You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

I don't drink mate but what was Xabis role? The way I remember it he helped the dm defensively, kept possession and got the ball to the ams as soon as possible. Allen is certainly capable of that.

The way i remember Alonso is 40 yard passes sprayed all over the field, half way line goals, great free kicks, pure elegance in possession. The way i remember Allen is 5 yard passes sideways and getting physically bullied by everybody, case in point...

https://vine.co/v/O5j03HPqIw6

Not saying he's a bad player although i think he's equally as pointless as Lucas, but there really is no comparison to be made between them two. Out of all our midfielders the only one that could attempt the Xabi role would be Can.

• Upvote 2

Id play a 4231 and bring in a dm to do the masch role and let Allen do the Xabi role, I agree with you though it looks like BR is planning to use the diamond and Milner and Henderson in a two would be shit.

The thing with 4231 is you need a very solid 2 in between the back four and the front four. We just don't have that personnel and more to the point we're highly unlikely to buy that personnel either. Maybe Can and Lucas when both fit might work because Can needs that defensive solidity next to him if in a 2. Even then though Henderson and Milner are going to play, Coutinho is going to play and Firmino is going to play so that's 4 positions taken up on top of a striker (if we're soft enough to pay 30 million for Benteke then he's going to play and then there's Sturridge as well). I just hope there's the necessary strategic thought going into the squad planning that was so absent last year when putting the squad together. Let's hope Rodgers knows how to use Firmino, for example.

The problem is the way the squad has been set up we've got plenty of players who can play next to or in front of a DM, but who can't play there themselves and struggle without one.

Alonso when he was playing for us had arguably the best passing range of any footballer on the planet.

You'd have to be a proper loon to think Allen could do what Alonso did for us.

Can Allen not do the things required in the role I said? I'll agree Allen doesn't have the passing range of Alonso but you don't need to be hitting 40 yard balls to get it to the ams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So Ings has the same style as Fowler and Allen can play Alonso's role.

Awesome stuff.

Both statements are correct so what's your point? I've never argued that the two players were as good as the two I'm comparing them two.Typical response from tlw to criticise an opinion rather then prove it wrong some way.

There are players in the championship who would play a similar style or way to Alonso or Fowler it's nothing to do with comparing their ability.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can Allen not do the things required in the role I said? I'll agree Allen doesn't have the passing range of Alonso but you don't need to be hitting 40 yard balls to get it to the ams.

Alonso was getting the ball to the number 10, the wide forwards, and the centre forwards. Or just shooting from 65 yards.

You could have Allen there, but he's such a limited player I don't think it would be all that beneficial for the team. He has shown no ability to spring counter attacks.

I really worry about our midfield, don't actually rate any of Allen, Henderson, or Milner as central midfielders. Lucas is probably going (and half the player he was, plus Rodgers rarely players a proper DM anyway), and Can whilst a promising footballer is incredibly inexperienced as a central midfielder. 

None of them have stand out attributes, or a clearly defined role, and a lot of that is the fault of the manager for playing 700 formations usually with several players playing in positions they can't play.

Alonso was getting the ball to the number 10, the wide forwards, and the centre forwards. Or just shooting from 65 yards.

You could have Allen there, but he's such a limited player I don't think it would be all that beneficial for the team. He has shown no ability to spring counter attacks.

I really worry about our midfield, don't actually rate any of Allen, Henderson, or Milner as central midfielders. Lucas is probably going (and half the player he was, plus Rodgers rarely players a proper DM anyway), and Can whilst a promising footballer is incredibly inexperienced as a central midfielder.

None of them have stand out attributes, or a clearly defined role, and a lot of that is the fault of the manager for playing 700 formations usually with several players playing in positions they can't play.

Alonso was the dream player for that position as he could pick out any player from that position and also put in a defensive shift.Imo Allen could do very well in that role as he likes to play the ball forward quickly and is strong defensively, unfortunately I don't see it ever happening.

As for next season it looks to me like we will be playing a three in midfield whether that be 442 diamond, 433 or whatever.Maybe Henderson and Milners energy can cover someone like Can as a dm but Id atleast like a fall back option incase it doesn't.

All season it's looked like Lucas was off but with BR seeming to be reluctant to get a dm and a new big name Brazilian coming in I'm getting the impression he's going to stay as backup and to help our big money signing settle in Liverpool.

• Downvote 1

As if Allen, or anyone else, doesn't play exactly as the manager says. Because given the choice, who wouldn't want to loll around the pitch, fire away from 30+ yards whenever he fancied it, never track back and never press?

Players don't necessarily do what their best at, nor play in their best position. Certainly not at this club.

I think the general point about our midfield is well made. Allen, Milner and Henderson are all decent enough, but none of them are so good that I'd be gutted if they weren't ours. Lucas is not what he once was and Can is a good prospect but there are question marks. We are going to need a couple of them to step up and show us what they can do.

Hopefully that will be helped by Rodgers playing them in a position to give them a chance to shine, in a balanced team, and with some consistency that doesn't chop and change it so much. I'd say that's where the biggest question mark arises. Will the manager set it up right? Remains to be seen...

• 4 weeks later...