You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

This happens every season, Bobby always starts slow in terms of goals then goes on a run, this season is no different to last season or season before, the midfield definitely plays a part because at the moment we are lacking creativity, Keita has been injured and struggled to adapt so far and I think we are missing Ox.

Another factor is the amount of times during the game that hes moved around rather than being left in his central role, he’s dropping so deep to try and make things happen at the moment, it’ll come.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

This happens every season, Bobby always starts slow in terms of goals then goes on a run, this season is no different to last season or season before, the midfield definitely plays a part because at the moment we are lacking creativity, Keita has been injured and struggled to adapt so far and I think we are missing Ox.

Another factor is the amount of times during the game that hes moved around rather than being left in his central role, he’s dropping so deep to try and make things happen at the moment, it’ll come.

This is all to do with our lack of balance in midfield. Pretty much all of our injury issues are with midfielders and we have to pick the same players over and over again. As much as I will get criticised for saying it,Henderson is a big miss at the moment as we look far more balanced with him playing there. We still need a creative more attacking midfielder but Hendo does a job better than anyone fit at the moment. I'd like to see Shaqiri get more game time as he is the only one who could give us that spark.

Im one of Hendo’s biggest critics but we could have done with him last night for sure, we missed him.

Fabinho was way out of his depth last night but I think it will benefit us long term because that was a welcome to the Premier League last night for him and he needs to step up.

Just not creating enough at the moment, I think the 4/2/3/1 formation is the way to go will Shaq involved, I’d be more than happy seeing Gini and Fabinho alongside each other.

2 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Im one of Hendo’s biggest critics but we could have done with him last night for sure, we missed him.

Fabinho was way out of his depth last night but I think it will benefit us long term because that was a welcome to the Premier League last night for him and he needs to step up.

Just not creating enough at the moment, I think the 4/2/3/1 formation is the way to go will Shaq involved, I’d be more than happy seeing Gini and Fabinho alongside each other.

I didn't think Fabinho did too badly,I'd ague that Wijnaldum did another of his disappearing acts and was far worse than Fabinho and Milner.

Everyone saying that Bobby is boss is absolutely correct.

But unfortunately, everyone saying that he's been terrible this season is ALSO correct.

Class is permanent, him going through a rough stretch doesn't change the fact that he's a great player. But there is definitely something wrong with him so far this year. He's missing the little flicks and even his first touch has deserted him, which is utterly bizarre as it's usually his best feature. He's not miles off - it's just a little delay, or a slightly-misplaced pass, things like that.

I'd give him a few weeks coming off the bench. Try to jumpstart Mane and Salah a bit with someone else in the middle (I prefer Solanke, but I know that won't be a popular view here). Then once they're back playing better we can reintroduce Firmino and see if we can't figure out what's going on with him. He'll be back to his best eventually, it's just a question of how long it will take.

8 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

You seem to think Bobby doesn't score goals. It's really, really, really bizarre. 

I don’t think he scores enough, no. He’s scored two goals in the league so far, quarter way into the season. So run-rate that you get eight goals for the full year. One more goal than Aguero’s current tally already. Would you be happy with that? 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I don’t think he scores enough, no. He’s scored two goals in the league so far, quarter way into the season. So run-rate that you get eight goals for the full year. One more goal than Aguero’s current tally already. Would you be happy with that? 

Your made up scenario, in a different team, not counting other goals? No. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Overall importance mate. 

5 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Good player. I like the stuff he does with his feet.

One of his best attributes is the ability to control the ball with any part of his body. It tends to make the midfielders a bit lazy as they can just blast the ball at him any which way and expect Firmino to control it. He looks to be carrying a major World Cup hangover as his allround play has been dreadful.

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Your made up scenario, in a different team, not counting other goals? No. 

Happy to discuss his actual season-to-date output and compare it to Aguero’s and Kane’s if you prefer. I think he needs to improve, if we are to seriously challenge. 

• Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Happy to discuss his actual season-to-date output and compare it to Aguero’s and Kane’s if you prefer. I think he needs to improve, if we are to seriously challenge. 

It's not right to compare him or his output to Kane and Aguero as they don't have the same roles. Salah is a more appropriate comparison to those two if you want to do that as he is the one who shoots the most in our team by far and is therefore our "finisher" if you will. 

• 3 weeks later...

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was nothing short of praise for one of the Reds front three, 'unbelievably valuable' Roberto Firmino.

"It all depends to what you want to see, what you expect, with what you compare it to," the boss told Sky Sports. "In the game against Fulham, 20 German coaches were in the stadium - I'm not sure how the critics were but when I saw them and we had a drink together, they were saying 'Bobby Firmino! What a player!'

"Because of the small things he's doing, he's working so hard, he's here, he's there, he's got six goals but he opens 5,000 gaps for everybody.

10 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was nothing short of praise for one of the Reds front three, 'unbelievably valuable' Roberto Firmino.

"It all depends to what you want to see, what you expect, with what you compare it to," the boss told Sky Sports. "In the game against Fulham, 20 German coaches were in the stadium - I'm not sure how the critics were but when I saw them and we had a drink together, they were saying 'Bobby Firmino! What a player!'

"Because of the small things he's doing, he's working so hard, he's here, he's there, he's got six goals but he opens 5,000 gaps for everybody.

What does Klopp know!

He scored one and played a great ball for Mane in the build up for the first. He is having to drop deep at the moment to help the build up because the midfield isn’t quite working, and he is less effective because of it as we saw from the first half. He’s great for us though. Form, deep, poor games, whatever. His contribution is huge. 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

He scored one and played a great ball for Mane in the build up for the first. He is having to drop deep at the moment to help the build up because the midfield isn’t quite working, and he is less effective because of it as we saw from the first half. He’s great for us though. 

Interesting thing is that even though he drops very deep at times,with Shaqiri in the team we still tend to have three attackers ahead of him. Using Shaq allows Bobby more time and space.