You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Klopp turned Lewandowski into a new type of striker and goal machine and has revolutionised the role once again with Firmino.

I think this is even more pronounced.

Firmino is/was battling for the role of Brazil's #9. Even if Neymar is the man, that's still an incredibly prestigious role that he must have dreamed about for decades, but he's decided that's not as important as Liverpool winning.

If he's got a 98% chance of scoring, he'll pass it to someone with a 99% chance, because he's is all in with Klopp.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I really have to take my hat off to the pissed up cunt; he's been red hot over the last 6 weeks.

The understanding the 3 forwards have formed that 1 will carry the can, when the other 2 are not quite at their best is remarkable; not only in the sense that it massively goes against 100+ years of being a striker, but their commitment to each other.

And for Bobby to time his run into form for the period where we've traditionally slumped is just perfect - he's wrapped up the world club up and the title. As amazing as he's been, he's never been as good as this, and for a number 9 to get 3 assists... The man has utterly revolutionised the position.

We have loads of players we could consider irreplaceable right now because of their quality. Notably Salah, Mane, van Dijk and Alisson, but Firmino is above even those players as there just isn't another player like him in world football. He is literally irreplaceable. 

The only other player who has played the position like him is Benzema, who served as a brilliant and unselfish foil for Ronaldo and Bale, but Benzema is a bit more of a traditional #9 and Firmino has the added element of being the best defender from the front in the world. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We have loads of players we could consider irreplaceable right now because of their quality. Notably Salah, Mane, van Dijk and Alisson, but Firmino is above even those players as there just isn't another player like him in world football. He is literally irreplaceable. 

The only other player who has played the position like him is Benzema, who served as a brilliant and unselfish foil for Ronaldo and Bale, but Benzema is a bit more of a traditional #9 and Firmino has the added element of being the best defender from the front in the world. 

He's a very good & selfless player but come on, he's not above Salah, Van Dijk or Mane. He is a very strong component in the team who's been at the club for 5 seasons: those players are up there with legitimate greatest-of-all-time in their positions and elevated the side to greatest-ever-potential - Van Dijk within mere weeks of his arrival.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

He's a very good & selfless player but come on, he's not above Salah, Van Dijk or Mane. He is a very strong component in the team who's been at the club for 5 seasons: those players are up there with legitimate greatest-of-all-time in their positions and elevated the side to greatest-ever-potential - Van Dijk within mere weeks of his arrival.

I didn't say he was better than van Dijk or Mane or Salah, I said there is no one in the world that does what he does and that would make him impossible to replace. Our style of play, the setup of the team would immediately change,

We could sell van Dijk tomorrow and buy Varane, sell Salah and buy Mbappe and they'd fulfill the same role, do the same stuff, maybe at 90% capacity of van Dijk and Salah, but they'd do the same stuff. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I didn't say he was better than van Dijk or Mane or Salah, I said there is no one in the world that does what he does and that would make him impossible to replace. Our style of play, the setup of the team would immediately change,

We could sell van Dijk tomorrow and buy Varane, sell Salah and buy Mbappe and they'd fulfill the same role, do the same stuff, maybe at 90% capacity of van Dijk and Salah, but they'd do the same stuff. 

Benzema would make a better replacement for Bobby than Varane would Van Dijk.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Robertson, TAA, Henderson are also unique and irreplaceable. 

1 hour ago, WhiskeyJar said:

Robertson, TAA, Henderson are also unique and irreplaceable. 

I’d say Trent is unique, the other two are really good players but you could get others to do their role.

Wijnaldum could swap in with Hendo in the 6 or 8 position too, as an easy example.

Anyway, Klopp bases how we play on the players he had rather than finding players for a system so this exercise is maybe a bit silly.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Right - but the concept that Firmino is the only striker in the world who puts a shift in up front is a bit over-played. To be honest when City are at peak and defend from the front (and they did only concede 1 more goal than us last season .. and 11 goals less than us the season before .. in which both seasons Kompany only appeared in less than half the games) Aguero plays a not dissimilar role. Tevez wasn't too dissimilar. Rooney, even, for a time was a similar player.

My point is that Firmino was here for 5 years, playing at a good level with lots of good players around him .. but the team was not near the majesty its at now. So if we want to talk about who truly is the most irreplaceable then it surely is Van Dijk. No Van Dijk, no Kiev. No Van Dijk, no Madrid. No Van Dijk, no league title. I think the facts bear that out pretty well - the before-and-after picture is quite outrageous. But its a fun debate to be able to have.

4 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Right - but the concept that Firmino is the only striker in the world who puts a shift in up front is a bit over-played. To be honest when City are at peak and defend from the front (and they did only concede 1 more goal than us last season .. and 11 goals less than us the season before .. in which both seasons Kompany only appeared in less than half the games) Aguero plays a not dissimilar role. Tevez wasn't too dissimilar. Rooney, even, for a time was a similar player.

My point is that Firmino was here for 5 years, playing at a good level with lots of good players around him .. but the team was not near the majesty its at now. So if we want to talk about who truly is the most irreplaceable then it surely is Van Dijk. No Van Dijk, no Kiev. No Van Dijk, no Madrid. No Van Dijk, no league title. I think the facts bear that out pretty well - the before-and-after picture is quite outrageous. But its a fun debate to be able to have.

Yes, I would say if there was another player I would deem irreplaceable, it would be Virgil because our defensive improvement is linked to him, in addition to his importance on set-pieces, both offensive and defensive. Our defense is built around him. It's Virgil, then everyone else slots around him.

But it's similar with Firmino. Our attack has been built around him. Klopp came in, surely knew his qualities from his time at Hoffenheim, made him our #9 and subsequently bought goal scoring wide forwards like Salah and Mané to play alongside him. He was the foundation to that tactic.

If we had a 25 goal striker when Klopp came in, do we buy Salah and Mané? I don't think so. The fit between two goal scoring wide forwards and a true #9 who also wants to score goals is not evident. There would be sacrifices to make and you would dull all those players' abilities. The balance would be tough to figure out. Maybe we would have looked at more conventional wingers, more creative #10's to supplement this fictitious striker instead.

Point is, Firmino is the foundation to the attack and there is no other player like him. I think that makes him basically impossible to replace.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Pidge said:

I look forward to us playing football again then we won't have so many stories about our players leaving for big money and instead get to read more stories about how all our players are actually overrated and shite/cheats.

Too right.  I am sick to the back teeth of fucking transfer rumours from hacks without anything better to do in the break. Firmino leaving has especially riled me. It would be a major blow if there is a grain of truth in it and there is no easy fix to replace him . The guy makes our attack tick. 

Anyway just waiting for the Coronavirus stories that all public gatherings to be banned and how we won't be crowned champions. Fucking cunt journo's