You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

he will be out for a decent amount of time, thats why the Club are keeping quiet. Its not that difficult to deduce.

I guess it depends on the grade of the tear. With a hamstring you can never get back early. 

14 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You can’t think that’s acceptable for a club supposed to be trying to win the PL and CL? 

I'd rather we had signed someone Jota-esque this year.

The only point I was making is that Big Div isn't the only - or even the best - option if two of our front three are missing.

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'd rather we had signed someone Jota-esque this year.

The only point I was making is that Big Div isn't the only - or even the best - option if two of our front three are missing.

I’d agree. 

But I’d also make the point there is no acceptable choice bar Jota as back up to the front 3. 

And after only 3 games of the season one of the front 3 is injured, so we have no acceptable backup at all. 

It’s just not on. It isn’t hindsight, plenty have been saying this would happen and plenty have said it’ll happen with the midfield too when you’re relying on the fitness of Ox and Keita. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’d agree. 

But I’d also make the point there is no acceptable choice bar Jota as back up to the front 3. 

And after only 3 games of the season one of the front 3 is injured, so we have no acceptable backup at all. 

It’s just not on. It isn’t hindsight, plenty have been saying this would happen and plenty have said it’ll happen with the midfield too when you’re relying on the fitness of Ox and Keita. 

Totally agree about the strikers but not about the midfield. 8 players for 3 players in midfield is fine in my book.

43 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’d agree. 

We were never going to buy a midfielder in insurance of Keita and Ox getting injured, we simply don't do that. And on paper, there are enough numbers in midfield and players Klopp trusts. 

Forward depth is an obvious potential problem, though, yes. 

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its just bizarre thinking, I don't understand that thought process. Im convinced theres a few on here who have only seen us win the title once in their lifetime.

Anyone under 40 has nothing but vague memories of all bar 1 title. How many have you seen?

11 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

Totally agree about the strikers but not about the midfield. 8 players for 3 players in midfield is fine in my book.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We were never going to buy a midfielder in insurance of Keita and Ox getting injured, we simply don't do that. And on paper, there are enough numbers in midfield and players Klopp trusts. 

Forward depth is an obvious potential problem, though, yes. 

We have a first choice midfield of Fab, Henderson and Thiago. 

All three regularly pick up knocks and miss games. After that we have a 35 year old Milner, Oc and Keita who can never be replied on (even if they are fit) and two promising kids. 

We let our most reliable midfielder go and haven’t replaced him. 

I’ll say it again, this isn’t hindsight, we’ll be fucked in midfield at some point this season the same as we will be upfront. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

We have a first choice midfield of Fab, Henderson and Thiago. 

All three regularly pick up knocks and miss games. After that we have a 35 year old Milner, Oc and Keita who can never be replied on (even if they are fit) and two promising kids. 

We let our most reliable midfielder go and haven’t replaced him. 

I’ll say it again, this isn’t hindsight, we’ll be fucked in midfield at some point this season the same as we will be upfront. 

We have replaced him. We had 8 midfielders last season, with Fabinho also being 4th centre back. We now have 8 midfielders with Elliott coming in, who is clearly a real option there and signed Konaté meaning none of them will in theory have to play centre back. The depth is actually better than last season in midfield.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

We have replaced him. We had 8 midfielders last season, with Fabinho also being 4th centre back. We now have 8 midfielders with Elliott coming in, who is clearly a real option there and signed Konaté meaning none of them will in theory have to play centre back. The depth is actually better than last season in midfield.

Yawn. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, No2 said:

Anyone under 40 has nothing but vague memories of all bar 1 title. How many have you seen?

what i remember...

1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90

Too young to remember the earlier ones even though we were still winning. Spoilt I guess. 87-88 was the best I've witnessed and 85-86 the most enjoyable I think.

Yep I'm getting on.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

What do you mean "yawn" you dipshit, I gave you the answer. Ignore it if you want.

No you parroted the party line, it isn’t an answer. 

Saying we’ve replaced our most reliable midfielder with an 18 year old kid is bullshit, no matter how much hope we all have for him. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, lifetime fan said:

No you parroted the party line, it isn’t an answer. 

Saying we’ve replaced our most reliable midfielder with an 18 year old kid is bullshit, no matter how much hope we all have for him. 

Are you aware that Klopp just played him 90 minutes against Burnley and Chelsea, in midfield? Did you see that? For sure not a real option, though. Is he even part of the squad? Who can say.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine with Elliott being the Wijnaldum replacement. There are similarities because Wijnaldum was a more attacking player at Newcastle, but we converted him in to playing Centre midfielder.

I'm disappointed that we are starting the season with Orgi and Minamino as second choice attackers when we know that they aren't good enough. If we get a serious injury to Salah, where are the goals going to come from? Its very similar to the risk we took with VVD not getting injured last season.

• Upvote 1