You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

Yeah not sure

I know people thinkn Origi is shite but he does offer the pace that no otther option does and has proven to be a goal getter before his injury a few years back. He still causes issues in most games he gets time on the field, but he isn't the long term answer. Once Bobby is back i do wonder if its time to let them off the leash a bit and just go back to the full on press off the past couple of years and get them flying again

For this i'd be tempted to go either Origi straight up for Bobby or go with Shaqiri behind a front 2 of Mane and Salah and Keita in the midfield three with Gini and Fabinho. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

This is a real test of Klopp tactically now.

If he just sticks Origi or Sturridge or even fucking Lallana in and ask the front 3 to play as 'usual' then we are likely in trouble.

For me it needs a formation tweak to manage without Firmino.

I’d just tell them to play like we did against PSG at home.

• Upvote 1

You'd think Mo Salah and Sadio Mane would be a pretty good and quick forward line. We don't always have to play three up front. We've plenty of midfielders - now is the time to give them a game.

Fab

Keita

Henderson

Shaqiri

I'd give Gini a rest TBH, he's been sick AND injured. Get him back on Sunday at the Theatre of Comedy. 

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

You'd think Mo Salah and Sadio Mane would be a pretty good and quick forward line. We don't always have to play three up front. We've plenty of midfielders - now is the time to give them a game.

Fab

Keita

Henderson

Shaqiri

I'd give Gini a rest TBH, he's been sick AND injured. Get him back on Sunday at the Theatre of Comedy. 

For my money using Salah and Mane as a two has to be much better than trying to shoehorn Origi, Sturridge or fucking Lallana into a 3.

Play an extra midfielder behind them.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see him back amongst the goals   going to need a big few months from the front three if we're not going to end up empty handed again. 

Hopefully Klopp gets it right this summer and we're not completely reliant on those three again for goals and creativity. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Just wondering if played in a different system with a different role  could he be as prolific as Robbie ? 

No,is my view. We play in a way in which goals are shared around by whoever exploits the space others have created. We now have many more options and aren't as one dimensional as we were back then.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No,is my view. We play in a way in which goals are shared around by whoever exploits the space others have created. We now have many more options and aren't as one dimensional as we were back then.

Get that analysis. I suppose what I am mulling over is I don't see what klopp's plan b is when one/all of front three are struggling to break a team down. It seems to be a random choice of throw origi/sturridge on. Personally I feel firminio cannot be sacrificed even if he is the one struggling as he has the vision and talent to make something happen. What I don't see is him ghosting/running into box a la Fowler. Anyway maybe mute point as we don't have players to change system to allow him to play like that. Have a nagging feeling we are probably making the most use of certain attributes and abilities he has but not the most use of his talent.