You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

What is good? He has scored double figures for us in the league every year he has been here after transferred in. Never happened before -- so lets go three years in a row - not Sturridge, not Kuyt, Torres yes, Suarez yes -- now you are into the legends. Sits just behind Rush, Owen, etc.

Of course he has been top, top quality -- played out of position for a third that time by Rodgers. You just didn't notice.

He’s been very good this year. However, he hasn’t always been... along with Moreno, he was the main reason we lost the final against Sevilla. He lost the ball more than anyone on the pitch that evening.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1071454/LiveStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Europa-League-2015-2016-Liverpool-Sevilla

• Downvote 5

He’s been very good this year. However, he hasn’t always been... along with Moreno, he was the main reason we lost the final against Sevilla. He lost the ball more than anyone on the pitch that evening.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1071454/LiveStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Europa-League-2015-2016-Liverpool-Sevilla

Stats again. Do you watch any footy? Go to a match?

Stats again. Do you watch any footy? Go to a match?

I watched the final at a pub in North London. I was at kop end for both the Villarreal game and the United game, as I didn’t want to chance it flying without a ticket. You didn’t have to attack my credibility as a supporter, to argue your point Byrnie.

The main reason we lost the UEFA cup final? Give over.

Sure, he didn’t play well, but neither did Lallana or Coutinho. Milner and Can were dreadful in midfield and Lovren’s head went. Sturridge and Kolo were about the only two that came out with any credit and they were pretty poor in the second half too.

I watched the final at a pub in North London. I was at kop end for both the Villarreal game and the United game, as I didn’t want to chance it flying without a ticket. You didn’t have to attack my credibility as a supporter, to argue your point Byrnie.

I'm not at all attacking credibility, more the posting of stats to back up an argument. I find it odd.

Stats can be very misleading. 

That's as bad as people saying Gerrard's slip against Chelsea was Sakho's fault for passing him the ball!

Brave.

FWIW, I agree. Let's not pretend Firmino has played anywhere near this level for us before, and in his early days his lack of goals was a problem for us quite simply because Salah wasn't here to take on that burden.

I daresay it still will be an issue in some games. For all his goals, they're not usually terrific individual goals, more that he's on the end of something. There are times when we need individual brilliance to score a goal, and I can't recall him scoring a goal like that for us.

But he's been sensational in his build-up play this season. He seems to me to be an old throwback striker to when there were 2 up front, and one was a poacher and the other was a bit of a maverick who could do a bit of everything. Sheringham to Van Nistelrooy, Yorke to Cole, Bebeto to Romario, Gullit to Van Basten, Dalglish to Rush, Beardsley to Aldridge, Bergkamp to Wright.

A joy to watch, though I'll qualify that by saying it's brilliant to watch while Salah continues to score individual worldies to bring the bread home.

https://youtu.be/HnsEC8CIvDk

No one is saying Bobby has not improved his game especially in the last 2 seasons but to say he was hit and miss or hot and cold in that period is not right either. Bobby struggled under Rodgers. He was the right player at the wrong time. Or maybe position. Since Klopp has been here Bobby has consistently given his best and improved year on year. A sign of the lads confidence under Klopp is he wanted to play centre forward and ask for the 9 shirt when it became available. You do not do that without confidence. Some of the stuff said about Bobby is as bad as the Alonso did nothing for 2 seasons shite.

Brave.

FWIW, I agree. Let's not pretend Firmino has played anywhere near this level for us before, and in his early days his lack of goals was a problem for us quite simply because Salah wasn't here to take on that burden.

I daresay it still will be an issue in some games. For all his goals, they're not usually terrific individual goals, more that he's on the end of something. There are times when we need individual brilliance to score a goal, and I can't recall him scoring a goal like that for us.

But he's been sensational in his build-up play this season. He seems to me to be an old throwback striker to when there were 2 up front, and one was a poacher and the other was a bit of a maverick who could do a bit of everything. Sheringham to Van Nistelrooy, Yorke to Cole, Bebeto to Romario, Gullit to Van Basten, Dalglish to Rush, Beardsley to Aldridge, Bergkamp to Wright.

A joy to watch, though I'll qualify that by saying it's brilliant to watch while Salah continues to score individual worldies to bring the bread home.

https://youtu.be/HnsEC8CIvDk

There’s been a few - home to Arsenal last year or the year before, Stoke last year, but that doesn’t stop your point from being valid.

The thing for me though is where you started. It’s not an issue while he has Salah (and Mane) around him, but actually the way he plays (as opposed to an out and out striker) actually mean those players get far more space and service to score those goals.

Salah wouldn’t have his 30+ so far with a more traditional striker up top.

The aspect of firminos game I enjoy so much is his unselfishness. It’s rarely seen in players of his level in any position, never mind your central striker.

If someone’s better placed he’s not only got the vision to see it and the skill to play the pass, but is also never reluctant to lose out on the goal he might score himself.

Had firming been through on goal seconds before half time against Everton, rather than Mane, we would definitely have scored.

I don’t expect all of our players to have that mindset, and neither Salah or Mane are selfish players, but firmino takes it to a new level.

When we’ve needed goals out of nothing in the past it’s (Suarez aside) rarely been from a striker. Gerrard and Coutinho from range have done that.

Maybe Keita will add more of it.

• Upvote 3

The main reason we lost the UEFA cup final? Give over.

Sure, he didn’t play well, but neither did Lallana or Coutinho. Milner and Can were dreadful in midfield and Lovren’s head went. Sturridge and Kolo were about the only two that came out with any credit and they were pretty poor in the second half too.

He lost the ball eight times that game. Two more times than the joint second worst culprits (Can and Sturridge)... combined. He didn’t just play poorly, he was one of the worst players on the pitch.

What’s even more impressive about his unselfishness is the goal bonus he’s on. What is it now that he’s gone past 15 goals? Something like £85k per goal I think. I’d be shooting from fucking everywhere if that was me.

He has some Brazilian gang friend from the favela threatening all the other players for 50% of their goal bonus.

Job's a good un.

He lost the ball eight times that game. Two more times than the joint second worst culprits (Can and Sturridge)... combined. He didn’t just play poorly, he was one of the worst players on the pitch.

They were all one of the worst players on the pitch!

Singling anyone out of that shit fest is ridiculous. I should neg you for making me think about it!

• Upvote 2

If he gets a chance to score against the mancs, he just can't do that looking away thing can he? Fucking hell I'll have a heart attack if he does. Thast just not the game to be doing that, surely. 

Eye, football, foot, net. Use all four please Bobby boy. 

I think those no look photos are a bit misleading. Besides he is Brasilian and Brasilians do outrageous things with a football. Dont they.