You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

3 hours ago, magicrat said:

He woke the fuck up for a few weeks when Jota was showing him up. Seems to have resumed standby mode again .

Not just him though, Salah and Mane seem to running in fumes as well.  Massive tasering in the nuts required all round. 

Or alternatively, the midfield could give them the ball on a dangerous area just once for a change. 

We're creating absolutely fuck all.  Having all of the ball and constantly coming away with the other side having the better chances. 

57 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Or alternatively, the midfield could give them the ball on a dangerous area just once for a change. 

We're creating absolutely fuck all.  Having all of the ball and constantly coming away with the other side having the better chances. 

Comes back to Gomez and Virg being crocked imo. If we had Fab and Hendo in midfield it would improve things but nevertheless our forwards are a shadow of last season even with poorer service from midfield.  The whole team to some degree is compensating for our CBs being out.  

• Upvote 1

I don't even think the drop-off in midfield has been that big, the midfield was pedestrian as fuck last year as well. Could see in the first half against the mancs we were trying to go a little bit more direct with balls in behind them, but the quality of wasn't quite there.

The real problems are Mane looks like he's dropped a yard of pace, Salah's touch has deserted him and Bobby has taken over Wijnaldum's old invisible man tribute act, plus Jota is injured. Given Trent is playing like we've put the mascot on the pitch at the moment, we're always going to struggle.

Said it in the transfer window thread, but I think time's up for at least one possibly two of the front three this summer, presuming of course anyone is actually interested.

5 hours ago, magicrat said:

He woke the fuck up for a few weeks when Jota was showing him up. Seems to have resumed standby mode again .

Not just him though, Salah and Mane seem to running in fumes as well.  Massive tasering in the nuts required all round. 

I think it's simpler than that. I just think his best days are behind him. That's not to say he'll never play well again, it's just his best games will become fewer. For me he's never been the same player since he was injured in the weeks before Madrid. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

You can tell after two minutes what type of game Bobby is about to have. If the ball sticks and his first few passes come off then he's going to have a blinder. If it doesn't then he's going to be a waste of space for the next eighty-eight. 

As much as he's been brilliant for us, this has to be the last season that he's a regular. It's just not working. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

You can tell after two minutes what type of game Bobby is about to have. If the ball sticks and his first few passes come off then he's going to have a blinder. If it doesn't then he's going to be a waste of space for the next eighty-eight. 

As much as he's been brilliant for us, this has to be the last season that he's a regular. It's just not working. 

Yeah I feel the same way. When he gets off to a bad start he doesn't usually recover. And he started terribly last night.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Love the lad but he is poor more than good these days. Pretty soon this side is going to need a huge overhaul when you look at the ages of our players. Put sentimentality to bed we need to replace cogs in the side or just fade back into obscurity.

How the fuck Origi is still here I don't know.

Yeah out of the players who i'd be happy to replace, seeing Bobby go would just be really sad. He's been a brilliant player for us and is a really likeable fella with how happy he is.

• Upvote 1

Could see Halaand being Klopp’s new Lewandoski.

As instrumental as Bobby’s been in our system, if you had to replace one of the front 3 purely on merit based on performance level, he’s been way below Sadio or Mo for 2 seasons now. The others you’d only move on first because they currently have a higher resale value.

Given they’re all a similar age and them ageing sharply together is a problem we can all see coming, if we could recoup a decent chunk of the money towards the likes of a Halaand through it and he’d come here, this is probably the right summer to sell Bobby, sadly.

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Love the lad but he is poor more than good these days. Pretty soon this side is going to need a huge overhaul when you look at the ages of our players. Put sentimentality to bed we need to replace cogs in the side or just fade back into obscurity.

How the fuck Origi is still here I don't know.

No cunt is stupid enough to buy him mate.

7 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Could see Halaand being Klopp’s new Lewandoski.

As instrumental as Bobby’s been in our system, if you had to replace one of the front 3 purely on merit based on performance level, he’s been way below Sadio or Mo for 2 seasons now. The others you’d only move on first because they currently have a higher resale value.

Given they’re all a similar age and them ageing sharply together is a problem we can all see coming, if we could recoup a decent chunk of the money towards the likes of a Halaand through it and he’d come here, this is probably the right summer to sell Bobby, sadly.

In terms of performance, Firmino is the one you'd sell, but honestly a front line of Mané - Haaland - Salah is kind of weird. I can't see the team play being all that great. I mean, I'm sure they'd figure it out because they're all great players but they'd want to kill each other after one season.

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

In terms of performance, Firmino is the one you'd sell, but honestly a front line of Mané - Haaland - Salah is kind of weird. I can't see the team play being all that great. I mean, I'm sure they'd figure it out because they're all great players but they'd want to kill each other after one season.

Yeah, but in reality another - probably Mo - would then likely go the following summer. I just can’t see us letting two of these 3 strikers drift into their 30’s with us, personally. Not the way we fund the squad. I think the best bet is we’ll transition from what we have now to a new attacking style over a couple or 3 summers.

When teams sit deep, he is like an extra defender for their team. When a team comes out playing, he's like an extra attacker for us. He should only come on against defensive teams when we have a lead against them. Against attacking teams, he should be first on the team sheet.

He'll stay unless we have a shot at getting a striker from tier 1. No matter how shit he is currently and inconsistent he have been during his whole career here, he won't go anywhere. On his day he is brilliant, the other days close to not even being able to play for a lower tier premier league side.

His wages are probably extremely high and it will be hard to find a suitor him, same way as the clubs on that is Origis level probably can't afford him. 

I think we are stuck unless we can convince Dortmund for a player plus cash deal and that is not happening in a million years. We don't have a pot to piss in and our whealing and dealing is embarrasing.