You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

On 17/10/2021 at 13:48, dockers_strike said:

Love Bobby, me. He wasnt in the best of form, well, any form really, in the previous 18 months. Still think he missed the crowd and the buzz he gets off us singing his name.

He definitely loved celebrating in front of our fans Saturday- he was buzzing!

Thought he was motm to be honest, but scoring 3 and assisting 1 will normally give you those accolades....

Back to his absolute best in terms of pressing and connecting the dots in our attacking pattern. Not a huge surprise to see us play so well with him back among the three forwards,  but pleasant still.

Shoulde be Salah and him with Mane and Jota rotating in the important (CL, PL) from now on.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He's got his mojo back after a really poor run. The signing of Jota was a clever way of relighting his fire and it's worked a treat.

Yeah, I don't think he ever lacked the desire, but our CB crisis and lack of a crowd hit him and his play more than most. Having Jota for rotation of the front three is a huge boost though, as he's versatile enough to do all 3 attacking roles to a good level.

10 hours ago, lebron said:

Haha, ridiculous isn't it?

...lack of goals...something....proper number 9.....something.... losing the ball.... something, something.....

Not like he's been absolutely pivotal to the way we play ever since Klopp arrived...

He had a good game and long may it continue, but you could’ve sworn the way you go on about him he plays like this every week.

He's a world class footballer, shame on those that don't appreciate him.

Read the full transcript of what Klopp says, and you'll maybe see what we would miss if your boy Bamford were to replace him. Thankfully that won't happen as long as Jurgen's in charge.

Anyway, today is not a day to be grumpy and/or settling scores, so apologies if it came out that way! Just super haøøy with that result, performance and that we have a top 3 in the world team (at worst) we get to watch week in, week out!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

He had a good game and long may it continue, but you could’ve sworn the way you go on about him he plays like this every week.

Mate, the reason people who know what they're talking about gas him up all the time even when he's not in great form, is because there's not another player who has his attributes. The workrate and physicality matched with technique and intelligence, you can't find it at his position. You can't replace it like for like with anyone.

Without doubt that was his best performance in over 2 years. He's on a good run at the moment, let's hope he continues.

I don't think it alters he's been poor previously though. And I also think as good players age they all still have spells where they're brilliant, but it's how long they last for and how often they can produce them. That's what we need to see from firmino now. Can he maintain the level he's shown over this last month, because that is what we need. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Einch said:

Was good. I'm wondering how much of that was due to the shambles he was up against. I know it's harsh to bring it up and I'm wondering the same about Keita as well who looked like what I thought we were getting.

I think we can enjoy the performances without the need for declaring them significant beyond that game. Both keita and firmino have ability, it's not in doubt. It's about their capability to deliver regularly. Firmino has been contributing with goals if not performances in recent weeks, so that's all positive, but clearly it needs to be more long term. 

• 2 weeks later...