You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It was good to see him get on the end of things yesterday, but strangely even after scoring a hatrick, he had a quiet game. He needs to do much more of what he did in the 6 yard box yesterday. 

Haaland became a 200 mil player by putting in performances like that ever week.

I'll take it every week.

11 hours ago, lebron said:

One of our players scores a hattrick and doesn't get as much as a threadbump?

Harsh.

I still think we look a lot better with Bobby upfront, leading the press and keeping our midfield and attack together.

I’m rapt for Bobby, he’s a likeable player who works his arse off for the team, but even Klopp said in the post-match interview that it wasn’t his best game other than the goals. Let’s hope he kicks on from here.

22 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I thought Barnesy nailed it pre-game in the studio. Score or not, he’s incredibly important for his service to Mane & Salah. 

He’s got 70 goals though, he’s not THAT far behind the other two.

He’s got a few more seasons at the club though.

7C0C0390-38FA-4D5A-8CE2-C37391293D0F.jpeg

827B4D0C-302E-4A13-ADB5-CD3AB22ECE23.jpeg

95C9A2D0-ADCB-42EA-A9B1-9D0D9D88BA9F.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Code said:

He’s got a few more seasons at the club though.

7C0C0390-38FA-4D5A-8CE2-C37391293D0F.jpeg

827B4D0C-302E-4A13-ADB5-CD3AB22ECE23.jpeg

95C9A2D0-ADCB-42EA-A9B1-9D0D9D88BA9F.jpeg

Yip, true. 
Mo has been in a class of his own, for sure - which tends to relatively make everybody else look ordinary. We even moan about Sadio (103 goals)

I’d argue that if Mo was at CF he wouldn’t have been so prolific, and if Bobby had been on the left or right more consistantly, he may have slotted more ‘Coutinho’ type goals. Those angled shots cutting inside, are a very common score in the Prem for the good strikers.

Having said that, with TAA and Robbo feeding low crosses, Bobby should have poked many more in, from goalkeeper spillages etc

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Love Bobby, me. He wasnt in the best of form, well, any form really, in the previous 18 months. Still think he missed the crowd and the buzz he gets off us singing his name.

He's a nutcase and I love him. Couldn't stop laughing at him after each goal yesterday and then he does this with mo. Excellent stuff. 

Screenshot_20211017-222655_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20211017-222716_WhatsApp.jpg

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Red Shift said:

I thought Barnesy nailed it pre-game in the studio. Score or not, he’s incredibly important for his service to Mane & Salah. 

He’s got 70 goals though, he’s not THAT far behind the other two.

Yeah, which is why stats are only a part of the bigger picture when measuring a player's performance, especially goals and assists. 

The single most important thing for me about Bobby (and others) is that our TEAM functions the best, scores the most goals and lets the fewest in. Recent history suggests that our front three are quite good at getting the best out of each other compared to EVERY OTHER team on the planet. Which again makes it quite strange that most of our supporters (the self-acclaimed most knowledgeable supporters in the world) have such a massive hump against one (or two) of that trio. If you can't appreciate what Bobby does for this team off the ball, linking up, creating space, pressing, it's quite possible that you aren't paying enough attention. If you only judge him on how often he loses possession and how often he scores, he might not seem like the best striker in the world. I wouldn't swap him for anyone else though*, at least not while we are set up like we are. 

Put Haaland, M'bappe, Kane, Ronaldo in instead of him and I guarantee that we function worse as a team, they might score more goals than Bobby, but they would all totally negate what has been so good with our outside forwards.

*Lewandowski is probably the best bet to get the best of both worlds, and if a 26 year version of him was available I'd probably take that.

Paul mentioned in the podcast that Bobby has been playing a lot deeper, and hasn't gotten into the box as much. I agree on that, but that (as much else last year) was a systemic issue much more than by design. With our whole team dropping 15-20 yards deeper to make up for our CB's lack of pace, we generally looked a lot less dangerous. Salah and Mane suffered for that as well, which again makes the whole discussion of which part of the team was the worst last year pointless. I'll be thankful for the service Phillips/Williams/Kabak gave us last year, it helped us secure CL football that those players gave their all for the club. That Vvd/Matip/Gomez was out made the whole team a lot less effective. There's no point in Bobby staying on the 16yd-line/in the box if our CB's are halfway into our own half. The gaps will be (and were at times last year) enormous, making our press a non-factor in most games. In the end we more or less gave up on our press, retreated 20 yards further to protect our backline, and were a lot less adventurous to secure the points needed to get CL. A wise decision, and probably one that should have been made earlier in the season.

Anyway, I digress. Having been a Liverpool-supporter since the mid-eighties, this current team is by far my favourite (as much as I loved watching the 87-88-version). It's frustrating beyond belief that a lot of our fans are getting so spoilt that we nitpick the few holes in this side that are. Grim times ahead for those of you that can't appreciate this group of players (that could also to a lesser degree be said of the ownership, but that's for the other thread I guess).

Last point... I fully support Dave U's narrative about covid-football without supporters in the stands shouldn't count as real football btw (check out Utd's unbeaten away record for further evidence). Our team and that front three thrive when the chips are down and the supporters are loud, Bobby even more so than the other two.

• Upvote 1