You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

Had an article emailed to me trying to get me to sign up for 442 magazine which basically said that Bobby is not particularly well-liked in Brazil and even some of their top pundits are suggesting Tite should take Jo ( !!! ) to the WC rather than Bobby, as back up to Jesus.

Had an article emailed to me trying to get me to sign up for 442 magazine which basically said that Bobby is not particularly well-liked in Brazil and even some of their top pundits are suggesting Tite should take Jo ( !!! ) to the WC rather than Bobby, as back up to Jesus.

Hope so, I hope everyone in Brazil, Spain and England all think he’s shit. I hope that we’re the only ones who can see how good he really is and in turn he loves us more for backing him and he never wants to leave! As soon as he’s at Madrid or Barca I guarantee people start giving it the big one about ‘he’s one of the best in the world’ and ‘he’s gone up another level at Barca’. Hopefully the English media and fans don’t quite click on to how special he can be at times and only when he’s retired do they think actually he was fucking ace.

• Upvote 2

No they aren't.

Even though Jo, and the more likely Luan, have both been playing in Brazil - there is no one who has suggested that seriously.

The last bit I read from Tite is that he may play both of them in front of Coutinho and Neymar

Divided opinions

Jo is a better footballer than Firmino, he can offer more to the team than Firmino does

- Walter Casagrande

One of Brazil’s most influential football commentators, Walter Casagrande – a former Torino, Ascoli and Porto striker – admitted that Firmino’s lack of connection with fans is an issue. “Our kids shouldn't leave the country too early, otherwise they'll face the same stuff Firmino has to cope with when he comes to the national team,” he said. “He’s doing very well for Liverpool, but he doesn’t have a local background; someone to root for him.”

Casagrande is among those who would rather have Jo, top goalscorer of the last Brazilian championship with Corinthians, as the Jesus back-up.

“Jo is a better footballer than Firmino; he can offer more to the team than Firmino does,” he claimed.

A more moderate voice comes from Tostao, the most respected football columnist in the country and a 1970 World Cup winner.

"If Coutinho is over-complimented, Firmino gets less than he deserves in Brazil," the 71-year-old wrote. "The boastful people and those who only watch highlight videos of the Premier League ask for Jo and Diego Souza’s call-up. Besides being a great finisher, Firmino makes everything easier for his colleagues because he’s constantly moving around. He’s one of those strikers who don't limit themselves to being a goalscorer."

image: https://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/sites/fourfourtwo.com/files/styles/inline-image/public/roberto_firmino_brazil.jpg?itok=twl3-yJO

roberto_firmino_brazil.jpg?itok=twl3-yJO

Firmino has five goals for Brazil but is yet to show his best form

Tostao thinks he can even lead the line at the World Cup: “If Firmino continues to do so well and Gabriel Jesus doesn't get more playing time to shine, he may lose his starting berth.”

As the trip to Moscow approaches, the Seleção's No.9 shirt has become the subject of growing debate in Brazil – not least after Tite suggested in an interview with newspaper O Globo that a tactical set-up including both forwards hasn't been ruled out. The upcoming friendlies against Russia and Germany in March will show if he’s serious about it.

It doesn't seem likely that Tite will replace Jesus for Firmino as his main striker, however. He’s always been loyal to his players and almost definitely won't drop one of his most decisive men within two games of the World Cup.

Tite took a gamble on Jesus to solve a long-running problem at centre-forward, and it paid off as the teenager scored seven goals and paired beautifully with Neymar in qualification. Firmino, on the other hand, put in some performances that didn’t help his cause and which led Tite to look for new options – including giving Diego Souza a try.

Being shy in front of the cameras doesn’t make Firmino’s struggle to gain his compatriots’ love any easier either. Despite that dazzling smile, he lacks charisma and dislikes interviews. He was once asked how he saw Brazilian football at the moment and replied that he had a TV at home. Everybody in the conference room laughed.

Soon, though, he may be the one to smile when he fulfils his dream of going to a World Cup. Right now it doesn’t matter if it's as a starter or not, but scrutinising eyes will be on him back home if and when he steps onto the pitch for Brazil this summer.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-brazilians-just-dont-rate-liverpools-roberto-firmino#pSqxeGSzS5YzPpzu.99

No they aren't.

Even though Jo, and the more likely Luan, have both been playing in Brazil - there is no one who has suggested that seriously.

The last bit I read from Tite is that he may play both of them in front of Coutinho and Neymar

Struggling to link the whole article , but it quotes Walter Casagrande ( vaguely remember him playing in Italy ) as an influential sports commentator in Brazil who suggests Jo as the better option & says that Bobby has little love afforded because he only played at home for a year & even then in the 2nd tier. 

Tostao ( And I certainly remember that guy ) however is firmly in ' Team Bobby '.

If anybody can link the article it is quite interesting.

It is one fella - getting his otherwise meaningless name in worldwide print.

No one is agreeing with him in this article - or anywhere else.

Tostao thinks he can even lead the line at the World Cup: “If Firmino continues to do so well and Gabriel Jesus doesn't get more playing time to shine, he may lose his starting berth.”

Not sure why you appear to be getting vexed at the article , Howie , I have no knowledge of the relative influence of Brazilian reporters & I obviously agree that anybody who favours Jo is criminally insane , but I assume 442 research their articles pretty thoroughly & I thought it was interesting.

• Upvote 1

The equivalent of back page and click bait is what it is. 

Now - I am not saying I blame you personally for the article itself - though I have my doubts - but certainly you have to be on the take from 442 to bring this onto a respected football forum and put forth a such tripe. The fact that it has a shiny cover and is properly bound does not excuse this periodical from intense scrutiny.

That combined with the fact that I personally reside in the heart of Brazilian footy - the Gulf Coast - makes it even more unbearable.

If I was a gold member I would neg you on this - unacceptable at any and every level.

In the words of shiny Bob -- "Ta Loco???!!!"

I'm working in Brazil currently and can confirm he's not rated highly by a lot of people here. I have made it my mission to spread the Gospel according to St Bobby at every possible opportunity.

I think it's a combination of only spending one season in Brazil at an unfashionable club (Figueirense), before moving to Hoffenheim - hardly well known when the kids here are only interested in the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern or PSG. He's not seen as a skillful player like Neymar or Coutinho, or a goalscorer like Jesus.

Jo, on the other hand, experienced a bit of a renaissance last season, scoring in the big games that took Corinthians to the title. Whether it's coincidence or not, I've found it's the Corinthian fans that have been the most sceptical about Firmino.

• Upvote 2

Brazil have their own version of little Englanders. As if playing in that shit league deserves comparisons to Neymar, Coutinho and Firmino.

I don't think you can call Brazil 'a shit league' considering the quality of players it has produced over the years,but it isn't as well structured or financed as the big European leagues of course.

• Upvote 1