You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from 2017/18 when he was scoring 1-in-2, he's generally always been a 1-in-3 goalscorer, more about selfless link-up play and workrate from the front combined with flashes of silky genius.

This season, while all these factors are still there, they've been somewhat muted. Only one goal at home all season tells a story, because he hasn't exactly been firing them in away from Anfield either. He's going through a blip it seems, and though it hasn't cost us in the league, the concern is that it becomes more than a blip.

Why am I bringing it up if it could be only a minor thing? Well, he's been here for 5 years now and while neither he nor his sgent have signified anything about potentially looking for a move, it could be something that he's considering. Also, there's that peculiar Brazilian thing where players who've done the business before they reach their supposed peak years tend to tail off during those peak years. We've seen it before with the likes of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka. Coutinho appears to be heading that way. Neymar and Bobby haven't suffered quite the same downturn but it's noticeable with both that the level is a bit below what we've seen from them before.

His is a position where we could really do with a viable and effective alternative.

Love Bobby , and even voted him as our most important forward in that poll earlier this season , but he has been pretty ordinary by his standards this season. I dont think next season will be a stroll like this one , so he needs to go back to being our brilliant focal point.

25 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Love Bobby , and even voted him as our most important forward in that poll earlier this season , but he has been pretty ordinary by his standards this season. I dont think next season will be a stroll like this one , so he needs to go back to being our brilliant focal point.

Imagine what we could do if he turned up a few times or had genuine competition? Klopp doesn't really fancy Origi to replace him but we could do with an option to give him competition or somebody to rotate him with. But I can't see much money being spent by our owners and I'd be surprised if its in this area.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Imagine what we could do if he turned up a few times or had genuine competition? Klopp doesn't really fancy Origi to replace him but we could do with an option to give him competition or somebody to rotate him with. But I can't see much money being spent by our owners and I'd be surprised if its in this area.

I'm guessing/hoping Minamino is the competition. I know he looks slight at the moment but give him time to build up (Bobby did this after coming to Liverpool too) and get used to the system, maybe we'll have a player on our hands.  

If money is to be spent it must be on a left back first and foremost then competition for Mane and Salah.

Alas we'll spend nothing again this summer.

6 hours ago, Moo said:

I'm guessing/hoping Minamino is the competition. I know he looks slight at the moment but give him time to build up (Bobby did this after coming to Liverpool too) and get used to the system, maybe we'll have a player on our hands.  

If money is to be spent it must be on a left back first and foremost then competition for Mane and Salah.

Alas we'll spend nothing again this summer.

I forgot about Minamino but he does look a decent player,technically at least. Doesn't look like a Firmino clone at present but time could change that. You are spot on about left back cover but I'd add a back up goalkeeper and another centre half to that list. I know its a bit harsh on Gomez based on last night but I think Matip is a better partner(when ocassionally fit!) at the moment and I'd hate to waste Fabinho there if we have an injury crisis. Hoever looks a player at the moment as does young Neco but not strengthening from a position of strength is a rookie mistake. It has cost many teams over the years including mega rich United and City.

9 hours ago, Trumo said:

Apart from 2017/18 when he was scoring 1-in-2, he's generally always been a 1-in-3 goalscorer, more about selfless link-up play and workrate from the front combined with flashes of silky genius.

Wasn’t that the last season he had with those rising goal bonuses in his contract that were made public at the time? Where he was incentivised to score because he was getting £58k per goal for every one above 15 he banged in.

I think he was rewarded with better basic pay when he signed a new deal shortly afterwards. 

16 hours ago, stringvest said:

the 50 touches were he seemed to be playing with toblerone boots on, combined with what can only be described as a criminal barnet, were tragical.

Sadly I have to agree about his touch recently. Bobby's had a few chances in front of goal where especially 2 seasons ago, they'd be in the back of the net. But recently and even before the break, he's hit them with all the power of a powder puff.

Really not sure what's going on, Id have thought the long break would have benefited him. Jurgen might have to start showing his ruthless side if there's insufficient improvement because it looks like the next season will start almost as soon as this one ends. Bobby's been called the glue in our team. But even glue goes off and stops working.

I just want our good, old Bobby back.

I think he’s found it difficult this season for whatever reason but so have the whole team.  We’ve had to graft for the vast majority of results and haven’t looked as slick as in previous years.  I honestly feel like they will play with less pressure next season because the first title is out of the way.