You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

6 minutes ago, Boss said:

No.

Okay. And how do you square your advocacy of the freedom to spit venom at MPs and political commentators in public with your belief that any Labour member who refers to the current leadership as Trots should be booted out of the party? Do you believe in free speech for far-right bigots, but not for centrist moderates?

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

Okay. And how do you square your advocacy of the freedom to spit venom at MPs and political commentators in public with your belief that any Labour member who refers to the current leadership as Trots should be booted out of the party? Do you believe in free speech for far-right bigots, but not for centrist moderates?

I don't think Labour MP's should be booted out of the party for referring to Corbyn, McDonnell or Momentum as Trots.

I believe in free speech for everyone.

Hope that clears it up.

15 minutes ago, Boss said:

Free speech gives them the right to say what they want as long as they do not physically attack anyone. Arresting them for airing their views, however unsavoury, would mean we live in a Police State. This is a dangerous Orwellian precedent. 

Bollocks. 

They're not protesting. Their actions have gone beyond mere protest. 

They're insulting, defaming and trying to intimidate people in a public place, often following them for a prolonged period of time, shouting at them and aggressively surrounding people, which may lead to them being intimidated. 

Free speech has always had limits in the UK. Particularly when it conflicts with people feeling safe and the maintaining of public order. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, Boss said:

I'd like to see the party show some objectivity and ban everyone that uses the words Trot, Trotsky, Comrade, Commie, regressive left, terrorist sympathiser, Corbynista, Corbyn's stormtroopers or any other derogatory term towards the other side on social media, in the interest of fairness.

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't think Labour MP's should be booted out of the party for referring to Corbyn, McDonnell or Momentum as Trots.

I believe in free speech for everyone.

Hope that clears it up.

Okay, so you've changed your mind since writing the above then? Good to know, as I value consistency.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, rico1304 said:

Have they? Where have they said that? 

In fairness, I've been chasing the story since I posted that. Someone claimed that the EU said it on 16th December, but I can't find a source. I can only find Labour people  (who have been talking to various EU bods) saying that they're confident the EU will talk. It might be bollocks. If I find anything concrete, I'll post it.

But, it is, at least, plausible.  If Labour succeed in forcing and winning a General Election, they would then go to the EU to say "May's deal cannot be ratified by the UK Parliament; nobody in the UK or the EU 27 wants a No Deal; let's talk". It seems pretty obvious to me that they would negotiate with a Labour Government. 

Three points to make.

Harassing someone or following them is out of order.

Calling someone a Nazi is not especially, if it was half the people who've locked horns with a traffic warden would be in the clink.

Soubry is a cunt.

That's all.

43 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

In fairness, I've been chasing the story since I posted that. Someone claimed that the EU said it on 16th December, but I can't find a source. I can only find Labour people  (who have been talking to various EU bods) saying that they're confident the EU will talk. It might be bollocks. If I find anything concrete, I'll post it.

But, it is, at least, plausible.  If Labour succeed in forcing and winning a General Election, they would then go to the EU to say "May's deal cannot be ratified by the UK Parliament; nobody in the UK or the EU 27 wants a No Deal; let's talk". It seems pretty obvious to me that they would negotiate with a Labour Government. 

I seem to remember Labour saying they were shown more love than the current government in the EU, but that was in informal meetings. EU would renegotiate if the new government offered a better deal, along the lines of a Brexit in name only, but I don't know if all their future MPs would support such a deal in parliament. There might be various insurances in election campaign to Labour voting or undecided Leavers which would preclude that, so EU may just end up in the same situation as now.  

2 hours ago, Boss said:

Free speech gives them the right to say what they want as long as they do not physically attack anyone. Arresting them for airing their views, however unsavoury, would mean we live in a Police State. This is a dangerous Orwellian precedent. 

If Orwell were alive today he'd be spinning in his grave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I didn’t think they had.  I’m amazed only one other person picked up on it though.  Blatantly dishonest.  Anyone else pulling a trick like that would get hammered. 

3 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Well, colour me surprised...

James Goddard: Who Is The Angry Brexiteer Who Shouts At Politicians Outside Westminster?

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/james-goddard-westminster_uk_5c347e43e4b05d4e96bc1892?1od&ec_carp=2776461780354713895

He's moaning there are police outside his Mums house. The sad bastard still lives at home.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Boss said:

No deal is actually a better deal than May's deal. At least with a No deal Brexit we can forge tariff free trade deals with countries outside the EU. We have clarity over the fact we've left, so there isn't this 20__ stuff written into the agreement that causes us to be a vessel state impertuity. All member states have to agree for us to leave, and a blind man can see that's not going to happen.

The inevitable stock market crash (caused by speculation) will take place and then we set up a plan in earnest to bounce back as quickly as possible. Otherwise there's just constant uncertainty for years. We don't have Sovereignty because of the Backstop. We don't have strong borders because of the Backstop. Illegal immigration will increase in numbers, again, because of the Backstop. We're still bound to most of the EU's laws and directives, which defeats the whole point of leaving, and we have no means to vote on these laws because we've vetoed our right to do so.

If Labour veto the possibility of a No Deal Brexit they are basically consigning the country to a far worse fate long term. They are taking off the table the only negotiating tactic we have to acquire an improved deal from the EU. 

We are not a vassal state. That's JRM  speak,

Forging new deals in the Brave New World is a figment of Liam Fox's imagination.

By far the best outcome will be to have a 2nd vote and Remain. There will be plenty of unrest but nowhere near the chaos caused by a cliff edge departure. Even more so now as the vote today prevents May from spunking more cash on her farcical preparations for no deal.

20 minutes ago, magicrat said:

The inevitable stock market crash (caused by speculation) will take place and then we set up a plan in earnest to bounce back as quickly as possible.

Piece of piss. Just get a plan.  Don’t know why anyone is worried, we’ll have a plan.  

• Upvote 1