You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best age to take your kid to first match?

old skool tom

Lads 5 and aching to go to game but I think he'll have to wait till 6 maybe 7

Think the noise will scare shit out of him at moment,I loved going match but use to cover me ears like a simpleton when we scored or looked like scoring. Used to frighten life out of me haha

Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

• Upvote 1

Lads 5 and aching to go to game but I think he'll have to wait till 6 maybe 7

Think the noise will scare shit out of him at moment,I loved going match but use to cover me ears like a simpleton when we scored or looked like scoring. Used to frighten life out of me haha

I went to my first game after giving my Dad grief when I was 6 & all I can remember was being bored out of my tits for two hours (it was Carlisle Utd to be fair), I'd probably say 7 or 8 although my brother has taken his wee boy who is 4 in a couple of weeks to Ibrox twice (poor little bastard) & he's been fine. Probably depends on how happy is the kid is sitting still for extended periods.

If the next few seasons are anything like the end of last one, I'd say 18.

Took my eldest on his 5th birthday,.but only so I could still go the match and not get the guilt trip from the wife.

Mate of mine, his dad knew a few people and he got us in the players lounge after the game. Got his photo with all the players, it was the beginning of Owen's first full season, got some cracking pics. Also took a footy and got it signed.

Great memories, only problem was he thought that happened after every game!

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

Took my lad to his first game when he was 5. It was a reserve game at Anfield and he lasted the first half and didn't want to stay. It was against the mancs and Ruddock broke Andy Cole's leg in two places and received a booking for it. I also took my daughters to their first games at a similar age (no leg breaks) but they were cup games, so cheaper. Once they were all hooked it was the four of us at a lot of games and a lot of cost. These days I go with one of them at a time. 

I do have some sympathy for parents these days, taking a youngster to his first match, if you can get the tickets, it can cost you well over £100. Let's not then forget the robbing bastards trying to sell you the shittest food and drink on the planet for a crazy price. 

I'd recommend Alton Towers, or Blackpool. At least at Blackpool there's less ups and downs and considerably less donkeys. 

• Upvote 1

started my Lad at 5  (12 now), started in the Kop, but have now switched to upper annie road, its cheaper in the family section. whatever you do, dont take an ipad, some kids seem to play fifa more than they watch the game, fuckin pisses me off. the last chelsea game torres played in was boss, let him sing the songs with bad language, just made sure Mrs Robbo didnt know

Took son when 6 to pre-season friendly Bayer Leverkuesen I think, my daughter when 6 plus him to Dortmund last season, best to start them off on friendlies and see how they get on.

It worked as went To Leicester NYD 2-2 game we were right behind goal were Gerrard got both penalties so they liked that even if final score not exactly happy one.

Are there no home pre season friendlies this year?

Guest davelfc

Took son when 6 to pre-season friendly Bayer Leverkuesen I think, my daughter when 6 plus him to Dortmund last season, best to start them off on friendlies and see how they get on.

It worked as went To Leicester NYD 2-2 game we were right behind goal were Gerrard got both penalties so they liked that even if final score not exactly happy one.

Are there no home pre season friendlies this year?

No, due to the work on the main stand. 

Take him to see the bitters and that should put him off football for life, I know it seems unkind and maybe even a little harsh but it will be better for him in the long run

This was actually what happened with an old schoolmate of mine.

His arl fella was a blue and he took my mate to Goodison,he fell asleep and then started watching us instead for the rest of his life.(He's still around.)