You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner is....

TheHowieLama

...an excellent signing.

If you think of midfielders who can pick out a pass, Milner isn't the first name you'd think of. If you think of midfielders who can make good attacking runs to get into promising positions, Milner isn't the first name you'd think of. If you think of midfielders who can put in a tackle and deal with the physical hustle and bustle, Milner isn't the first name you'd think of. If you think of midfielders who snuff out danger just by their positioning and reading of the game, Milner isn't the first name you'd think of.

Yet he can do all of these things to a very high level, and importantly, he backs himself to do them. He's decisive in his actions rather than dithering, even if it doesn't always come off. It makes a difference because it settles his teammates when they know they've got a reliable player alongside them. Allied to his energy, commitment and work rate, he's one of those who can make others look better.

• Upvote 4

He is a machine.  A clever machine.  With skill and bottle.  Great performance from him again today.  Him and Can worked like Trojans - and I thought Can looked a lot fitter than he has for some time.  

Was doubled over breathing heavy near the end.  Waned in the last 5/10 for me.  Made the substitution of Lucas even more bizarre.

But agree wholeheartedly about Milner.  Great performance.

Agree with Razor, Can was the sub not Lucas, especially as he was on a booking and had gone there last year for two yellows. Perhaps Brendan just wanted to give the departing Brazilian one last chance to be applauded by the Emirates faithful?

Milner is just what we needed, exactly when we needed it. So conditioned to us signing the opposite of that it's hard to believe we've done it.

Lucas was out on his feet.  And when Lucas is tired, he gives away frees in dangerous areas. It was his first proper game of the season so there was no way he was going to make the full 90.

As for Milner, not surprisingly he is proving a very good purchase.  His energy is frightening.  I reckon if him and Henderson were pointed in the same direction and told to run, they'd eventually reverse the way the earth spins like superman did.

Milner is doing ok but not offering much going forward. He will always be a wide player in my eyes. Still unconvinced centrally.

Seriously? We must be watching a different player mate. He was superb last night.
  • Upvote 1

Was doubled over breathing heavy near the end. Waned in the last 5/10 for me. Made the substitution of Lucas even more bizarre.

But agree wholeheartedly about Milner. Great performance.

I thought Can was a bit too laid back at the start but then really dug in and I was surprised by the size of the shift he put in. If he can replicate that every week then we'll have a player on our hands because he remains very composed and has great technique.

I thought Can was a bit too laid back at the start but then really dug in and I was surprised by the size of the shift he put in. If he can replicate that every week then we'll have a player on our hands because he remains very composed and has great technique.

He should have been used in central midfield in that abortion of a season last season, and who knows, he may actually be that player already.

• Upvote 1

Milner, can and Lucas were excellent in the first half as a collective.

They were overrun in the second.

I agree Milner and Can kep going and Lucas got tired but the fat is they completely outplayed us in midfield in the second half so I cannot say Milner was exceptional ut he was impressive in his workrate.

I think the support from Coutinho/ Ibe/ Fimino in the second half in terms of holding possession when we needed was pretty dreadful - coutinho in particular needs to understand more the need to slow it down and keep possession at times - lost possession countless times trying Hollywood moves

Seriously? We must be watching a different player mate. He was superb last night.

I expect more than just hard work in central positions. I never said Milner had a poor game,I just feel he's not offering much in the central areas.

We are so much better defensively when Lucas plays,even if not fully fit.

We do miss Henderson for a bit more creativity to compliment Coutinho.

• Upvote 1

I expect more than just hard work in central positions. I never said Milner had a poor game,I just feel he's not offering much in the central areas.

We are so much better defensively when Lucas plays,even if not fully fit.

We do miss Henderson for a bit more creativity to compliment Coutinho.

If you're expecting 2005 Steven Gerrard levels from him, you're going to be disappointed. Otherwise, he did all anyone could expect last night of a top PL player. He's not a world class talent, but that's hardly a stick to beat him with.