You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fifa corruption

WhiskeyJar

Fifa corruption: Swiss banks 'reported account suspicions'

Swiss banks reported suspicious activity around accounts of football's world governing body Fifa, says the Swiss attorney general.
Michael Lauber said his office was analysing a "huge amount" of seized Fifa data in its corruption inquiry.

He said he did not rule out interviews with Fifa president Sepp Blatter as part of his inquiry.
The investigation could lead to the reopening of the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

• Upvote 1

Fifa is facing claims of widespread corruption after Swiss police raided a hotel in Zurich and arrested seven of its top executives last month.

The seven were held at the request of the US department of justice, which has charged 14 current and former Fifa officials and associates on charges of "rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted" corruption.

The charges follow a major inquiry by the FBI.

Mr Lauber told a news conference that his investigation was also looking at 53 banking relationships reported by the Swiss financial intelligence unit.

"We are facing a complex investigation with many international implications. The prosecution is ongoing and will take time. The world of football needs to be patient - by its nature, this investigation will take more than the legendary '90 minutes'," he said.

Apart from the obvious, ie here's some cash let us host it, how does the bidding actually work?

I ask as I have no clue how you bid to host a world cup, other than buying a vote.

Personally it should go to, and in no actual order,  1) countries who have won it, 2, countries who have the infrastructure to actually accommodate it, and 3, countries who have human right levels above and beyond stoning of raped wives, hanging of same sex couples, (not that I condone such a thing) (Cue Lizzie) the Swiss, anyone who has met Blatter, and countries where the legal age for sex allows the likes of jimmy saville, gary glitter and the likes a free run.

But seriously, how do you bid?

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no-one picked this up.

Blatter you're a corrupt cunt, the president of a rats nest of corrupt cunts and I hope there is hell just for corrupt cunts like you. The rest of you can visit me in jail.

Sepp Blatter: Fifa president says he has clean conscience

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says he has a clean conscience and anyone who calls him corrupt should be sent to jail.

The 79-year-old announced last month he will leave his role following ahigh-profile investigation into corruption at world football's governing body.

Blatter told German magazine Bunte  he has done nothing wrong and will go to heaven when he dies.

"Anybody who calls me corrupt because Fifa is corrupt, I can only shake my head," he said.

"Everybody who says something like that should go to jail," he added.

• 4 weeks later...

Platini's tainted, he'll get support because he helped oust Blatter, but his voting record and watch collection look bad.

The European nations will back him so they can chip away at the power of smaller associations, which have brought a more overt corruption to the game which they can't steer.

I wouldn't imagine UEFA are particularly well liked amongst all the other Associations, and therefore, Platini will probably be seen as UEFA's front man heading up FIFA.

If Blatter's past supporters are anything to go by, they'd vote for anybody other than Platini.

If Platini does manage to get voted in though, we might end up with Gill running UEFA, which will be another horror show.

They need to get truly independent people in, not people with past association with specific clubs, let alone a possible vested interest in favouring certain clubs.

At least Platini played football at the highest level, and Gill has helped to run a top football club, that is a considerable improvement on what has gone before.

I like Platini’s idea of a 2020 Euro Champs played in various cities rather than a country, but don’t approve of increasing the finals to 24 thereby restricting the number of countries who can subsequently hold it anyway.

I also applaud his courage in winding back some of the FFP requirements which turned out to be very unfair.

The FIFA presidency is intensely political, and the future will see China, India, Indonesia and Australia pitching for the World Cup, the European/South American hegemony is over.

Realistically, greater transparency in awarding WC’s is the best we can expect, the level of politicking going on will only increase.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...