You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

40 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Did anyone else get the Gammon King's propaganda mag (Wetherspoon News) through their door?

It's just another reason to avoid their piss-soaked grief-holes.

Through your door? The Wetherspoon News? Surely a copy of The Big Issue is more likely than one of them dropping on the fucking mat 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yep. No idea what I've done to deserve it, mind. Maybe we're on a list somewhere.

That’s not a list it’s a register. 

I see Airbus are the latest to say they’ll leave if it becomes difficult. 

Lots of Tories seem happy to say businesses will leave the UK if trading becomes difficult under a Labour government but say its scaremongering when the same threat is made about Brexit.  Consistency needed!  

6 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

Lots of Tories seem happy to say businesses will leave the UK if trading becomes difficult under a Labour government but say its scaremongering when the same threat is made about Brexit.  Consistency needed!  

It'll be okay. Who needs jobs... 

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I'd say Norway more than manages from what I've seen. As does Switzerland and Iceland. Greece, Portugal and Spain however don't seem to have got the memo about EU membership boosting your economy.

Yes, I'm sure Brexit will be fine in the long run. But this long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead. Economists set themselves too easy, too useless a task, if in tempestuous seasons they can only tell us, that when the storm is long past, the ocean is flat again.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rico1304 said:

It's amazing after rubbishing the role of 'experts' just how many Brexit MP's turn out to be experts on specific industrial sectors they have no commercial experience in?

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

I voted Remain, but I am not sure what the problem is for Airbus. Aircraft components are tariff free under WTO rules. Maybe he thinks its a supply chain issue. Maybe.

Rules of origin rather than just tariffs are the big issue trading under WTO when they have established just in time supply lines and staged construction of aircraft wings being flown in and out of the country from their own airport at Hawarden. Same goes for automotive. It will be chaos.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, rico1304 said:

David Davis has just disclosed a new £60,000-a-year job at JCB, whose chairman is pro-Brexit Anthony Bamford

For a total of 20 hrs work. It truly is a meritocracy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46981440

Tory MP David Davis will earn £60,000 for 20 hours of work as an adviser to manufacturing company JCB.

The former Brexit Secretary said he had consulted Parliament's advisory committee about the job.

Mr Davis has also been made a board member of German manufacturing company Mansfelder Kupfer Und Messing for six months - from which he earned £36,085.

One Labour MP said it was "disgusting" he would earn that amount after he "failed to properly plan for Brexit".

The two wages are in addition to the £77,379 that Mr Davis earns as a basic salary for an MP.

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46981440

Let's be fair, David needs to secure his income after the impending economic collapse. At least he hasn't applied for French residency unlike a certain other well known Brexiteer. Brexit is clearly for the little people. Rat's leaving a sinking ship i.e. Mogg, Redwood, Davis, Dyson, Lawson and Farrage.

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Some express surprise that, when the term 'meritocracy' was coined by the man who sired Toby Young, the universe did not instantly disappear and get replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. 

There is another theory which states that this did happen.

(with apologies to Douglas Adams)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

2nd ref amendment to the vote next week binned. That's not happening then.

IMO its no deal or extension of Article 50.

Get another no confidence vote in as a result of either.

Surprised Labour don't support May's deal at this point given it would lead to the DUP bringing down May's government and a general election. May's deal may well split the Tory party and it would be difficult for the Tory's to argue that Labour are anti-brexit given that they've supported the Tory governments legislation. You'd also have May leading yet another disastrous GE campaign and it would be easy for Labour to shift the focus onto other issues.

If Labour win they could then negotiate the permanent customs union and form of single market integration they state they want as part of the trade negotiation. The EU wouldn't have a problem with a trade agreement that was more integrated than the withdrawal agreement. Brexiteer's wouldn't be happy but would the country genuinely care by that point?

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

What would you prefer, no deal or revoke Article 50?

1 hour ago, Anny Road said:

Revoke article 50 and get in a proper negotiating team. Customs union and Free Market access and a Tory spilt.

Just to be clear - revoking article 50 means cancelling brexit.

We can extend article 50 with the permission of the EU. Or we can revoke it unilaterily.

10 minutes ago, M_B said:

Just to be clear - revoking article 50 means cancelling brexit.

We can extend article 50 with the permission of the EU. Or we can revoke it unilaterily.

I can't see the EU extending Art.50, they'll let us remain by revoking it or just put us out of our misery. I don't think there's any appetite to let us keep kicking cans down the road along with the upcoming European elections.