You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

49 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Why didn't that commie Corbyn think of this? 

https://www.gofundme.com/build-a-wall-in-the-english-channel

That’s some brilliant trolling of the Brexit mob. The more rabid of them won’t get to this bit before hitting the PayPal button. Remmie or Col need to link this on Amy’s Facebook page...

LEGAL NOTE: In the event that this project runs into difficulties during the research and development stage, funds will be donated to charitable causes in the South East of England.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:42 AM, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don't think the Labour Party members are - overall - set 'able to win and election' as their main priority. They voted Ed Miliband ahead of his brother, they voted Corbyn in. That's the business of the Labour Party, and there's nothing inherently wrong with voting for your favourite candidate. But we're seeing the result of it. I'd very much settle for a non-war version of Blair/Brown. I spent years bashing New Labour, and would again, but the Tories (who supported the same wars, to more of a degree than Labour. And a more unbalanced economy, even more than Labour) are far worse. If it's a choice between something like 1997-2007 or 2010-2020, it's no choice at all. Like I say, it's the business of the Labour Party to chose their leader. I just wish they'd look for somebody who could win, rather than pulling apart their own party for being 'right wing' when really, those they're targeting are just less left wing than they are.

I haven’t read through the rest of the thread yet so this may have been pointed out but in my opinion 2010-2020 is a direct result of 1997-2007.  The Labour Party and the left in general pandered to these cunts and it lead to a meltdown anyone could have seen coming.  It was a failing of right wing economic politics.  The thing nobody seen coming though was the country then having nowhere to go because labour were the face of it and ended up voting in an even more right wing party.

This “Corbyn can’t win” stuff is tedious.  There needs to be options on the ballot or it’s pointless.  The longer the tories go on the better chance Labour have if winning.  A left wing Labour Party would probably have won in 97 or at worst in 2001/2.  I think the majority of people looking back now would have taken an extra few years to avoid all the fucking nonsense Blair brought in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

NV - that post reads like you still believe the "Corbyn can’t win" guff. That was emphatically disproven last year, when he reversed decades of decline in Labour’s vote share and defied all predictions and polls to destroy May's majority, despite powerful members of the party (in the PLP and the NEC) working against a Labour victory. 

If there's a General Election in 2019, Labour will be starting from a stronger polling position than in 2017; will have the NEC and the central party machinery united in working for a victory; and will have candidates selected locally, who will be less likely to work against the party.  Of course we can win.

Your last sentence implies that the left wing of the party is carrying out some sort of purge. That's simply untrue.  There is plenty of room in the party for members  (and MPs) who can genuinely be described as "moderates" (such as my own MP,  Stephen Twigg) provided they don’t actively work against the party, the way a noisy minority of the PLP and the commentariat do.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I haven’t read through the rest of the thread yet so this may have been pointed out but in my opinion 2010-2020 is a direct result of 1997-2007.  The Labour Party and the left in general pandered to these cunts and it lead to a meltdown anyone could have seen coming.  It was a failing of right wing economic politics.  The thing nobody seen coming though was the country then having nowhere to go because labour were the face of it and ended up voting in an even more right wing party.

This “Corbyn can’t win” stuff is tedious.  There needs to be options on the ballot or it’s pointless.  The longer the tories go on the better chance Labour have if winning.  A left wing Labour Party would probably have won in 97 or at worst in 2001/2.  I think the majority of people looking back now would have taken an extra few years to avoid all the fucking nonsense Blair brought in.

I don't agree with a word of that. We live in a right wing country or certainly right wing enough on the 1st past the post system. I am 48 years of age and the only elections I can recall labour winning are when they convinced the right they would implement right wing policies. For me, the only time we can have a true left wing labour party with any hope of forming a government is if we get rid of this ridiculous 1st past the post system we have - and labour still won't win outright, they'd need to be able to work with other parties. 

40 years of a dominant economic ideology has defined that. Just as the period from the end of the 2nd world war until the late 70s was defined by a different economic ideology. 

If you want a left wing government you have to make left wing economics the norm. 

The public aren't some unchangeable entity. They are moulded by every single facet of life/power. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

40 years of a dominant economic ideology has defined that. Just as the period from the end of the 2nd world war until the late 70s was defined by a different economic ideology. 

If you want a left wing government you have to make left wing economics the norm. 

The public aren't some unchangeable entity. They are moulded by every single facet of life/power. 

I think with the electoral system we have and the relative prosperity the "swing" voters live in, I don't believe that change is viable. 

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

That relative prosperity has a shelf life. 

My generation will have fuck all to conserve.

You might be right. Brexit might also drive us so deep into recession that people's view will change. But I don't expect that at all - the way to greatest change for us would be to do away with the 1st past the post system that serves the Conservative party and right wing politics so well 

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Agreed re the voting system.

I do feel centrist politics or, more accurately where the centre was moved to, is dying. 

It shifts back to the left or the fascists take over. 

I think with our voting system it's very possible to get an ultra right tory government under the current system. Now Labour has lost Scotland and large parts of Wales to the nationalist parties, I don't see them gaining enough seats in England with a left Labour party, because I think this countries natural leanings are  what they believe is safety 1st - be that financial or national security - and unfortunately the tories play that card better in the swing seats. 

With PR that would all change. Nobody would gain an outright majority and Labour would very quickly learn to work with the Scottish and Welsh national parties. 

In August 2012, Adrian and Gillian Bayford, from Haverhill, Suffolk, won more than £148m

He’s a bit of a tight arse, this fella. I live there and I’ve personally seen him completely and deliberately blank people trying to raise money for the air ambulance and also walk out of Tesco on a ‘food bank drive’ day without chucking in so much as a tin of peaches. The wife ran off with the gardener. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

In August 2012, Adrian and Gillian Bayford, from Haverhill, Suffolk, won more than £148m

He’s a bit of a tight arse, this fella. I live there and I’ve personally seen him completely and deliberately blank people trying to raise money for the air ambulance and also walk out of Tesco on a ‘food bank drive’ day without chucking in so much as a tin of peaches. The wife ran off with the gardener. 

That's always the risk with the upward class mobility.

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The gardener had nicer tasting plums.

• Like 1

Happy New Year all 

A lady giving a sensible view of Brexit and the EU at the bottom of the following link.

God help her is she tried raising those rather sensible concerns on here  She'd be burnt at the internet stake of fury.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/02/german-leftwing-movement-will-take-to-streets-like-gilet-jaunes-in-2019

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Happy New Year all 

A lady giving a sensible view of Brexit and the EU at the bottom of the following link.

God help her is she tried raising those rather sensible concerns on here  She'd be burnt at the internet stake of fury.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/02/german-leftwing-movement-will-take-to-streets-like-gilet-jaunes-in-2019

"...unlike in Germany the companies have been able to depend on east European workers..."

Why have German companies not been able to depend on East European workers?