You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

I must admit I go hot and cold with Bobby. Undoubtedly been a top class signing for us and been a key component of our success. But I have to say the barren runs he goes on in front of goal concern me. 17/18 where he notched 27 and often finished real poachers goals was obviously his zenith, 16 last season was ok but I really thought he would kick on. He only has 11 this year, admittedly they have been decisive goals in the main but I really wish he would focus more on getting a few for himself.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The guy just played a  whole season as our striker not scoring a goal at home. Its stewart downing stats, i know hes a thousand times the player downing even could dream of becoming, but that stat must crush any stats for any forward that has won their league starting most games.

His finishing and decision making in the final third is completely off, it's like he's overthinking everything and it's completely fucking up his calibration. That's why we need some competition up top, as it's as though he needs a some fear or a shock to get going. 

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Worth a try dropping him back into attacking mid with Minamino ahead of him? Just to see how it plays out.

I’d play Salah as a no 9 ahead of him or Minamino. Bobby didn’t have a great game, and if we’re honest he didn’t have a fantastic season last year either. I’d be tempted to mix it up a bit... just in case the trend holds. 

• 3 weeks later...

Beginning to get very worried about this lad. 

His form has really tailed off over the past 12 months. His finishing is absolutely wank. That chance at 1-0 should have been buried, that's a gilt edged opportunity that a number 9 for Liverpool should be finishing. Imagine Owen, Fowler or Torres in that situation - they wouldn't have even blinked. He got lucky in the Leeds game too when he absolutely fluffed that one-on-one near the end, but Rodrigo bailed him out a few minutes later. 

Bobby's been immense player for this club under Klopp, but this can't last too much longer. 

• Upvote 2

He is indeed a problem now. We don't even need him to score goals to be successful, we've seen that. His finishing being shite is somewhat acceptable because he's not a "pure 9".

Except now his touch is crap, he's passing it to the opposition nonstop and his movement is sluggish, so if he's struggling with those things consistently then there's no reason for him to be in the side. 

• Upvote 1

For a long time it was tolerable that he wasn't a goal threat because he was still generally a creative outlet and his touch was decent. His movement was also great.

For a long time now he's stopped offering those things too. He's been absolutely wank recently. I love bobby but he needs dropping. I'd rather we played Salah up top and Jota on the right.

I'm wondering if Bobby has been affected by this strange phenomenon that afflicts prominent Brazilian attacking players, where they appear to stagnate and decline once they hit the age of 28. They are still capable of doing the business but the consistency, or the drive, or even the fitness just wanes from this point. We've seen it with Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka. Even Neymar has shown signs that he isn't quite the player he was a couple of years ago. These players have been playing for a long time, travelling extensively with their clubs and Brazil all over the world, and regularly to and from South America, winning practically everything in sight. They are financially set for life too so the motivations that drove them in their teens and early 20s aren't there any more.

• Upvote 2

Don’t think he’s ever been the same player since Coutinho left. 

The slide started for from the Roma semi away as he looked exhausted and apart from a few weeks here and there, he’s never been as consistent, either creating or more importantly, scoring.

We’ve got away with it due to an absolutely incredible 2 years but he’s making life harder for us with either messing up simple goals or dropping deep and giving the ball away 5 yards into the opposition half and giving them a chance to come back at us. 

This is the position I hope we go big in next.

1 minute ago, Trumo said:

I'm wondering if Bobby has been affected by this strange phenomenon that afflicts prominent Brazilian attacking players, where they appear to stagnate and decline once they hit the age of 28. They are still capable of doing the business but the consistency, or the drive, or even the fitness just wanes from this point. We've seen it with Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka. Even Neymar has shown signs that he isn't quite the player he was a couple of years ago. These players have been playing for a long time, travelling extensively with their clubs and Brazil all over the world, and regularly to and from South America, winning practically everything in sight. They are financially set for life too so the motivations that drove them in their teens and early 20s aren't there any more.

I mentioned last night that I’d read this about the Brazilian players peaking early. Wish I’d have said what you’d said but id been heavily drinking.