You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

EU citizens in the UK  - people with jobs, families, lives here - are having to pay to request permission to stay from today. They then have to hope that some future government isn't incompetent and/or xenophobic enough to remove that permission, either through neglect (think Windrush) or by design. 

It's an arbitrary and cruel attack on the lives and wellbeing of a couple of million working people, which 51.9% of the electorate in 2016 voted for. (Obviously, the very people with most at stake were barred from voting in the Referendum. )

13 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Well, I never...

It looks like the Maybot isn't pursuing a cross party consensus on Brexit. 

I bet all the MP's who rushed to number 10 to try and look good all feel a bit silly now. If only an MP had publicly called out her offer as being not a genuine one and had refused to attend...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/20/theresa-may-cross-party-consensus-brexit-backstop-tory-split

Yep, Corbyn dodged a bullet there.

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

Yep, Corbyn dodged a bullet there.

Corbyn played that badly no matter if he was right. You've got to remember people have the attention spans of goldfish and papers aren't going to retract all their headlines. He should have gone in thete and then smashed into her in the press after any meeting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Corbyn played that badly no matter if he was right. You've got to remember people have the attention spans of goldfish and papers aren't going to retract all their headlines. He should have gone in thete and then smashed into her in the press after any meeting.

I think he played it right. But, that he needs to emphasise that and make that the most recent headline. That there was no intention for a cross party consenus, even chucking in a bit of arrogant "hey, I told you so...was I right, eh? Was I right?" rhetoric. 

Maybe even take a snipe back at the Lib Dems, pointing out that yet another Lib Dem leader has dropped their knickers and been conned by the Tories. Again. 

Maybe Farron wasn't that bad after all. Apart from the gay hating stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think he played it right. But, that he needs to emphasise that and make that the most recent headline. That there was no intention for a cross party consenus, even chucking in a bit of arrogant "hey, I told you so...was I right, eh? Was I right?" rhetoric. 

Maybe even take a snipe back at the Lib Dems, pointing out that yet another Lib Dem leader has dropped their knickers and been conned by the Tories. Again. 

Maybe Farron wasn't that bad after all. Apart from the gay hating stuff. 

Yeah, this is where he needs to be on the front foot I think. Fair enough he wants to remain ambiguous over Brexit but it shouldn't prevent him coming to the fore, urging at least acceptance of a CU for starters and then lambasting May over flogging a dead horse that only a handful accept.

This I tend to believe. Who else is shocked May putting party before country.

May wants parliament to rule out no-deal Brexit, Cooper says

Labour MP claims Tories want article 50 extension but party politics prevents open support

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/21/may-wants-parliament-to-rule-out-no-deal-brexit-yvette-cooper-article-50-extension

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Jeremy Corbyn will never smash anyone in the press, because the people who control what goes in the papers - the tax-dodging billionaires who own the papers  - are implacably opposed to everything he stands for.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Sky poll shows that 26% of people polled (not sure if just leave voters) think a No Deal means remaining in the EU. I think they best have a read up before any future vote.

This is why such a complex issue should never have been put to them in the first place. It's like asking a load of frogs to vote on their favourite type of nuclear physics.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Donald Tusk has confirmed what I suspected all along: that Cameron felt able to promise a referendum in the first place because he didn't expect to win outright in 2015.

I asked David Cameron, ‘Why did you decide on this referendum, this – it’s so dangerous, so even stupid, you know,’ and, he told me - and I was really amazed and even shocked - that the only reason was his own party, [He told me] he felt really safe, because he thought at the same time that there’s no risk of a referendum, because, his coalition partner, the Liberals, would block this idea of a referendum. But then, surprisingly, he won and there was no coalition partner. So paradoxically David Cameron became the real victim of his own victory.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Donald Tusk has confirmed what I suspected all along: that Cameron felt able to promise a referendum in the first place because he didn't expect to win outright in 2015.

Why the fuck did he think the Lib Dems would hold the balance of power again ?

They self destructed after they backed tuition fees and had been overtaken by UKIP in the polls.

It's bullshit from Cameron and he did it to nullify Farage. The Tories are still putting party before country.  

1 minute ago, magicrat said:

Right up to election day, the polls were predicting another hung parliament. Labour and the Tories were polling dead level. There was a very late swing to the Tories that is attributed to fears of a Labour/SNP coalition, which wasn't picked up in polling.

• Upvote 1

Surely Cameron of all people knew the Liberals couldn’t block any of his ideas, they were after all only a junior partner.

He’s ruffling their hair with his trotters there like a dad pretending his toddler’s punches hurt, the cheeky little shiny pink-faced arsehole.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, skend04 said:

He can't win either way, if he'd gone he'd have been shafted too. If people are too lazy to read past the headlines then fuck'em.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Right up to election day, the polls were predicting another hung parliament. Labour and the Tories were polling dead level. There was a very late swing to the Tories that is attributed to fears of a Labour/SNP coalition, which wasn't picked up in polling.

Yep, fears of a 'coalition of chaos', how ironic. I remember being shocked when the exit poll predicted an outright Tory majority, as well as this-

5 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Surely Cameron of all people knew the Liberals couldn’t block any of his ideas, they were after all only a junior partner.

Why not, we blocked most of his ideas between 2010-15.

Anyway, I'd say a No Deal Brexit is fair reward for the country after how they treated the Lib Dems...

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

Why not, we blocked most of his ideas between 2010-15.

It was a facetious pinch of your cheek, for your oft-repeated claim they were unable to check various instances of diabolical Tory intent due to their junior status, Strontsy.

19 minutes ago, magicrat said:

They self destructed after they backed tuition fees and had been overtaken by UKIP in the polls.

It's bullshit from Cameron and he did it to nullify Farage. The Tories are still putting party before country.  

Whilst i agree with 90% of your post

A hung parliament seemed odds on and Cameron Osbourne (remmber them and who and what brought that little duo crumbling down)  and Cleggy were a bunch of chancers.