You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner is....

TheHowieLama

• 5 months later...

An absolute legend of the game.

Has there ever been any player who is constantly seen as the weak link by his own fans - who time and time again is treated with contempt - and yet constantly rams those doubts back down their throats?

He's made more people go missing on this forum than any other since I started posting 15 years ago.

He goes down in history as one of our greatest ever servants.

And I reckon he's got another season left in him.

The perfect player for our midfield system, only 5 years too late.

• Upvote 6

Very good yesterday and will be important in the next week. 

There is a good reason we have Milner, City have Fernandinho & Chelsea have Thiago Silva. They might not be able to do it every week, but their incredibly dependable to do the exact job the manager wants. 

1 hour ago, m0e said:

An absolute legend of the game.

Has there ever been any player who is constantly seen as the weak link by his own fans - who time and time again is treated with contempt - and yet constantly rams those doubts back down their throats?

He's made more people go missing on this forum than any other since I started posting 15 years ago.

He goes down in history as one of our greatest ever servants.

And I reckon he's got another season left in him.

The perfect player for our midfield system, only 5 years too late.

Brilliant post. 

• Upvote 1

We need to find a way to keep him. A place on the coaching staff somehow/somewhere would be a great addition to that particular part of the club.

I suspect his desire to keep playing might last longer than Klopp’s inclination to pick him a reasonable amount of times though. This would mean that the path to whatever he does after his playing days are over might have one more stop off.

If he does eventually leave, then he’ll have cemented his place in our history as a great player who didn’t need an armband to be a leader. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

We need to find a way to keep him. A place on the coaching staff somehow/somewhere would be a great addition to that particular part of the club.

I suspect his desire to keep playing might last longer than Klopp’s inclination to pick him a reasonable amount of times though. This would mean that the path to whatever he does after his playing days are over might have one more stop off.

If he does eventually leave, then he’ll have cemented his place in our history as a great player who didn’t need an armband to be a leader. 

A few clubs who have under 23 teams in the EFL trophy are signing older players to play as an overage in the under 23's to act as a mentor to the kids as well as joining the coaching staff. Could be an avenue for Milner in the future.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

This. I've said it before but he's the exact same as Roby who plays rugby for St. Helens, sheer professionism.

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

… gonna be missed here if he goes this summer. Major part of how our dressing room changed into winners. Read an interview with klopp saying Milner would have sorted any issues days before klopp had even heard about them. Hope he gets on the pitch for a few games at the end of the season and gets another 3 winners medals for the collection. 

• Upvote 1