving so fast we could end up with a lot of white elephants (or windmills) when the best option could be wait 10 yrs then have local/micro generation. I know there's a view that in the future there could be a coating applied to,roofs which turns the whole hing into a PV cell but is completely invisible. Once you've got a home battery to store that and a car to run on we are laughing. Elec cars are a great example - if you bought one 5 yrs ago you'd be kicking yourself.

For the record I've nothing against windmills, I think they look amazing, it's just whether they make sense.

I just think it'd be folly to go big on renewables at the moment - technology is moving so fast we could end up with a lot of white elephants (or windmills) when the best option could be wait 10 yrs then have local/micro generation. I know there's a view that in the future there could be a coating applied to,roofs which turns the whole hing into a PV cell but is completely invisible. Once you've got a home battery to store that and a car to run on we are laughing. Elec cars are a great example - if you bought one 5 yrs ago you'd be kicking yourself.

For the record I've nothing against windmills, I think they look amazing, it's just whether they make sense.

We haven't got ten tears though. We're already in the red and the rocket ship is glowing red, ready to explode.

If you could show people what the world would look like with different degrees of warming in 50 years time we really would see the sort of conscription of nations to change that we saw during the world wars. We're talking massive food shortage and lots and lots of war. I think white elephants are a risk we're going to have to take.

We're not going to be arsed about a few solar panels when India, Pakistan and Bangledesh are starving/turning the taps off on each other/under water and looking for the nuclear codes.

• Upvote 1

Tesla have their first generation of Powerwall shipping already. 

https://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/powerwall

I have solar panels fitted (yes I have a smug look on my face as I type) and the company who monitor have already contacted me about fitting a Powerwall.

http://www.solaredge.com/files/pdfs/optimizing_self_consumption_flyer_eng.pdf

• Upvote 1

Windmills.

Hes a big fan.

But unlike you Den Quixote I don't try and joust with them.

Dennis Tooth, tilting at windmills since time began...

Hows your job with the tax dodging, fracking licence holding, subsidy based privatised energy provider going?

Must be easy work when the tax payer pays for you to maintain an existence means we get the benefit of your wisdom on here. Im just jealous.

If I had your job Id have plenty of time to consider the merits of whatever youre talking about now. Alas!

• Upvote 1

Hows your job with the tax dodging, fracking licence holding, subsidy based privatised energy provider going?

Must be easy work when the tax payer pays for you to maintain an existence means we get the benefit of your wisdom on here. Im just jealous.

If I had your job Id have plenty of time to consider the merits of whatever youre talking about now. Alas!

Not bad mate, thanks for asking. If you had my job when would you have the time to write those lovely poems we all so enjoy?

Maybe we could do a job swap, what will I be doing Den? So far I'm thinking a swash buckling social justice warrior/poet/hit man.

No the reality is much more crushing, im a security contractor for crown estates but looking elsewhere as its rather boring. Not that id swap with you though. Ironic isnt it? But here we are. Wherever you go, there you are as a wiseman once said.

I thought security rang a bell but didn't want to get you mixed up.

I'll let others see the irony on you working for the man. Way to show him!

I dont work for the man I work for the maam.

Its more efficient to attack the host from within the womb. And in any case save for building a nest in a tree i have no more method for extracating myself from the system than you. Unlike you however I am uneducated enough to see a path out.

Smashing the system, one stolen toilet roll at a time.

• Downvote 1

Left his face in his intellectual metaphysical cornflakes

no beef just quorn cakes

Ricos a gasman an early canary when the dawn breaks

Government balls slapping on his worn face

Lovely, might have it tattooed on my ribs.

There was a young man called Dennis

A revolutionary or so he'd tell us

In fact he works for the Queen

Protecting her things

Or collecting what the corgis have left us

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
Cost of decommissioning Fukushima No. 1 to reach hundreds of billions of yen a year

KYODO

OCT 25, 2016

ARTICLE HISTORY

PRINT SHARE

The cost of scrapping the damaged Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant is set to rise to hundreds of billions of yen annually from the previously projected ¥80 billion a year, according to a new government projection disclosed Tuesday.

Under the projection by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and based on the estimated 30-year time frame to complete the decommissioning, the total cost will likely exceed the ¥2 trillion initially forecast by Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc.

The plant was ravaged by the March 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami and three of its reactors subsequently suffered meltdowns.

METI presented the estimate at a meeting of a panel of experts set to discuss reforming Tepco’s management and helping finance the decommissioning work.

The ministry also presented the panel with a plan to spin off Tepco’s nuclear power business, aiming to cover the decommissioning cost through aligning with other utilities.

“The panel is considering ways in which Tepco can secure (decommissioning) funds while avoiding an increase in public burden,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said at a news conference. “It is still discussing the issue.”

The utility’s business has taken a heavy blow in the years since the nuclear crisis first began as it wears the costs of cleaning up contaminated areas as well as compensating the people and businesses affected by the incident.

The growing costs of decommissioning Fukushima No. 1 and rising competition in electricity sales as a result of market deregulation prompted Tepco to seek fresh government assistance in July.