You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst of the TLW Era - YOU decide: Left backs

tlw content

With the 100th and final issue of ‘The Liverpool Way’ fast approaching we’re looking to get your input on a series of articles featuring ‘the best and worst of’ the TLW era, which spans from August 1999 when the first issue was printed, to now as we prepare to declare once reaching a century.

You’ve already voted for your best team of the last 16 years (if you haven’t you can do so here) so now let’s go for the worst. Itandje looks to have nailed down the goalkeeper spot while Degen leads the way at right back, so today let’s get the other full back spot filled.

There’s a right motley crew here and this one is far from easy. So you decide, who was the worst?

Click here to view the article

Cissokho was mediocre and looked like he was shitting himself on a couple of occasions. Dossena was a wing back being asked to play as a full back and it showed up his limitations. Ziege was supposed to be a sure-fire hit in his position after a strong season with Boro and a reputation as one of Europe's strongest left backs, but he didn't play like he was particularly arsed which is galling because of the amount of trouble we went through to sign him.

Konchesky gets the vote though because even Stevie Wonder could tell you he was nowhere near the standard required. If you were a mid-table Premier League club, you signed players like Konchesky. If you are a fucking gobshite owl and you sign players like Konchesky, you can't complain when your club are no better than a mid-table Premier League club and the fans are on your back. We paid stupid money just to flush another turd at a time when money was tight.

• Upvote 1

What Aussie Scouser said re Dossena

Couldn't dislike Cissokho at all, clearly very limited but never shirked duty.

Ziege, just a lazy bastard who had the talent but chose not to do it, plus we got ourselves in hot water for tapping him up to add insult to injury.

Konchesky was never, ever good enough for us in a million years, and was signed by the Owl hence also goes against him.

Konchesky wins, Ziege would have strolled it otherwise.

Not being contrarian, but I went for Cissokho.

Take away the hate for Konchesky, and the owl link, and you just have a very limited fullback signed when the coffers were empty, slotted into a side that was coached to mediocrity. We were always ending up with shite that window, and if we didn't they'd have been coached to look shite.

Cissokho was likeable, but at times he was like nothing I'd ever seen. He didn't just shirk responsibility with the ball, he pinged it back to people like he was saying "fuck off, I don't want it". You could almost see his brain ready to explode in a Scanners fashion when he didn't have an obvious pass on.

I'll never forget seeing a one-two turning into a five-six, before the ball went out and he ran away like he'd broken a window. 

• Upvote 2

Aly Cissokho for me, by far in fact. Worst player i've ever seen play for us, so much so the other players would actively avoid passing to him unless he was the only option, he was absolutely dreadful.

Konchesky wasn't that bad, he just got the wrath of the fans because he wasn't good enough for a club like us and his mum went on a tirade against the fans for buzzing off him. Dossena scored that goal against the mancs and Zeige was a beast in Germany, so it has to be Aly.

I don´t understand people going easy on Konchesky just because he wasn´t expected to be good.

We no, he wasn´t, but the poll isn´t on most disappointing or most overrated players, it´s on the worst to play for us during a certain period. And Konchesky was very very bad, worse than any of the other players on the list. The fact that he was never expected to be good doesn´t really factor in for me.

• Upvote 1

I still maintain Konchesky wasn't as bad here as what people made out. Not good enough at all for us but guilty by Hodgson association. We didn't have a senior left back at the club at the time and had to also resign Aurelio after releasing him on a free such was the predicament of the club at the time. I understand the reason he signed Konchesky. Most managers sign a trusted player early on and Konchesky was part of a well drilled Hodgson back 4 that had lost narrowly in the Europa Final the year before.

I can only remember him getting caned by wingers in 2 games v United (Nani) and Spurs (Lennon) that's no disgrace as they're hard work on their day. The Doss was getting skinned by Bernard fucking Mendy v Hull in the 2-2 in 2008 and some guy at Leeds in the League Cup in 2009-10. Dossena for me.

• Upvote 3

I still maintain Konchesky wasn't as bad here as what people made out. Not good enough at all for us but guilty by Hodgson association. We didn't have a senior left back at the club at the time and had to also resign Aurelio after releasing him on a free such was the predicament of the club at the time. I understand the reason he signed Konchesky. Most managers sign a trusted player early on and Konchesky was part of a well drilled Hodgson back 4 that had lost narrowly in the Europa Final the year before.

I can only remember him getting caned by wingers in 2 games v United (Nani) and Spurs (Lennon) that's no disgrace as they're hard work on their day. The Doss was getting skinned by Bernard fucking Mendy v Hull in the 2-2 in 2008 and some guy at Leeds in the League Cup in 2009-10. Dossena for me.

A lot of truth in this.  Those two goals aside Dossena was utterly pathetic.

Last year, Konchesky was in the premiership and Doss was playing in league one.