You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roberto Firmino

WhiskeyJar

Top teams constantly add class to the squad even if they are winning titles and trophies.  How can we possibly say it is okay not to add players when we are not winning trophies and scrapping for 4th.

If Salah and Firmino get injured next year, we are completely fucked.

I would like to continue to add top quality players and have lots of options. 

Hold your horses, nobody is arguing against signing good players. More arguing whether a top striker would come here to sit on the bench in all the important games or be happy acting as cover for injuries? We’ve got a front three that is as good as anyone in the world, and a settled formation that is producing scintillating performances on a regular basis. If we were accommodating *insert top striker*, would that upset the balance?

I don’t think anybody would argue against the need for another top, versatile forward player - but I don’t think we need an out and out striker to cover Bobby. I’d rather go for a shit hot prospect or try and develop Ings/Solanke.

If Klopp is of a different opinion and he does see the need for top class cover then I’m not going to be complaining. I’m happy either way.

It doesn’t need to be a traditional 9 though does it. As you said yourself a top forward player who is versatile offers us options.

There’s no reason why Bobby couldn’t play as a 10 some games or we could even play two up front with Salah and Mane wide.

Options are good. At the moment the front 3 are going to be starting every single game and the drop off in quality to what we could replace any of them with is huge!

I'd like to see us go for Son in the summer. He's the closest player to Bobby in my opinion. Mertens would be an excellent signing as well because he can cover for any of our front three and he's highly intelligent in his play. Doubt either would come though. 

I liked the idea of having Rondon as a backup when things aren’t working with Bobby, someone who’s moving to a bigger club so supposedly wouldn’t mind being a backup and is so physically imposing. Our Bobby drifting in and around someone like that with Salah and Mane either side getting the loose balls and knockdowns would be a brilliant alternative.

Bobby has been unbelievable since Coutinho left, I was in the skeptical camp thinking that he’d maybe drop a level when his mate left but he’s gone up a few. He’s the best “striker” in the league at the moment and that includes Kane, id say Kane wins Tottenham more points on his own like the Palace game, however Firmino helps the team as a collective more than any player in the league, he’s the glue that binds our press together and our press is basically our creativity. I love his childlike enthusiasm.

• Upvote 2

I liked the idea of having Rondon as a backup when things aren’t working with Bobby, someone who’s moving to a bigger club so supposedly wouldn’t mind being a backup and is so physically imposing. Our Bobby drifting in and around someone like that with Salah and Mane either side getting the loose balls and knockdowns would be a brilliant alternative.

Bobby has been unbelievable since Coutinho left, I was in the skeptical camp thinking that he’d maybe drop a level when his mate left but he’s gone up a few. He’s the best “striker” in the league at the moment and that includes Kane, id say Kane wins Tottenham more points on his own like the Palace game, however Firmino helps the team as a collective more than any player in the league, he’s the glue that binds our press together and our press is basically our creativity. I love his childlike enthusiasm.

I can’t help smiling when he smiles! Mo’s

the same

The smart signing would be someone who can play wide and central. We obviously need better than Ings and Solanke. That said, there isn't a striker we're capable of signing whose better than Firmino.

If the rumours that Willian is off this summer are true we should be all over that!

• Upvote 1

I love Willian. A superb footballer. Not many better AMs in the PL.

Before we proceed are you sticking to the literal definition of an AM? 

Because i'd have Salah, Mane, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Eriksen, Son, Ali, Hazzard, Mata, Sanchez ahead of him. 

I don't think he is first choice for Chelsea, which suggests he has games were he isn't doing shit. 

Why should Klopp move Bobby to a number 10 when he is quite happy where he is his performances and goal return. Klopp is not going to move him for another player unless it is someone world class and fits his style.

So what is the answer when he is injured or rested? Surely not Ings or Solanke? They are several classes below all of our front three. We underestimate the game intelligence of Firmino,Salah and Mane and their particular movement in relation to each other but the big problem is that their replacements are a big step down and we really need somebody who is much closer to their level as a back up than what we have now.

The smart signing would be someone who can play wide and central. We obviously need better than Ings and Solanke. That said, there isn't a striker we're capable of signing whose better than Firmino.

If we had to sign another ‘false 9’ then Arnautovic would be top of my list. Great footballer and strong as an ox. If we let go of Ings, then I too would like to see Rondon brought in. Powerful, strong, holds the ball up brilliantly, and a good footballer too.

Before we proceed are you sticking to the literal definition of an AM?

Because i'd have Salah, Mane, Silva, Sterling, Sane, Eriksen, Son, Ali, Hazzard, Mata, Sanchez ahead of him.

I don't think he is first choice for Chelsea, which suggests he has games were he isn't doing shit.

Out of the above, only Salah, Silva, Hazard, and Sanchez are clearly ahead of him.

Why should Klopp move Bobby to a number 10 when he is quite happy where he is his performances and goal return. Klopp is not going to move him for another player unless it is someone world class and fits his style.

It’s his natural position. Against deep lying defences where we tend to struggle e.g., Swansea, West Brom, Everton.. I’d play all of our three forwards with another striker.

Out of the above, only Salah, Silva, Hazard, and Sanchez are clearly ahead of him.

If you take out the word clearly, all those players listed are ahead of him. Some clearly, some not but all players in the list are better to some degree.

If you take out the word clearly, all those players listed are ahead of him. Some clearly, some not but all players in the list are better to some degree.

Nah I don’t see any of them outshining Messi, Iniesta, Hazard the way Willian did last week against Barcelona for example.

If we had to sign another ‘false 9’ then Arnautovic would be top of my list. Great footballer and strong as an ox. If we let go of Ings, then I too would like to see Rondon brought in. Powerful, strong, holds the ball up brilliantly, and a good footballer too.

Your idea on great forwards is seriously different to most ill give you that

One player thats got into double figures on the league once in 6 years amd will be 29 in September and another with 29 league goals in nearly 150 games and is nearly 29.

I wouldn't touch either with a barge pole. No better than Ings either of them

• Upvote 1

Nah I don’t see any of them outshining Messi, Iniesta, Hazard the way Willian did last week against Barcelona for example.

That's speculation until they have been on the pitch with them. Spurs got a creditable draw against one of the best teams in Europe after going 2-0 down with Son, Dele Ali and Eriksen on the pitch. Would Willian have definitely been up to that task? The answer would be speculation.