You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Anny Road said:

This statement will probably be some bullshit nonsense about how she is carrying out the will of the people and taking back control and how parliament needs to back her or plunge the country into a no deal crisis. Not my fault.

Predicable.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Does she need the approval of the monarch before she can call an election?

Not anymore, no.  She'd need a vote, or a no confidence motion in the government would need to pass.  The default point, is a fair one though.  Although a motion could probably be tabled to require the government to request a delay in lieu of an election, before the vote.  Can't say for sure though, I'm sure someone else here might know.

So, the people have already voted, so we can’t go back to that, but MP’s now need to decide? Haven’t they already defeated her deal twice?  The slippery twat will get her deal through though. 

Tories so so hell bent on power, she’ll just threaten a GE so they will back her as that’s the last thing they want 

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Not anymore, no.  She'd need a vote, or a no confidence motion in the government would need to pass.  The default point, is a fair one though.  Although a motion could probably be tabled to require the government to request a delay in lieu of an election, before the vote.  Can't say for sure though, I'm sure someone else here might know.

I'm no expert, I believe if she lost a no confidence vote then the opposition could form a government. If she calls a general election herself then parliament is dissolved and we crash out while they're not sitting. I think she may do this.

3 minutes ago, Captain Marvel said:

I'm no expert, I believe if she lost a no confidence vote then the opposition could form a government. If she calls a general election herself then parliament is dissolved and we crash out while they're not sitting. I think she may do this.

She would need 2/3rds of the house to vote in favour of the snap general election, before 2011 fixed term govt act it would have been a matter of Royal Approval.

I only know this because I was already looking it up to check my earlier post.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

Tories so so hell bent on power, she’ll just threaten a GE so they will back her as that’s the last thing they want 

Apparently she’s just ruled out a GE in a meeting with the ERG. But given she U turns when the wind direction changes, who knows...

She’s hell bent on her deal being passed. In her mind (given the rest of us never thought she had one) she’s staked her whole reputation on it.

That means she neither wants to be the PM who failed to achieve Brexit, nor the PM who takes us out in a potentially ruinous no-deal.

Surely she’s only been leaving it on the table to threaten people into voting her way in exactly the same mealy-mouthed, cunty style she’s kept delaying these ‘meaningful’ votes.

I don’t believe for a second she’s after a no-deal Brexit. If hers doesn’t pass,

especially after this ludicrous faux-statesman pantomime tonight, she’ll have it delayed, hand it over and fuck off back to the wheat-fields saying she’s done her bit but been stymied by everyone else.

I think the point of tonight was because she knows she's fucked. She hasn't got support of the DUP, she hasnt got the Brexiteers, she hasn't got the rest of the house and Bercow may even put a wall in front of her.

The only option she has is to spin it to the public to put pressure on MP's and Parliament.

Faisal Islam has raised a valid point. Given that she's so set on her deal being the right one and because she needs to win round a decent amount of MPs for said deal to go through, maybe it wasn't a great tactic to make a statement which attacked MPs. 

Dominic Grieve has pretty much unofficially told her to fuck off and that he won't be bullied into voting for something he doesn't want to.