You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

Yea, cos he's exactly like our front 3. Not even a good plan B cos Klopp will never play that way. Hate to say it, but an Ings type player is what we will get as a backup striker. May even be him. I can see us getting another pacey winger type. We've seen how effective we are with that approach.

Wow. Some people take posts very literally.

I would take Dzeko in a heartbeat myself as he's far better than simply a 'long ball merchant' but it's never going to happen and a player like him would probably not sit on our bench. Its also important to remember that we are third in the league and have dropped points against teams like West Brom(twice) so its pretty obvious the squad needs strengthening. My biggest fear is that getting a decent back up forward who plays in the same style as our current front three would cost a fortune and force Jurgen to sell to offset it. But we will see.

I really don’t think the sitting on the bench part of an argument works if we are able to peruse a top quality attacker that fits our current system.

I don’t watch enough football to know who that player could be, but the only way we have someone sitting on the bench is if they are a benteke style player who wouldn’t work in our system but offers a different approach.

They don’t have to be Mo or Bobby reincarnated, just be able to fit in the system and play to a high enough level that there isn’t the same drop off that we currently have down to Ings.

If that player is signed, there’s more than enough opportunity through the year, through number of games, rotation, injury and suspension to share the loads.

I trust Klopp to target two or three that would achieve this and I trust us to get one of them at least.

I really don’t think the sitting on the bench part of an argument works if we are able to peruse a top quality attacker that fits our current system.

I don’t watch enough football to know who that player could be, but the only way we have someone sitting on the bench is if they are a benteke style player who wouldn’t work in our system but offers a different approach.

They don’t have to be Mo or Bobby reincarnated, just be able to fit in the system and play to a high enough level that there isn’t the same drop off that we currently have down to Ings.

If that player is signed, there’s more than enough opportunity through the year, through number of games, rotation, injury and suspension to share the loads.

I trust Klopp to target two or three that would achieve this and I trust us to get one of them at least.

The style/quality of player who was closer to our current front three than Ings and Solanke may cost a fair bit though as clubs will know we are looking for that type of player.

Having watched a bit of the u18 and u23s over the last few years I can see Harry Wilson being back up to Mo and Sadio next year. Doing well at Hull and, whilst it is a big jump, he has always struck me as someone who could make it.

Surprised he hasnt had a chance in our first team yet which raises a question mark but, I imagine, he would be delighted to get a few starts and come on as sub to give at least 2 of the front 3 a rest.

If we don’t move away from that in a year where we’ve made a huge profit in the transfer windows, and either won the European cup, or not because we ran out of bodies, then it’ll be time to truly despair.

We need relatively few first team level players bringing in, with one already secured in Keita, so a starting calibre centre half, centre mid and attacker shouldn’t be beyond expectations, with squad fillers replacing but hopefully upgrading on outgoing squad fillers.

Liverpool are reportedly set to open talks over a new deal for Roberto Firmino this summer amid claims his current buy-out clause makes his vulnerable to a number of European predators.

The Brazilian is enjoying his best season yet at Anfield, where he has thrived alongside Sadio Mane and especially Mohamed Salah in the Reds attack.

It was Brendan Rodgers who brought Firmino to Liverpool in the summer of 2015 in a £29million swoop from Hoffenheim. Though his five-year deal still has just over two years left to run, Liverpool are looking to reward the 26-year-old with improved terms as a reward for his fantastic form this season.

His form this season has led to suggestions that Bayern Munich could look to sign the forward, while Real Madrid have also been touted as potential suitors.

The ex-Hoffenheim man has 26 goals and 13 assists to his name for Jurgen Klopp’s charges term.

And the need to tie Firmino down to a new deal has been exasperated by claims in the Belgian media which claims the Reds are vulnerable to an approach thanks to the exit clause inserted in his contract when he first arrived at Anfield.

According to Le Soir, the buy-out clause in Firmino’s deal is set at just €98m, which equates to £83million – hardly enough to put Europe’s big boys off a potential swoop in the current transfer market.

According to reports, Liverpool are confident of tying Firmino down to a newly-improved deal which will see elevated alongside Virgil van Dijk as the club’s top earner on £150,000 a week.And

The Reds are also in talks with his fellow forward Salah over an extended deal.

And Firmino clearly has a huge fan in his manager Klopp, who is keen to tie the player down to a new deal.

Speaking in December 2016, Klopp said of the forward: “When I knew I was coming here I knew I had a good player – I was looking forward to working with him very much.

“He is happy… so he doesn’t care about getting more credit or recognition. Of course he is very important because he can play these positions all three positions in our system, and in our system I’m sure he could play the eight too.

“He is different, but he can play there. He is a very important player, a connecting player, a finisher, a fighter, a defender, the first defender – that is important. A lot of things he is good at are very important for us.

“He’s still a good listener, and a good trainer. He likes to train he likes to learn, so that is excellent, a nice package.”

News of Firmino’s exit clause was first revealed in December 2016 – with an unusual stipulation preventing one Premier League side from activating it.

Thought the only clause about selling in Bobbys contract was that the club would not sell him to Arsenal. In other words there is no release clause amount in his contract. Think it is shocking Bobby is almost down to his last 2 years though. Sort it out you blurts and give him a new 5 year one.

Thought the only clause about selling in Bobbys contract was that the club would not sell him to Arsenal. In other words there is no release clause amount in his contract. Think it is shocking Bobby is almost down to his last 2 years though. Sort it out you blurts and give him a new 5 year one.

Sure I read it was the mancs.

Either way he deserves a massive pay rise and a new long term contract.

Getting his signature on a long term contract is vital.

Do we need a «proper no 9» instead, or as a plan B? No, imo.

Do we need to strengthen our squad with another attacking player of the highest level? Absolutely.

We should sign a player called Firminho and all the commentators will find it easier to pronounce his name.