You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Clyne

WhiskeyJar

Liverpool have beaten off competition from Manchester United for Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne, according to The Daily Express.

They say the England man will snub the Red Devils in favour of guaranteed first-team football on Merseyside.

Brendan Rodgers has apparently agreed personal terms with the defender but the two clubs are yet to thrash out a fee.

Looks like a solid enough right back and since we've only got a crocked Flanno, another youngster on loan and Wisdom at a push, this is one signing that probably will improve the first team.  How could it not?

Paying at least twice what he's worth cause of the nationality of course but we love doing that.  

Southampton will improve with the money, again.

Good player and final confirmation we wont have watch Johnson in a Liverpool shirt again.

So with Skrtel's signature two pieces of good news in one day. Ings are looking up. 

You've been having the "He's just like a new signing" cold sweats too, eh?

You've been having the "He's just like a new signing" cold sweats too, eh?

Indeed, I don't like the fact he's still listed as a free agent.  Free to sign a 1 year extension would have sent me fucking apoplectic. Anyway looks like Boiled Ham are about to take a punt. He'll probably have a good season for them just annoy us even more.. 

I don't think I've seen him play - though I must've against us? Anyway, because I have already decided that Ings is going to be the new signing I defend against all comers, despite never seeing him play (but surely against us? I DONT KNOW), then unfortunately Clyne will be the player I irrationally hate no matter what he does. Sorry about that.

I'm not unhappy. He's a decent full back, but a right back isn't a priority. You don't get from 6th to 3rd or 4th, by getting a good right back. Look at the full backs of the top 4 team; Ivanovic, Azipilicueta; both good players defensively but quite limited, City admittedly have the best fullback in the league in Zabaleta, but Clichy is average, Arsenal have Bellerin and Monreal who are nothing special. United have a winger, and Luke Shaw who struggled a bit last season. I think, where we're at, we could make do with Wisdom, Moreno, Flanagan and Enrique (and Manquillo?). The club will get better value for money if the 15m are invested elsewhere (e.g. a goalscorer).

I quite like Clyne. Problem is England are really really seriously shit. And we have a lot of English players, and keep buying more of the fuckers

English players are technically and physically very good, but they lack any kind of sophistication or subtlety to their play. Can you imagine Wilshere owning his own vineyard like Pirlo? They don't understand the game on an intricate, problem-solving, tactical level which is why they struggle to control the flow of games and rely on bursts of inspiration.

Good business as he improves the first eleven. Mind you, we shouldn't count our chickens until he's signed.

Obviously we need a top forward as well. I don't think that is happening until:

1. We shift some out (Lambert, Borini for sure. Balotelli might be harder).

2. We sell Sterling.

Hopefully a good midfielder will come in from the usual budget and/or other sales.

Liverpool are expected to complete a structured £15m deal to sign Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne in the early part of next week, according to Sky sources.

The clubs are still in negotiations over an agreement that will include a £12.5m up-front transfer fee and additional payments based on certain conditions that would eventually be met by the player.

Clyne, 24, is expected to undergo a medical next week after returning from holiday and is set to become the direct replacement for Glen Johnson, who was released by the club when his contract expired earlier this month.