You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

I think Firmino and Mane will be a lot more decisive next season, they’ve seen how many goals Salah has scored from being direct and making his mind up early that he’s going for goal and that’s exactly what makes us so devastating in attack. Firmino and Mane sometimes dither when through on goal like they haven’t made their mind up what their next move it, whilst Mo knows what he’s going the moment he’s through on goal, which in return makes him so calm. Like with Mane yesterday granted it was a terrible run from Salah because he got way to close to Mane, he could have even run to the other side and completely baffled the keeper but he did come to close, anyway Mane wasn’t totally sure what he was going to do and I think Salah sensed it and so did the keeper, if he’d been direct and just went for goal Salah wouldn’t have even been an option to pass too or if he did pass it he could have made up his mind earlier and we’d have scored. What I’m saying is I don’t think Firmino or Mane will be like that next season nor do I think Salah will score as many but I can see them all getting around 30 next year easily.

If that website didn’t exist, would you have any idea what you were watching in front of you?

He was playing up front for most of the second half up to going off on Sunday, with Solanke playing wider than him.

Watch the match, trust what you see, and don’t constantly look for validation of it from the fucking internet.

• Upvote 3

So what you’re saying is that you watched Firmino playing for a nearly relegated Hoffenheim team scoring 7 goals all season and then 5 the following season when they finished 11th. That bloody idiot Rodgers should have signed him then and played him as a no. 10 behind Suarez. He just wouldn’t listen though. Instead he kept playing that fucking 433 formation and he couldn’t even win the league the clown.

He 100% did. I remember him posting about wanting to sign Firmino while Suarez was still an LFC player.
  • Upvote 1

Oh - we have a problem - because TranfrMarket shows him playing 8 times (and scoring a goal a game!!)  -- not only that his WhoScored rating is off the charts when he plays CF (in fact he would easily be the highest rated player in the league as the CF).

I then went on Wikipedia and see that means he has officially played as our Center Forward about 14% of the time - that does not even include the times when he just went upfront for a spell. 

TBH it looks like he is a better CF than Firmino after seeing that. 

The obsession with a player's "natural position" is ridiculous anyways. All the best managers today value versatility and can find creative ways to use players.

Klopp's done it with Firmino, Lallana and Milner to good effect and Pep has done it with countless players throughout his career, including Messi, Lahm, Kimmich, Alaba, Delph, David Silva, etc... Salah could easily play upfront if Klopp wanted to put him there and he often ends up central during games anyways. 

Oh - we have a problem - because TranfrMarket shows him playing 8 times (and scoring a goal a game!!) -- not only that his WhoScored rating is off the charts when he plays CF (in fact he would easily be the highest rated player in the league as the CF).

I then went on Wikipedia and see that means he has officially played as our Center Forward about 14% of the time - that does not even include the times when he just went upfront for a spell.

TBH it looks like he is a better CF than Firmino after seeing that.

6 times actually. They would’ve included those games when we played Ox wide and we played him alongside Firmino, where as I’m guessing whoscored would’ve recognised him as a second striker. Hardly countless considering we’ve played 51 games this season at no point did he ever play as our centre forward on his own.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/mohamed-salah/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/148455/saison/2017/pos/14

Also I did rep him for his effort.

Can only imagine Jurgens face if he were to sit down and read the last couple of pages of this thread.

I'd like to think that he'd recognise that the fans realise how reliant we are on our front three and we can see the need for better quality cover for them. I'd like to think he fully understands this and is fighting for signings with the owners while he is a position of strength.

He 100% did. I remember him posting about wanting to sign Firmino while Suarez was still an LFC player.

He very may well have done but I very much doubt it was in the seasons leading up to Suarez’s last which is the only point you could have a go at Rodgers for not signing him and playing him as a no.10 behind Suarez. My point which is why his post is even more laughable is that Suarez's last season was unbelievable. We nearly won the league playing unbelievable footy. If CD is saying he was banging on about signing him then and playing him behind Suarez then he is either completely clueless because it wasn’t what we needed at the time or he’s completely bullshitting. I think it’s the second reason personally.

I think he’s more than likely wanted us to sign Firmino after looking at the numbers in the summer of 2014 which is fair enough. The problem then is that Suarez left that summer so how is Rodgers meant to be fucking stupid for not playing him as a number 10 behind Suarez. The whole post is a comical mess that he tried to dig himself out of and has tied himself in knots. It just looks like your typical dig at Rodgers which usually involves apportioning some blame to him for some weird obscure problem that a fan has invented in his own head. Rodgers had plenty of issues but coming up with never playing Firmino behind Suarez as a number 10 definitely tops the lot of utter nonsense that gets thrown at him.

To even do it in hindsight is ridiculous. Even now Firmino has only played a handful of games as a number 10. It took him a fair while to settle and I honestly think Klopp is the only manager in world football who would have come up with the solution of playing him as a lone striker. That’s the reason he’s been so good.

6 times actually. They would’ve included those games when we played Ox wide and we played him alongside Firmino, where as I’m guessing whoscored would’ve recognised him as a second striker. 

Deliberate misinformation as TransfrMrkt breaks out the games he played a second striker.

I am beginning to question the validity of WhoScored.

Deliberate misinformation as TransfrMrkt breaks out the games he played a second striker.

I am beginning to question the validity of WhoScored.

Agreed, hence I often alternate between the two; whoscored and transfermarkt. Again, happy to be prudent and use the higher number.

Agreed, hence I often alternate between the two; whoscored and transfermarkt. Again, happy to be prudent and use the higher number.

But not happy to use your own eyes and judgement? Why do you have such a downer on yourself?