You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes. I answered in the first word. I’ll say it again... yes. There’s no harm in checking whether people still want to stay/leave. 

That said, the two things aren’t comparable. In staying we knew what would happen. Things would stay the same. With leaving, we didn’t vote for what type of leave we wanted, or what was possible. We do now. We also know that it will cost us billions. Not because it’s my views, it’s official. If no deal seems to be the only option, as it seems to be at the moment, there’s even more reason to make sure the British public want to do it. Knowing now what we didn’t then, the massive cost, and having had two years to digest it, it’s not an affront to democracy to check. If they still want to go, we go.

you still haven’t given a coherent answer to why more democracy is less democratic. I think the truth is, you don’t want people to have a second say because you want to leave. 

There is harm. You don't understand what calling the whole thing on again will do to the country. If Remain wins there will be chaos because the first vote wasn't enacted. If Leave wins, what happens next? do we have a third referendum, and if you lose that one, a fourth?

The result must be respected. Calling the whole thing on and creating those divisions again is madness and the result will never be clear one way or the other because the country is split down the middle. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boss said:

It was made clear on the pamphlets delivered through the post. Leaving meant leaving the EU, single market, the Customs Union and the European Court of Justice.

Is this the pamphlet that you're referring to?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/525022/20160523_Leaflet_EASY_READ_FINAL_VERSION.pdf

It doesn't contain the phrases "Customs Union" or ECJ at all.  

8 minutes ago, Boss said:

There is harm. You don't understand what calling the whole thing on again will do to the country. If Remain wins there will be chaos because the first vote wasn't enacted. If Leave wins, what happens next? do we have a third referendum, and if you lose that one, a fourth?

The result must be respected. Calling the whole thing on and creating those divisions again is madness and the result will never be clear one way or the other because the country is split down the middle. 

What has lead you to think I don’t understand? I understand the it’s divisive and I understand there will be a lot of discontent. But I support democracy. You clearly supported democracy in a one off vote with no way to change your mind. 

Again, you avoided my question but I think I’m pretty much done. I made my point. Anyway, you’ve hanged your argument from it being anti-democratic to have more democracy, which was plain idiotic, to a most valid argument if you think it’ll be too divisive. Fine. I disagee. I think democracy is more important. 

I’d also like to see this leaflet, presumably from the official leave campaign or I don’t see why it would be relevant, that explicitly stated we would leave the customs union and ECJ. It’s escaped my attention if it exists.

None of this it was implied bullshit - saying we want to negotiate new trade deals doesn’t mean the electorate know that means leaving the customs union. The majority of people probably didn’t even know what a customs union was. 

Almost to a man, all the big ‘vote leave’ heavy hitters said it would be ridiculous to take us out of the single market/CU, or advocated Norway/Switzerland which would mean remaining in the single market. 

8398FC3B-28E8-45A0-BE82-952C0A724E2F.jpeg

3485329B-23EE-4E85-B534-EF4EF88268AF.png

5A38BC92-7189-46EA-A59A-C87F9F392E8F.jpeg

40DE6E2C-911C-497A-9DB1-532E37EC763D.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Evidently, you don't believe that Remain would "cost us so much and gain so little", so you're imparting your views of Leave, on Remain - as a Remain voter. I asked you if Remain won - with you being a Remain voter - would you be happy to run the whole thing again, dividing the whole country once more to give Leave a second chance?

If Remain won then nothing had to happen. The question of leaving would undoubtedly have been raised again at some point.

I can't remember if it implicitly said Leave means leaving the Customs Union and the ECJ, but it did imply it. Ie we can make our own laws (leave ECJ) and conclude deals with countries outside the EU (ie leave the customs union). I know the Leave campaign spoke repeatedly about those things during the referendum though.

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

I can't remember if it implicitly said Leave means leaving the Customs Union and the ECJ, but it did imply it. Ie we can make our own laws (leave ECJ) and conclude deals with countries outside the EU (ie leave the customs union). I know the Leave campaign spoke repeatedly about those things during the referendum though.

Yes, that’s because they were talking utter bullshit and making out we could have our cake and eat it. Which is why they were saying we would still be in the single market but also able to conclude fantastic trade deals with the rest of the world. The truth is that we will never get trade deals on our own as good as we currently have under the EU. 

Just more examples of prominent leave voices living in a fantasy land.

Number of trade deals ready to go? Zero.

0293E4AC-9377-4615-818B-32517CD420A3.jpeg

9D948238-1446-4E70-AE8F-C651E05C78E6.jpeg