You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

He should have slotted that chance in the first half when it broke to him as Pickford had left enough space on his right for him to pass it in the net but instead he done what he always does and took the wrong option and went to the opposite side where they had all their defenders coming in. 

Gini got the ball in our centre circle in the 2nd half and played a 5 yard pass to Thiago, there was a clear channel right through to their centre halves which he looked to fire the ball through and no one was there again. Seconds later Bobby jogs up the screen and into the space in the evs centre circle 30 yards from where he should be and the move had to go sideways to Trent. 

Ive noticed another thing he’s doing now and he’s slowing down when we break so he arrives at the box after the moves finished. 

He’s got no desire at all to get into the box now and wants to hide on the edge of play. He’s spent that much time trying to get these great  for the camera passes that he’s forgot how to do the simple thing. 

He‘ll be happy being a sub here on 200 bags a week but that money should be spent on a top class replacement.

He's not a number 9 because he carries no threat and he’s not a number 10 because he can’t play the killer pass or even a simple one and doesn’t score from outside the box. 

He’s in the way now and needs to be taken out the team while we’ve got a chance to get into the top 4. He’d be benched at everyone else. 

He's always been a crap finisher, we're not learning anything new here.

But can we not talk about lack of desire with him? He might annoy some people with the way he plays but he's a genuinely unselfish player, who runs his tail off and plays a complicated central striker role. He's not "hiding". 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's always been a crap finisher, we're not learning anything new here.

But can we not talk about lack of desire with him? He might annoy some people with the way he plays but he's a genuinely unselfish player, who runs his tail off and plays a complicated central striker role. He's not "hiding". 

Tell me what he does then

I'm not going to sit here and deny that he's been poor, and I'm one of his biggest supporters. I have noticed though that even when he does make runs he doesn't seem to the ball passed to him, particularly by Mané today but Salah and I'm sure the midfielders are guilty of it as well.

It's fair enough that the other two choose to run at their man as they have the speed to do so but sometimes the smart decision is to make the pass, Bobby generally has the opposite problem where he always looks to pass but a lot of that is lack of confidence (I know a lot at this point would say ability). The main issue this season and probably since the restart of last at least is he hasn't even been getting into the positions to make that final pass like he used to.

10 hours ago, The Guest said:

This needs crowds stuff is complete nonsense.  He’s been off the boil for years now.  He had plenty of good games in between but those are now getting less and less.

I've been saying it for ages. He hasn't been the same player since that injury prior to the 2019 CL final. Before that he was still great. But he's fallen off a cliff. 

9 hours ago, ManéMan said:

He's been bad but both Mane and Salah have been poor too. Mane especially so this season. Salah despite his goals offers absolutely fuck all in general play. All three seem to be dispossessed very easily at the moment. 

I'd even go as far saying that in the recent games whenever we have looked dangerous it is when Bobby has shown glimpses of what he can do.

I think at the moment Mane is getting off very lightly.

It's not helping that the midfield behind at the moment is debilitatingly pedestrian. Gini takes too many touches and doesn't know a forward pass if its right in front of him. Jones is likewise too slow on the ball. And Thiago...well he's playing at a level Milner will be in another few years time.

Salah has been poor? Fucking hell. What would he have to do to be good? He's one of the very few shining lights in this shit show of a season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Red74 said:

He should have slotted that chance in the first half when it broke to him as Pickford had left enough space on his right for him to pass it in the net but instead he done what he always does and took the wrong option and went to the opposite side where they had all their defenders coming in. 

Gini got the ball in our centre circle in the 2nd half and played a 5 yard pass to Thiago, there was a clear channel right through to their centre halves which he looked to fire the ball through and no one was there again. Seconds later Bobby jogs up the screen and into the space in the evs centre circle 30 yards from where he should be and the move had to go sideways to Trent. 

Ive noticed another thing he’s doing now and he’s slowing down when we break so he arrives at the box after the moves finished. 

He’s got no desire at all to get into the box now and wants to hide on the edge of play. He’s spent that much time trying to get these great  for the camera passes that he’s forgot how to do the simple thing. 

He‘ll be happy being a sub here on 200 bags a week but that money should be spent on a top class replacement.

He's not a number 9 because he carries no threat and he’s not a number 10 because he can’t play the killer pass or even a simple one and doesn’t score from outside the box. 

He’s in the way now and needs to be taken out the team while we’ve got a chance to get into the top 4. He’d be benched at everyone else. 

He had about 4 opportunities yesterday where I'd expect a good striker to be converting about 50% of the time. One he didn't even get his shot off. Without a shadow of a doubt his performance was on the proper bottom end of what you would expect from a professional footballer. And that's not unusual. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've been saying it for ages. He hasn't been the same player since that injury prior to the 2019 CL final. Before that he was still great. But he's fallen off a cliff. 

Salah has been poor? Fucking hell. What would he have to do to be good? He's one of the very few shining lights in this shit show of a season. 

Yeah I think the same with Bobby, he hasn't been the same since that injury. He was tearing it up until that

People reading some sort of 'personality' into him when he's just a bit of an annoying self-obsessed prick who happens to be play football well below the expected standards for 18 months while people get distracted by shiny things like a no-look pass.  I want a no-look transfer in summer please. 

Just now, stringvest said:

People reading some sort of 'personality' into him when he's just a bit of an annoying self-obsessed prick who happens to be play football well below the expected standards for 18 months while people get distracted by shiny things like a no-look pass.  I want a no-look transfer in summer please. 

I agree he needs to be moved on but that's a bit harsh mate!

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I'm genuinely amazed how sucked in people are about no look passes. It's the same with thiago. They look great for YouTube clips, but they rarely make anything happen. In fact they often catch out the recipient of the pass. There seems to be a misconception in lots of stuff in football that pretty is better than effective. 

9 hours ago, ManéMan said:

He's been bad but both Mane and Salah have been poor too. Mane especially so this season. Salah despite his goals offers absolutely fuck all in general play. All three seem to be dispossessed very easily at the moment. 

I'd even go as far saying that in the recent games whenever we have looked dangerous it is when Bobby has shown glimpses of what he can do.

I think at the moment Mane is getting off very lightly.

It's not helping that the midfield behind at the moment is debilitatingly pedestrian. Gini takes too many touches and doesn't know a forward pass if its right in front of him. Jones is likewise too slow on the ball. And Thiago...well he's playing at a level Milner will be in another few years time.

Mane and Salah have both had covid and that can really lower a persons energy levels for a while afterwards. Not sure of Firmino's excuse though.

Although I really like him as a play, I have to admit, my patience has shot with him at the moment. 

I fully appreciate all the hard work etc he puts in, but for all the goal threat he is these days we might as well re-sign Mascherano and play him up front. 

His numbers this season are really poor. 6 goals and 5 assists. Kane has 13 and 11 respectively. I can accept the goals stat difference, I can’t accept the assists difference.

Apparently Shaq and Matip have 2 assists each this season and god knows where they came from, especially as neither hardly ever play. 

He never looked like taking that chance in the first half yesterday. Remember when the ball broke to him v Arsenal the other season and he stuck half their team on their arse and stuck it away? That was a similar chance as yesterday but there was no chance of the same outcome. 

Or the way Jota took his chance v West Ham at Anfield? Absolute chalk and cheese. 

Mane hasn’t been at his best but has still scored more than Firmino. Jota missed the start of the season & hasn’t played since mid-Dec and has 1 goal less that Firmino.

He’s not offering the “other stuff” as much and he’s not scoring enough goals.

Apart from working hard (which is the minimum requirement for a footballer IMO), I can’t see what he offers at the moment.  

I’m not having a go at him as person or character whatsoever. He has been an integral part of our success in recent years, but he’s just miles off it now. Last year his output wasn’t great but he was still winning us games with his goals: Palace away, Chelsea home and away, Wolves away, Spurs away, Southampton away, Leicester away and then the semi and final of the club World Cup. But now he’s just a liability and mane and Salah are just being doubled up on and Firmino’s not filling the void whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Elite said:

He's morphed into one of those football busker acts, great at keepy-uppy's and tricks but totally ineffective in a real game of football.

Brazilian Lee Trundle. 

That bit of skill for the Salah goal the other day annoyed me. It was a shit pass that got under Salah's feet, so he had to improvise a finish without a backlift.  

I can't believe Klopp wants to die on this hill. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4