You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Colombian wants in but Reds prefer Belgian

tlw content

The agent of Sevilla striker Carlos Bacca has opened the door to a move to Anfield, but the Reds are still hoping to lure number one target Christian Benteke away from Aston Villa according to reports.

Liverpool’s interest in Benteke had appeared to have cooled as Villa insisted the only way they would part with their prized asset is if someone triggers his buy out clause by offering £32.5m, and Colombian Bacca was one of the leading alternatives along with Zenit St Petersburg frontman Saloman Rondon.

Backer’s agent, Sergio Barila, is quoted in the Guardian today saying that a move to Liverpool would certainly be of interest to the 28 year old who is currently playing for Colombia in the Copa America.

"“We have had lots of interest but so far there has been no official approach,” Barila told the Guardian. “I spoke with Carlos on Wednesday night and we agreed we need a real solution. Clubs are telling him not to sign anything until they have made an offer but we are still waiting. 

“Liverpool and another English club are among those that have shown an interest but there are also clubs in Italy. What is clear is that they must meet the release clause but at this stage nobody has.

"We are really looking at three things - number one is to have a happy family situation for his wife and son because he had a bad experience in Belgium. The second is to find a good team with a good project. Before he went to Chile, we wrote down a list of clubs that fit that description and Liverpool was on that list.

“The third question is the contract. He has a good salary in Sevilla but we know how much clubs in England can pay.”

However, several Merseyside based journalists reported last night that Benteke remains Brendan Rodgers’ first choice and with the player refusing to sign a new deal at Villa Park the club hope to be able to do a deal for around £25-26m, which is not much more than the buy out clause Bacca has in his Sevilla contract. 

Click here to view the article

Bacca is 29 in September. I'm not in FSG's camp when it comes to 'sell on' value but I do like to think signings can deliver for us for years to come. If he takes a while to get going in the Premier League then he'll be practically 30 by the time he's any use.

If we do sign him I'll still convince myself he'll fire us to glory though.

• Upvote 1

A pretty honest interview. In general a scenario not too dissimilar to Sterling except this guy would be coming not going and we all prefer it when the boot is on the other foot. Benteke will be FSG's first choice by a mile though, they'd hate to buy Bacca.

Because he's cheaper and on less wages?

Bacca is 29 in September. I'm not in FSG's camp when it comes to 'sell on' value but I do like to think signings can deliver for us for years to come. If he takes a while to get going in the Premier League then he'll be practically 30 by the time he's any use.

If we do sign him I'll still convince myself he'll fire us to glory though.

Both Ings and Origi are in their early 20s. We need someone to deliver right now. Whether that player is Bacca, I'm not convinced.

Please, for the love of Ravishing Rick Rude, don't let us get Benteke. I'll support him if he arrives like, but what have "the committee" seen in him to have him worth £30m+?

Nothing given they seem to be bidding 25 million. For 25 million I presume they've seen a 1 in 2 goal scoring record.

I've gone for Benteke, he is 24, knows the league and has proved he can score goals here. Bacca's style and age make me think his body would be shot to pieces within 2 years.

I think Benteke could be our version of Drogba and in the Premiership we have seen how effective that can be for a side.

Plenty of movement in Sturridge, Ings & Origi. Firmino can also play up top. I think we need a different option...

• Upvote 2

We need an experienced goalscorer. Bacca all day for me.

He's not a premiership goalscorer though, this league is a graveyard for oversea's players with big reputations/hype

I'm not saying he can't score here but is he worth the risk over a player who is already proving he can score here?

He's not a premiership goalscorer though, this league is a graveyard for oversea's players with big reputations/hype

I'm not saying he can't score here but is he worth the risk over a player who is already proving he can score here?

No it isn't.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Benteke is expensive but he might be exactly what we need. In his case the Drogba comparisons might actually be a bit more than hyperbole. He often looks completely unplayable.

That he's only of value in the air simply isn't true. He scores all types of goals.

And if we sign him we might beat Villa next season.

I've seen Bacca play a few times, he's impressive but his age and suitability to the English game are a concern at the price being quoted.

What's Rondon like?

I've seen Bacca play a few times, he's impressive but his age and suitability to the English game are a concern at the price being quoted.

What's Rondon like?

Rondon's decent, probably more limited than Bacca. Would be a better signing than Benteke, mind.

What is it about Bacca's game that makes you question his suitability to the English game?

Everybody saw for themselves how many times we got bullied all over the pitch last season against the mancs and Chelsea. You take a team like Chelsea for instance, all of them are built like men, then you look at our little hobbit factory of Allen, Coutinho, Moreno etc and it's easy to see why that happens.

We'll be a tougher team to bully and a tougher team to dominate with Benteke than we would be with Bacca. Bacca would simply be a backup to Sturridge, we have no idea whether he'll cut it in the premier league and by the end of his first season he'd be 30, so your basically banking on him hitting the ground running immediately or being sold for a big loss.

Benteke on the other hand has proved himself for three consecutive seasons, he offers us the ability to lead the line on his own like he does for Villa or with Sturridge when both are fit because they both have different attributes to their game. It's not like he's a clogger, he's actually quite fast, skillful and he's a clinical finisher. Teker's easily.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's about age or being a 'proven' scorer in this league. Yes, Benteke has got goals for Villa and has looked a genuine threat at times but you have to look at how Villa set up and are expected to play compared to how Liverpool and the better sides in this league are expected to play. 

Villa aren't expected to take the initiative in the majority of their matches so their approach is to play on the counter. That means winning the ball in deeper positions, playing it into the front man either down the channels or to hold the ball up and link with players who are trying to catch up and support. They aren't facing teams who 'park the bus' against them so Benteke has a bit more time and space to utilise his attributes.

A side like ours which is expected to take the initiative in games will find that the forwards don't get that time or more importantly, space. They might see more of the ball but much more of their time will be spent dealing with the massed ranks against them. Everything has to be done with less space to work in.

I'm not saying that Bacca would 100% be more suitable and there are aspects of signing him that could prove to be an expensive gamble, but he is playing for a team that likes to be on the front foot and one that comes up against massed ranks of defences more often than not. It's a set up closer to ours than Villa's is.

Benteke has age on his side in that he's not yet reached his supposed peak, but we have a number of forwards who are quite a few years away from being at their peak and who would benefit from working alongside people with more know-how about what it's like to challenge for titles and trophies, prepare for European games in midweek and feature for their country in major tournaments.

Put talented but inexperienced people alongside talented and experienced people and you can create an environment that allows the experienced people a 'second wind' if you like because there is a spring in their step, and the inexperienced ones have more space and less pressure in which to develop. Done correctly, it is these people who could go on and provide the experience and know-how for the next talented but inexperienced generation.

• Upvote 5

Everybody saw for themselves how many times we got bullied all over the pitch last season against the mancs and Chelsea. You take a team like Chelsea for instance, all of them are built like men, then you look at our little hobbit factory of Allen, Coutinho, Moreno etc and it's easy to see why that happens.

We'll be a tougher team to bully and a tougher team to dominate with Benteke than we would be with Bacca. Bacca would simply be a backup to Sturridge, we have no idea whether he'll cut it in the premier league and by the end of his first season he'd be 30, so your basically banking on him hitting the ground running immediately or being sold for a big loss.

Benteke on the other hand has proved himself for three consecutive seasons, he offers us the ability to lead the line on his own like he does for Villa or with Sturridge when both are fit because they both have different attributes to their game. It's not like he's a clogger, he's actually quite fast, skillful and he's a clinical finisher. Teker's easily.

This is quite a compelling argument. I like Benteke, I'm just not sold on the idea that Rodgers would be able to utilise his talents fully.

• Upvote 2