You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I thought they would only grant a short delay for a meaningful reason, i.e. in terms of May’s deal having been accepted through a further meaningful vote but needing further time for legislative changes.

There seems to have been a lot of speculation that without such a justification, a much longer delay and us having to vote in the European Parliamentary elections in May would likely be all that is offered by them.

11 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Is it possible that time will simply run out and we leave with no deal? Mays deal is dead and Europe say they will only grant an extension for a meaningful reason? Could be heading only one way with time running out quickly

The vote to rule out no deal is not binding. Leaving in 11 days or whenever is in law. Without legislation that’s what happens.

I think the EU will grant an extension to avoid any blame. The reasons might not be as black and white as people are saying. I'm not so sure in practice all members need to approve either ( obviously they could veto but highly the small countries would go against France and Germany )

Going to go the wire that seems certain.

I'm trying to write a bit of a Brexit update for my union branch newsletter - y'know, just trying to make the whole thing simple and clear.  And then get it finished before something happens to change everything again.  Piece of piss.

I might resort to gifs.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Sxi6WxL.gif?noredirect

tumblr_nbkdl6JiS91r0e4bgo6_250.gif

• Upvote 1

The plan is to extend and kick the can down the road until a point where they can u turn and remain. They are trying to do it in a way where the kick off will be tempered by the sheer amount of time they've spent fart-arsing around it. 

8 minutes ago, Boss said:

The plan is to extend and kick the can down the road until a point where they can u turn and remain. They are trying to do it in a way where the kick off will be tempered by the sheer amount of time they've spent fart-arsing around it. 

Bit of a shit plan, really.  It would have been better to delay invoking Article 50, if what you say is true, rather than hastily triggering it. 

16 minutes ago, Boss said:

Basically until enough of the old timers die out and Remain starts polling well enough. 

Bercow is clearly right in preventing the government from ignoring the previous vote for an extension to Article 50 to drag the same shite out again.  The EU not being amenable to a lip service 3 month delay that would solve no problems whatsoever (and split focus during the European elections) is hardly surprising, but that's the government's decision, there's no reason to not take a more practical route.  Of course that would admit what has been clear for two years, triggering article 50 before performing any real planning was fucking imbecilic.

Not doing any planning for over a year after that was outright negligent and this now is just a shambles.  They've royally fucked it and playing to the gallery isn't helping.

Seen David Allen Green on twitter say that Bercow will probably be perfectly happy to take the "blame" for forcing their hand and the government will be perfectly happy to be given someone to blame.  So they'll still be happy to splash around without a clue until a no confidence vote finally gets rid.

• Upvote 3

When Chris Bryant stood up to shelve his amendment as it was called last week, I thought it was blatantly apparent due to the knowing exchange between them that was because the matter had been raised with the speaker.

It wasn’t said explicitly, but I got the inference watching that it had been raised through other channels, so I’m fairly sure everyone in the chamber should have been expecting this to come up.

My favourite is James Cleverly bleating about how if only Bercow had told them this last week they may have voted differently. Single-handedly debunking nominative-determinism.

You can see his point, I suppose. It is a bit rich to have people vote on something they’ve not been fully informed about, then not let them review their decision when its true consequences only become clear after the fact.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

My favourite is James Cleverly bleating about how if only Bercow had told them this last week they may have voted differently. Single-handedly debunking nominative-determinism.

You can see his point, I suppose. It is a bit rich to have people vote on something they’ve not been fully informed about, then not let them review their decision when its true consequences only become clear after the fact.

At the point they voted nobody anticipated May was going to go for a further try. So when they voted the situation was no different than it is now, after Bercow’s Ruling, and any whinging is disingenuous.

On 13/03/2019 at 15:45, Anny Road said:

An interesting comment from the speaker in response to a point of order by Angela Eagle saying he would make a ruling if May keeps pushing for votes on her deal given that it has been twatted twice. He may boot it out.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Keep reading that Bercow's announcement has come without any warning or is a bolt from the blue , but I read at the weekend that Angela Eagle had made the exact point about reheating the same bill & asked him for a ruling.

That was on the 13th.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

I see what you did there. I like it.