You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Runcorn Thread

• 1 month later...

When I was 10, I went to a primary school that was just about under Runcorn Bridge. I can’t remember the name of it now but I know its not there anymore. I remember a whole lot of brick buildings and no playing field( we had to get on a bus to play footy)

can anyone jog my memory? Cheers

7 hours ago, Red Shift said:

When I was 10, I went to a primary school that was just about under Runcorn Bridge. I can’t remember the name of it now but I know its not there anymore. I remember a whole lot of brick buildings and no playing field( we had to get on a bus to play footy)

can anyone jog my memory? Cheers

Balfour Road School?

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Balfour Road School?

Just doesn’t ring any bells. However, I googled and I think it’s the Holy Trinity C of E which was closed in 1969, ironically, the year I moved to Frodsham Secondary Modern having failed my 11+

• 2 years later...
On 20/07/2015 at 21:24, AngryOfTuebrook said:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/slums-future-given-go-ahead-runcorn-9689824

'Slums of the future' given go-ahead in Runcorn

A flats project in Runcorn described as the 'worst scheme ever seen' by a Halton councillor has been given the go-ahead.

Mark Caine, of the Planning Inspectorate, found in favour of property firm Absolute Living Developments, paving the way for it to convert East Lane House into 448 one-bedroom flats.

Of these units, 394 of them will be ‘studio apartments’ derided as ‘bedsits’ by critics of the project.

Mr Caine’s decision overturns a refusal by elected Halton councillors to reject the scheme.

Opponents to the project have argued that the building will become a ‘slum’, and will cause to parking and traffic problems in the vicinity and neighbouring areas.

Some have said the building also contains asbestos.

Due to a change in the law during the last Parliament, the only factors that could be used to stop converting a building into homes were flood risk, contamination and highways impact.

At first developers planned to provide 60 parking spaces, but increased this to 157 following an outcry.

The planning inspector said that the secretary of state’s comments about homes needing enough places to park vehicles had limited weight in this instance because the flats would not be family homes.

Mr Caine dismissed there being any relevant highways, flood risk or contamination impact.

Critics of the scheme have included Cllr Alan Lowe who said the scheme would create the 'slums of the future' and Cllr Dave Thompson, who called the project 'barmy' and the 'worst he had ever seen'.

In his decision report, published on Wednesday, he said: “Local residents and councillors have also raised a number of other objections.

“These include concerns regarding the proposed mix and tenure, the lack of amenities in the area, the levels of asbestos, the amount of previous fires at the appeal building, anti-social behaviour and noise and disturbance.

“I have also been referred to a previous application at Grosvenor House, and the proposal’s effect on the conservation area and the regeneration of the area have also been put forward.

“However, prior approval applications only allow consideration of specific matters which are in regard to highways impact, contamination and flood risk.

“The matters raised above are therefore not relevant to the proposal and do not form a basis for dismissing the appeal.”

Update: that scheme collapsed and now there's a new scheme that (finally) includes flattening the shithole.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/runcorn-eyesore-east-lane-house-20212851

11 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Yes mate, I don't as much these days but I can play guitar, as can my son (a lot better than me) so occasionally pop into Frailers, it's a great shop, surprised it manages to stay open in these times.

He's been at it a long time , he definitely won't need the money -  does a lot of mail order selling expensive fenders and Gibson's etc . Got to know him a bit a few years ago , he's a great bloke , dry as fuck but sound. 

He was off to the states 3 times a year buying from all the guitar shows , then shipping back home.

• 9 months later...