You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yes, that’s because they were talking utter bullshit and making out we could have our cake and eat it. Which is why they were saying we would still be in the single market but also able to conclude fantastic trade deals with the rest of the world. The truth is that we will never get trade deals on our own as good as we currently have under the EU. 

Just more examples of prominent leave voices living in a fantasy land.

Number of trade deals ready to go? Zero.

0293E4AC-9377-4615-818B-32517CD420A3.jpeg

9D948238-1446-4E70-AE8F-C651E05C78E6.jpeg

They drove around the country in a bus with a massive lie plastered all over it.

I don't know how anyone can pretend they weren't liars, pretend that the two sides were equally dishonest or pretend that the lies had no effect on the outcome. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

Cannot see it doing anything other than galvanising and encouraging the right and the stupid. Un rest will be between the population not against the establishment.

It would be really toxic, though.  The rhetoric would all be about "death of Democwacy" etc. 

For every action there is a reaction there will be unintended consequences if say article 50 was revoked. But I think people are focusing on the wrong thing. British people are probably to polite for civil unrest it would involve queuing and checking the weather forecast prior to any activity.

I suspect the reaction would be in the ballot box in the long-term. We may end up with a Bannon/Farage or some type who feeds into the discontent that would decimate Labour and the Conservatives in some regions. 

Think how strongly people feel about the Lib Dems or Tony Blair and Iraq or Thatcher. 

2 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

For every action there is a reaction. But I think people are focusing on the wrong thing. British people are probably to polite for civil unrest it would involve queuing and checking the weather forecast prior to any activity.

I suspect the reaction would be in the ballot box in the long-term. We may end up with a Bannon inspired party that would decimate Labour and the Conservatives in some regions. 

Dont know. Have you seen the loonies outside the commons. EDL thrown into that mix with a bit of anti fasc will not be pretty.

Just now, Anny Road said:

Dont know. Have you seen the loonies outside the commons. EDL thrown into that mix with a bit of anti fasc will not be pretty.

I think a political party that feeds into the anger will be worse than a few loons. I think there would be a reaction but most likely through the ballot box. We already know UKIP pulled in around four million votes in 2015 and they were a disorganised mob. 

6 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

It has nothing to do with the result or the consequences it will be about the defiance of the will of the people. With a lot of powerful emotive propaganda behind it.

It was an advisory referendum. And we have a Parliamentary democracy. Maybe we need our politicians to step in, to lead and govern and tell the people they've made the wrong choice and to restore the status quo of leaving important decisions to politicians. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, no doubt about it. I see nothing to suggest there’d be significant civil unrest though. 

Never been to a big jackpot bingo night at the Broad Campden Village Community Hall, I take it? Just wear your stab vest, that's all I'm saying.....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

It was an advisory referendum. And we have a Parliamentary democracy. Maybe we need our politicians to step in, to lead and govern and tell the people they've made the wrong choice and to restore the status quo of leaving important decisions to politicians. 

Non of that will matter to Terry from Hull.

40 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Should "democracy" really be respected when it produces a blatantly wrong and dangerous result that might decimate the economy and risk people's lives, particularly when there's a chance that people might have changed their mind? 

Fuck it. Bring on the yellow vested fuckwits. We'll have them off anyway. 

Does the act of leaving the EU have that impact though or is it the way it's been handled?

Norway seems to manage okay and it has a customs border with Sweden.

Fuck it what do they know, I defer to JK Rowling's expertise in these matters. We must stay in the EU because to not do so would be racist and I'll be forced to travel around Cambodia endlessly apologising for my Britishness.

All Brexit has confirmed to me is that the country is full of bellends on all sides. Voters, politicians, celebrities, journalists, the vast majority who've waded in are disingenuous shysters.