You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Runcorn Thread

• 1 year later...

Was in Runcorn Shopping City the other day and it was miles nicer than I remember. Remember going there as a nipper, they had a Zodiac toy shop, me mum got me a Matchbox Knight Rider. Superb.

Its a ghost complex now with only thrift shops,bookies and coffee shops left there. A sure sign of tory Britain.

Its a ghost complex now with only thrift shops,bookies and coffee shops left there. A sure sign of tory Britain.

Say that about anywhere though to be fair, saw empty units at the Trafford Centre a few months back, the fucking Trafford Centre.

Sorry to hear that. I have a soft spot for the place having worked next door to it for a number of years. I haven't been there since I left in 2006 but I would have guessed it had met the same fate as the mall I was in over Christmas in Wigan. The only occupied unit was the one right on the High St. Grim.

Was in Runcorn Shopping City the other day and it was miles nicer than I remember. Remember going there as a nipper, they had a Zodiac toy shop, me mum got me a Matchbox Knight Rider. Superb.

Ha, I bought a Hot Wheels K.I.T.T. the other day in Poundworld.

Liverpool though, not Runcorn; I don't want my face to melt off.

• Upvote 1

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Widnes

Highlights.

Motto: We Don't Smell Anymore, Honest!

At this time, the intention was for Widnes to make up the newly created Merseyside; however, no one in Widnes really wanted to do this, instead wanting to remain in Lancashire but as Lancashire wanted rid of Widnes, they conspired to sneak the town onto Cheshire’s list. Cheshire was blissfully unaware until it was too late. Having already failed to dump Warrington into Greater Manchester, Cheshire was gutted.

The chemical factories of course needed workers and due to the appearance and smell one develops after a few weeks in a chemical factory, they were seldom welcome in the established towns in the neighboring areas, even the leper colony that later became St Helens would not tolerate the presence of a Widnes worker. As such, housing was built surrounding the factories and thus Widnes as we know it today was born.

The impact of the chemical industry has had a greater impact on the environment and health of Widnes than the Chernobyl disaster had on their residents, the difference being the residents of Chernobyl had the sense to leave.

Modernisation of the chemical industry means that the smell has gone and with it, a sense of identity for Widnes. For years, the smell was the only thing, good or bad, that could be associated with the town and now that it has gone, it is unexpectedly missed. So much so, Widnes residents are asking the government to force chemical companies to release more pollution to try and recapture the essence of Widnes.

Academics had long speculated as to the results of linking these two population groups from Widnes and Runcorn. It was along the lines of introducing two separate troops of baboons in a zoo in that they were going to fight, shag, throw poo at each other or a combination of all three. There was some poo throwing and fighting but on the whole, it was mainly fornication. As such, the bridge facilitated the most significant widening of the gene pool in this area in a century.

• Upvote 1

Was it a licensed Knight Rider or just a car that happened to look like it?

Fuck that, I've never shagged anyone from Widnes and I'm mortally offended at the mere suggestion!!

A wise move, my friend. I made that mistake myself.

What's the going rate for a navy boy in Widnes?

I shagged a girl from Widnes once and although she was pretty tidy, the ensuing smell emanating from inside her knickers put me off ever doing it again. The stench hung around the room for a couple of days, even with the window open, the sheets washed multiple times and air freshener sprayed round constantly. You couldn't pay me to do that again.

I feel a bit sick.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/teenager-cancer-recover-prom-ban-16-year-old-orminston-bolingbroke-academy-runcorn-cheshire-a7820601.html

A teenager recovering from cancer has spoken of her devastation after her school banned her from its prom because she hadn’t attended enough classes.

Sixteen-year-old Alex Dallas, who attended Orminston Bolingbroke Academy in Runcorn, Cheshire, had been suffering from cancer from the age of four.

In preparation for the prom, she decided to undergo a life-threatening operation to remove a tumour in her head in December last year, rather than in the summer.

Following the operation, she took home tuition lessons in order to remain up-to-date with her learning.

However, the school said she had failed to attend class for two weeks beforehand, the requirement for pupils who wanted to go to the prom. 

[Apparently, this is what you get when you merge Brookvale Comp and Norton Priory and then convert the result to an academy.]

• Upvote 1

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/teenager-cancer-recover-prom-ban-16-year-old-orminston-bolingbroke-academy-runcorn-cheshire-a7820601.html

A teenager recovering from cancer has spoken of her devastation after her school banned her from its prom because she hadn’t attended enough classes.

Sixteen-year-old Alex Dallas, who attended Orminston Bolingbroke Academy in Runcorn, Cheshire, had been suffering from cancer from the age of four.

In preparation for the prom, she decided to undergo a life-threatening operation to remove a tumour in her head in December last year, rather than in the summer.

Following the operation, she took home tuition lessons in order to remain up-to-date with her learning.

However, the school said she had failed to attend class for two weeks beforehand, the requirement for pupils who wanted to go to the prom. 

[Apparently, this is what you get when you merge Brookvale Comp and Norton Priory and then convert the result to an academy.]

Horrible shit unfair world in horrible shit unfair world shocker.

Also:

A spokesperson told The Sunday Mirror: “We wanted to make sure attending the event was in the best interest of this student, and indeed her fellow students.

“Because she had not been in school for six months, we asked her to come in for one hour a day over a two-week period before the prom, so we could make an assessment and so she could interact with other students.

“Unfortunately she did not do so and so we reluctantly took the decision that it would not be right for her to attend the event.”

Puts a slightly different spin on it, if true. Not sure what side I take but it isn't as clear cut as the headline suggests.

• Upvote 1