You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

Your idea on great forwards is seriously different to most ill give you that

One player thats got into double figures on the league once in 6 years amd will be 29 in September and another with 29 league goals in nearly 150 games and is nearly 29.

I wouldn't touch either with a barge pole. No better than Ings either of them

If Firmino is to continue to be our starting no 9, then it’d be difficult to attract the likes of Aubameyang to sit on the bench for the big games.

Well Chelsea have Giroud as cover, City have Jesus, Tottenham have Lorrente, so - that would be the standard we would be looking at. 

What about Gameiro? He isn't getting any game time at Madrid, would seem a good experienced bridge until we can see if Brewster comes through as hoped. 

That's speculation until they have been on the pitch with them. Spurs got a creditable draw against one of the best teams in Europe after going 2-0 down with Son, Dele Ali and Eriksen on the pitch. Would Willian have definitely been up to that task? The answer would be speculation.

Yeah, I’m happy to continue speculating.

Well Chelsea have Giroud as cover, City have Jesus, Tottenham have Lorrente, so - that would be the standard we would be looking at.

What about Gameiro? He isn't getting any game time at Madrid, would seem a good experienced bridge until we can see if Brewster comes through as hoped.

I doubt Gameiro is any better than Arnautovic.

If Firmino is to continue to be our starting no 9, then it’d be difficult to attract the likes of Aubameyang to sit on the bench for the big games.

Yeah and if we find a player who is a better out and out winger than Salah Mo can sit on the bench until he improves his wing play. Honestly what a load of pap.

Yeah and if we find a player who is a better out and out winger than Salah Mo can sit on the bench until he improves his wing play. Honestly what a load of pap.

What? I was just talking about more realistic targets. Feel free to propose Lewandowski instead.

Yeah, I’m happy to continue speculating.

I will be paying close to attention to the result against Barcelona in the return leg and I speculate that Chelsea will unfortunately lose.

I wasn’t the one who brought up his position into the latest discussion. Jose Jones did. I came in to this discussion to correct TheHowieLama’s claim that he hasn’t improved this year and he’s always been this good. I gave him an example of the Europa final, where he was one of the worst players on the pitch. I agree that he’s been very good this season.

I think both you and Howie are right when he has played through the middle, when the team around him are firing on all cylinders he is and has been brilliant and more consistant. When the team struggles he doesn't raise himself above it all. And also he was cheap when played out on the wing.

Better than Messi, Iniesta and Hazard, but not so much better than Pedro that he usually starts over him. Hmmm. 

I don't think he said he was 'better' just that he outplayed them all last week. I have my reservations about him because of what you said - so much, I don't want us anywhere near him, but aRdja didn't say that. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think he said he was 'better' just that he outplayed them all last week. I have my reservations about him because of what you said - so much, I don't want us anywhere near him, but aRdja didn't say that. 

aRdja judges players based on single games all the time, so I've gone ahead and deduced he thinks Willian is better than those players. Wouldn't have thought that from anyone else, but he's special like that. 

Fuck him!

He had his chance and took the piss. Better players than him out there - much better, and at 29 much better players with potential.

Salah went to chelsea over us too.

Willian is in superb form and has been chelseas best player for the last month by a mile. Id love him here. If they miss out on the champions league then they will get picked to bits. Willian, Hazard, Alonso, Azpilicueta, Kante and Cortuois will all be targets for others. Id take all 6

• Upvote 1

Salah went to chelsea over us too.

Willian is in superb form and has been chelseas best player for the last month by a mile. Id love him here. If they miss out on the champions league then they will get picked to bits. Willian, Hazard, Alonso, Azpilicueta, Kante and Cortuois will all be targets for others. Id take all 6

Salah never took the piss!

He agreed to sign, then it was Tottenham and then he moved to Chelsea. Fuck him. 

Brave.

FWIW, I agree. Let's not pretend Firmino has played anywhere near this level for us before, and in his early days his lack of goals was a problem for us quite simply because Salah wasn't here to take on that burden.

I daresay it still will be an issue in some games. For all his goals, they're not usually terrific individual goals, more that he's on the end of something. There are times when we need individual brilliance to score a goal, and I can't recall him scoring a goal like that for us.

But he's been sensational in his build-up play this season. He seems to me to be an old throwback striker to when there were 2 up front, and one was a poacher and the other was a bit of a maverick who could do a bit of everything. Sheringham to Van Nistelrooy, Yorke to Cole, Bebeto to Romario, Gullit to Van Basten, Dalglish to Rush, Beardsley to Aldridge, Bergkamp to Wright.

A joy to watch, though I'll qualify that by saying it's brilliant to watch while Salah continues to score individual worldies to bring the bread home.

https://youtu.be/HnsEC8CIvDk

Just saw this. Some very good and great partnerships above but you started with Sheringham to Van Nistelrooy. They literally never played together.

• Upvote 2

aRdja judges players based on single games all the time, so I've gone ahead and deduced he thinks Willian is better than those players. Wouldn't have thought that from anyone else, but he's special like that.

What are you on about? My post was quite clear I would’ve thought.

I think both you and Howie are right when he has played through the middle, when the team around him are firing on all cylinders he is and has been brilliant and more consistant. When the team struggles he doesn't raise himself above it all. And also he was cheap when played out on the wing.

He’s been very good this season Firmino, and I’m happy for him to lead the line for us. I just think there are occasions when we need a proper striker, and our options at the moment are Solanke and Ings. Say we sell Ings this summer, loan Solanke out to a promoted team, and replace them with Arnautovic as a ‘like for like’ option for Firmino, and Rondon as a ‘plan b’ against teams parking the bus, we’d be much stronger for it.

He’s been very good this season Firmino, and I’m happy for him to lead the line for us. I just think there are occasions when we need a proper striker, and our options at the moment are Solanke and Ings. Say we sell Ings this summer, loan Solanke out to a promoted team, and replace them with Arnautovic as a ‘like for like’ option for Firmino, and Rondon as a ‘plan b’ against teams parking the bus, we’d be much stronger for it.

I am sorry to tell you but you are crazy if you think Arnautovic or any other striker of the class you and a few others want will sit on the bench for the occasions when or if Bobby is not doing it for the team.