You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

Has anyone thought that the hard border issue could be solved by joining Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland together as one country. Would save a lot of nonsense, surely?

Ah the age old conundrum....

Britain would love to get rid because it costs them a fortune to run. Ireland couldn't afford to take it on (possibly could with EU aid).

Most in the south don't really give a shite about the North. Likewise, most in the UK don't give a shite about the North.

The only ones who really care are the hardliners on both sides.

It's kind of funny that the DUP and their kind want to cling on so passionately to a country that doesn't give a fuck about them unless it suits them. The Unionist and Loyalist way of thinking is slowly dying so it will inevitably happen over the next 2/3 generations.

15 minutes ago, deiseach said:

I care...

You're not one of the 'most' then.

In my experience 'most' in the south would 'like' the idea of a United Ireland but when you press them further they are not bothered either way and couldn't care less if it happened or not. Personally, I would love to see it. Done peacefully of course.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

But Corbyn is still straight up wrong when he says Brexit cannot be stopped.

This is true. It's factually incorrect and (in my opinion) politically ill-advised to use a phrase like that.

That's not to say he should come out and say "we will stop Brexit ". Ironically, there would be nothing more certain of handing untramelled power to the racist and fundamentalist neoliberal wing of the Tory Party than for Labour to come out as full Remainers right now. 

He's walking a difficult tightrope - and that "not possible" line was a wobble.

• Upvote 1

My in-laws live in Northern Ireland, they wouldn't want to be joined with the South mainly I reckon for practical reasons. Lots of public sector jobs, free water and prescriptions.

Down south they don't have the NHS to the point where people go to their pharmacist the way we go to a GP,  and half the under 25s have fucked off to Canada looking for jobs.

Like with Scotland, I'd genuinely be interested to see how long it would take the novelty to wear off once free bridges and educations in a country of less than six million weren't being subsidised by 50 million.

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

My in-laws live in Northern Ireland, they wouldn't want to be joined with the South mainly I reckon for practical reasons. Lots of public sector jobs, free water and prescriptions.

Down south they don't have the NHS to the point where people go to their pharmacist the way we go to a GP,  and half the under 25s have fucked off to Canada looking for jobs.

Like with Scotland, I'd genuinely be interested to see how long it would take the novelty to wear off once free bridges and educations in a country of less than six million weren't being subsidised by 50 million.

I'm not quite sure it's as simple as all that, why were the powers that be in Westminster so eager to keep Scotland in the Union in 2014 if we cost them so much money?

Plenty of other smaller countries manage fine without England Morris Dancing in to save the day.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm not quite sure it's as simple as all that, why were the powers that be in Westminster so eager to keep Scotland in the Union in 2014 if we cost them so much money?

Plenty of other smaller countries manage fine without England Morris Dancing in to save the day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being an imperialist cunt here and lord knows I can't be doing with Tories, but it's just a simple fact of economics that the smaller countries in the UK are heavily subsidised by England. 

I can't think of another country Scotland's size with free healthcare and free higher education. Delve deeper and there's probably a lot of public sector jobs in the mix too. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being an imperialist cunt here and lord knows I can't be doing with Tories, but it's just a simple fact of economics that the smaller countries in the UK are heavily subsidised by England. 

I can't think of another country Scotland's size with free healthcare and free higher education. Delve deeper and there's probably a lot of public sector jobs in the mix too. 

Is it?

I don't think it's as definitive as that when you start looking at North Sea Oil & Faslane amongst other things, those English MPs weren't campaigning to keep Scotland in the Union in order that they could pay for the free higher education, put it that way.

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

A mate of mine lives in Denmark. Have you seen the tax and general price of stuff there?

I’m not making a point, BTW. Just saying a thing. 

I think I read that stuff is about 1.5 times the cost as it is in the rest of the EU.

Something for us to get used to after Brexit.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog said:

I think I read that stuff is about 1.5 times the cost as it is in the rest of the EU.

Something for us to get used to after Brexit.

Certainly looks like we will find out. It’s quite hard to predict. It will all depend on our relationship with Europe afterwards. 

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Denmark springs instantly to mind, but there must be more.

There are 12 countries in the EU about the size of Scotland or smaller and I think most of them have some form of universal health care and higher education without significant student fees.

I really hate that phrase "the people have voted" that the politicians keep saying whenever the talk is about the EU and Brexit. The people had no fucking idea what they were voting for because apart from a few wishy-washy ideas and a mountain of bullshit, there was absolutely nothing in place as to how things could move forward and what might happen.