You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Runcorn Thread

Also:

Puts a slightly different spin on it, if true. Not sure what side I take but it isn't as clear cut as the headline suggests.

This prom shit is fuckin ridiculous,American shite. The only thing that ever happened when I went to school was a school leavers disco where hardly anybody turned up because they'd had enough of the shithole weeks before.

• Upvote 1

This prom shit is fuckin ridiculous,American shite. The only thing that ever happened when I went to school was a school leavers disco where hardly anybody turned up because they'd had enough of the shithole weeks before.

We didn't even have that, we had 'games day', someone would bring Connect 4 in and we'd watch Flight of the Navigator. 

Who are the school to decide what is in the best interests of her, or her fellow students?  Are they worried that she may spoil the prom picture because she has some tubes sticking out of her?  Or do they just not want to be arsed having to deal with her if she suddenly feels ill?  I'd have thought that after fighting cancer this would have been just the pick-me-up needed for her.  I wonder if any of her friends will have the balls to boycott the event and maybe do something with her on the night.

Who are the school to decide what is in the best interests of her, or her fellow students?  Are they worried that she may spoil the prom picture because she has some tubes sticking out of her?  Or do they just not want to be arsed having to deal with her if she suddenly feels ill?  I'd have thought that after fighting cancer this would have been just the pick-me-up needed for her.  I wonder if any of her friends will have the balls to boycott the event and maybe do something with her on the night.

Does she even have tubes sticking out of her?

How do the school even know what condition she is in, what level of care would be required to be safe and acceptable etc if she can't make it in for a single hour in the weeks leading up to the prom? It seems she received a pretty reasonable request and warning as to what would be required. There is no evidence at all that they have a problem with her ruining the prom 'picture'. The problem seems to be that the school have no clues at all to her current condition and ability to safely attend such an event.

What I wonder is, what the girl and or parents reactions were to the request that she attend school for an hour each day leading up to the prom? Did they respond to the school rejecting this request? Or did they just ignore it?

Again, I feel for the girl but I can see both sides of this.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like they're worried about her 'kicking off' or causing a scene because of her anxiety, which is an outrageous reason to ban her. Yeah, god forbid the poor girl has a panic attack and disrupts Wigfield or whatever the fuck.

Does she even have tubes sticking out of her?

How do the school even know what condition she is in, what level of care would be required to be safe and acceptable etc if she can't make it in for a single hour in the weeks leading up to the prom? It seems she received a pretty reasonable request and warning as to what would be required. There is no evidence at all that they have a problem with her ruining the prom 'picture'. The problem seems to be that the school have no clues at all to her current condition and ability to safely attend such an event.

What I wonder is, what the girl and or parents reactions were to the request that she attend school for an hour each day leading up to the prom? Did they respond to the school rejecting this request? Or did they just ignore it?

Again, I feel for the girl but I can see both sides of this.

Her parents will be worried sick and things get overlooked when your child has cancer,the kid deserves a bit of fun lets see how the arsewipe who made the decision would feel the if he had child in the same situation,cunts trick.

They're a school. They have a duty of care to her, as they do to all the other pupils. If she hasn't been in school in 6 months, at all, not even for an hour, then there are inherent risks in a blind assumption that she'll be OK at the prom. They tried to mitigate the risk with the request about attending for an hour a day leading up to the prom.

And I wasn't being critical of her parents. I am genuinely curious as to how that request was received, if it was responded to.

It's sad that it happened, but I can see why it has, based on the albeit limited evidence.

They're a school. They have a duty of care to her, as they do to all the other pupils. If she hasn't been in school in 6 months, at all, not even for an hour, then there are inherent risks in a blind assumption that she'll be OK at the prom. They tried to mitigate the risk with the request about attending for an hour a day leading up to the prom.

And I wasn't being critical of her parents. I am genuinely curious as to how that request was received, if it was responded to.

It's sad that it happened, but I can see why it has, based on the albeit limited evidence.

I'd imagine the Hospital have given the child there permission to attend they will take all the risk assements needed and inform the school if approached,as for the 1 hour a day the child may not have been able to attend due to circumstances which have not come to light,believe me when your child is in a critical condition anything around you doesn't matter as you only have one thing on your mind and that's the health of your child mate,let's hope the kids don't attend as has been mentioned and do something with the poor kid instead.

1) I'd imagine the Hospital have given the child there permission to attend they will take all the risk assements needed and inform the school if approached,

2) as for the 1 hour a day the child may not have been able to attend due to circumstances which have not come to light,

3) believe me when your child is in a critical condition anything around you doesn't matter as you only have one thing on your mind and that's the health of your child mate,let's hope the kids don't attend as has been mentioned and do something with the poor kid instead.

1) random speculation

2) not for a single hour over the 2 weeks? then it's to be assumed these circumstances miraculously disappeared just in time for the prom? why haven't they come to light?

3) i would agree, their heath is priority. That's irrelevant to the prom though. She took off school for 6 months because her health came first, and that's great. But if she wasn't fit to be in school at all then how are the school to know it's safe or wise for her to attend prom? And I hope her friends do something with her to help her and make her feel better whether they miss their own prom to do it or not

Anyway, it's an emotive topic and that will only increase disparity on how people view the situation. If it was my daughter I think I'd be gutted for her but I don't think I'd be pointing fingers at the school or demanding this or that. Again, depends on how the request was delivered, and how any response from the parents was handled.

1) random speculation

2) not for a single hour over the 2 weeks? then it's to be assumed these circumstances miraculously disappeared just in time for the prom? why haven't they come to light?

3) i would agree, their heath is priority. That's irrelevant to the prom though. She took off school for 6 months because her health came first, and that's great. But if she wasn't fit to be in school at all then how are the school to know it's safe or wise for her to attend prom? And I hope her friends do something with her to help her and make her feel better whether they miss their own prom to do it or not

Anyway, it's an emotive topic and that will only increase disparity on how people view the situation. If it was my daughter I think I'd be gutted for her but I don't think I'd be pointing fingers at the school or demanding this or that.

I have been through this situation with one one my children ( not Cancer but a life threating ilness)so dont tell me its speculation I have an idea how these things work and if you have had the same experience we'll beg to differ.

I am a bit sceptical that someone would be unfit to attend school for six months, but suddenly fit and able to attend a party immediately after the school year has finished. I do not blame the school, who have legal obligations towards not just this child, but all the others, for sharing some of that scepticism.

• Upvote 1

I am a bit sceptical that someone would be unfit to attend school for six months, but suddenly fit and able to attend a party immediately after the school year has finished. I do not blame the school, who have legal obligations towards not just this child, but all the others, for sharing some of that scepticism.

Relaxation and 'fun' is actively encouraged as a way to beat anxiety and depression, I've worked with people lots of times who were signed off work long term but who would still be seen out on the lash at the weekend, 'doing things that make you happy' are part of the actual treatment. What should this girl be doing? Sitting in her room listening to Radiohead? 

• Upvote 1

I always went to the school disco, how else would I defend my knee sliding across the dance floor world title 1979 Trophy.

Relaxation and 'fun' is actively encouraged as a way to beat anxiety and depression, I've worked with people lots of times who were signed off work long term but who would still be seen out on the lash at the weekend, 'doing things that make you happy' are part of the actual treatment. What should this girl be doing? Sitting in her room listening to Radiohead? 

I agree that the chances are, it would have been beneficial for her. But the school hadn't seen her for 6 months. They were operating on zero evidence (other than she wasn't fit to come into school for an hour) so that had to err on the side of caution.

What if she locks herself in a toilet?  Yeah, because no teacher has ever faced that situation before in the normal course of running a school. Quite amused with what her mum has to say about the school motto at the end.

Poor kid. Still, at least she has her nursing training to look forward to.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/girl-face-cancer-banned-prom-13259580

A teenage girl recovering from a face cancer operation was left devastated after being banned from attending her school prom.

Alex Dallas, 16, claimed the school were discriminating against her after allegedly deciding she was too “mentally unstable” to attend.

She had been through a 12-hour operation last December to remove part of a tumour on her head after she was diagnosed with a rare cancer as a toddler.

The Year 11 pupil at Ormiston Bolingbroke Academy in Runcorn is now in the clear, but has suffered with anxiety and depression since the surgery.

She has been schooled at home and a special training centre, but was looking forward to attending the prom to mark the end of her time at the school.

But she was devastated when she heard the school had set conditions for her to go.

The school told the ECHO: “We wanted to make sure attending the event was in the best interests of this student, and indeed her fellow students.

“Because she had not been into school for six months, we asked her to come in for one hour a day over a two-week period before the prom, so we could make an assessment and so she could interact with other students. Unfortunately she did not do so and so we reluctantly took the decision that it would not be right for her to attend the event.”

Alex, from Runcorn, said she would have been happy to have a proper psychological assessment, but said the school never actually offered one.

She said they had simply wanted her to go into class, and suggested it would have worsened her anxiety and been much harder than the prom.

She told the ECHO: “I was upset I couldn’t go. It upset me to say I’m mentally unstable - I’m not. People shouldn’t discriminate for something they don’t understand.

“It’s not like I’m the only person with mental health issues.”

Mum Sam Mattison, 39, had ordered her a specially customised £380 baby pink lace dress and bought Alex £60 diamante encrusted shoes for the big day and her grandmother Lorraine Gotting, 59, arranged months ago for her to have her hair, nails and make-up done at a cost of more than £100.

“My dress was a baby pink fitted mermaid dress with a sweetheart neckline and no straps,” said Alex.

“It was going to have white lace covering it but days after my last fitting, last month or the month before, school told me I couldn’t go to prom.

“Luckily the dressmaker said she didn’t want to let it go to waste and said she’d make it into a dress I could wear for another occasion for no extra charge.”

Sam said: “My daughter’s been through hell and she wanted to finish school on a high with all her friends, most of whom she’s known since nursery.

“She’s 4ft 5 and four stone, she’s not a threat. She wanted to be treated like every other child and she’s been denied her big night.

"The school have really let her down, considering what she’s been through.

“She was bald on her first day of school aged four from chemotherapy.

“Now she’s a normal teenager, but needed time to recover medically and mentally after 12 hours of hell in her operation last year.

“The school say it’s a safeguarding issue, and asked ‘what if she locks herself in a toilet’ and said they couldn’t supervise her.

“She wouldn’t do that, and there were plenty of staff at the prom anyway. There’s been no psychological assessment offered - they’re talking s***.”

Sam added: “She needed this, she’s just had her head sliced open in a massive operation. She was desperate to have everything sorted by her prom date.

“I took Alex to a dress maker because of everything she’d been through, I wanted to spoil her. I had her shoes specially made because she is only a size one.”

But instead of going to the ball at Liverpool’s Royal Liver Building, Alex was at home, in tears watching her friends celebrate on social media.

Sam said: “The school’s motto is every child matters – why didn’t my child matter?”

Alex was diagnosed when she was four after her mum noticed a swelling above her right eye and took her to hospital. Radiotherapy and chemotherapy caused kidney disease and severe osteoporosis that affected her height.

But the schoolgirl battled back and is due to start training as a nurse in September after sitting GCSEs in English, Maths and Science.

Sam said: “We can’t turn the clock back but I’m speaking out because I don’t want there to be another Alex. To a lot of adults it is a glorified disco but to 16 year olds it means the world.”

IMG_6619.png

What if she locks herself in a toilet?  Yeah, because no teacher has ever faced that situation before in the normal course of running a school. Quite amused with what her mum has to say about the school motto at the end.

Poor kid. Still, at least she has her nursing training to look forward to.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/girl-face-cancer-banned-prom-13259580

Nice to see the young girl going into nursing and will be able to help people who might be going through the same expeiences she's had,she's learnt one lesson there some horrible cunts about,good luck and health to her in the future.

• Upvote 1

We didn't even have that, we had 'games day', someone would bring Connect 4 in and we'd watch Flight of the Navigator.

I am speaking specifically about the very last year,not each year as games day was what we had too. I was trying to compare like for like,prom v school leavers disco. I had fucked off weeks before so only fleeting memories of what really happened.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Searching for the heart of Runcorn in a town divided between old and new

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/searching-heart-runcorn-town-divided-17770374

As the first comment said 'It's a depressing shithole.' He must be a local as its exactly what I would have said.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

I always go that butchers for my bacon ribs, it's the only place in the Old Town worth the visit.

He’s sound, Gary. Been there for as long as I can remember. Haven’t seen him for years though. They’re all reminiscing about the old market but that was an absolute shithole as well. It made St John’s market look like Harrods. 

• Upvote 1