You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Typical Brexit gobshite....

An aristocrat has appeared in court charged with writing menacing Facebook posts about the Brexit campaigner Gina Miller and a Cameroonian man.

Rhodri Philipps, the 4th Viscount St Davids, wore a tweed gilet over a navy suit as he appeared at Westminster magistrates court and refused to stand in the dock when addressed as Mr St Davids, only rising when addressed as Lord St Davids.

Philipps pleaded not guilty to three charges of sending malicious communications under section 127 of the Communications Act 2003.

Advertisement

One of the charges related to a Facebook post written on 7 November last year about Miller, who successfully challenged the government over its plan to give notice to leave the EU without an act of parliament. Philipps allegedly wrote: “£5,000 to the first person to ‘accidentally’ run over this bloody troublesome first-generation immigrant … If this is what we should expect from immigrants, send them back to their stinking jungles.”

The prosecutor, Kate Mulholland, said the crown would seek enhanced sentences because the posts were racially aggravated.

Philipps spoke to confirm his name, date of birth and address and to plead not guilty. He laughed and mouthed “wanker” when deputy senior district judge Tan Ikram prohibited him from contacting Matthew Steeples, who first reported the post to police, as a condition of granting him bail. He is also prevented from contacting Miller.

The trial will be held at Westminster magistrates court on 10 July and is expected to last a day.

Sounds an ideal replacement for David Davis . Strong and stable does it,

Typical Brexit gobshite....

An aristocrat has appeared in court charged with writing menacing Facebook posts about the Brexit campaigner Gina Miller and a Cameroonian man.

Rhodri Philipps, the 4th Viscount St Davids, wore a tweed gilet over a navy suit as he appeared at Westminster magistrates court and refused to stand in the dock when addressed as Mr St Davids, only rising when addressed as Lord St Davids.

Philipps pleaded not guilty to three charges of sending malicious communications under section 127 of the Communications Act 2003.

Advertisement

One of the charges related to a Facebook post written on 7 November last year about Miller, who successfully challenged the government over its plan to give notice to leave the EU without an act of parliament. Philipps allegedly wrote: “£5,000 to the first person to ‘accidentally’ run over this bloody troublesome first-generation immigrant … If this is what we should expect from immigrants, send them back to their stinking jungles.”

The prosecutor, Kate Mulholland, said the crown would seek enhanced sentences because the posts were racially aggravated.

Philipps spoke to confirm his name, date of birth and address and to plead not guilty. He laughed and mouthed “wanker” when deputy senior district judge Tan Ikram prohibited him from contacting Matthew Steeples, who first reported the post to police, as a condition of granting him bail. He is also prevented from contacting Miller.

The trial will be held at Westminster magistrates court on 10 July and is expected to last a day.

is this enough to get a prison term? i would fucking love that, even if it was for just a week. 

Guest Pistonbroke

is this enough to get a prison term? i would fucking love that, even if it was for just a week. 

The Government said they were going to crack down on this, so expect the respected Viscount to receive a stern telling off and a community order to teach unfortunates how to taste Wine properly. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Makes him seem like a bit of a quim. 

The fact he thinks immigrants come from Jungles says it all, he'd get ripped to bits in a real conversation the racist fucking prick. 

The fact he thinks immigrants come from Jungles says it all, he'd get ripped to bits in a real conversation the racist fucking prick.

The bloke is a fucking dickhead, but jail? Far be it from me to point out people saying they'd burn, hang, shoot people who have different political views seem to have committed the same 'offence'

The bloke is a fucking dickhead, but jail? Far be it from me to point out people saying they'd burn, hang, shoot people who have different political views seem to have committed the same 'offence'

Is there nothing you won't stick up for?

Yeah, cos everybody knows who Rico1304 or Hades or Jimmycase is. And making statements about internet usernames or broad, sweeping statements on an anonymous forum is identical to verbally encouraging somebody to run over a named, visibly identifiable person...

Duh!

Yeah, cos everybody knows who Rico1304 or Hades or Jimmycase is. And making statements about internet usernames or broad, sweeping statements on an anonymous forum is identical to verbally encouraging somebody to run over a named, visibly identifiable person...

Duh!

Hold on, if the court thought he was actually encouraging someone to run him over the charge would have been completely different - Anubis can you confirm?

As it is it seems to be the 'internet exaggeration' that was explained to me this week.

The bloke is a fucking wanker, that's self evident. But being jailed for saying nasty things on the internet? Fuck me.

Yes, if it was a genuine attempt to encourage/incite the commission of a criminal offence, then the charge would likely be under the Serious Crime Act 2007.

He's not been jailed yet. And it's not for saying nasty things on the internet. It's for saying "grossly offensive" things online. There's an actual and legalistic distinction. And the case law has what I'll now call the "Rico snowflake" caveat, where the intention of the sender of the malicious communication is paramount and a high threshold set. If, like the setting fire to Tories posts on here, it's clear that the person making the statement is doing so in jest, no matter how distasteful the statement is, then the law will be loathe to intervene. But, if the person intends their comment to be offensive, which it could be argued that the bloke in question here did, then the law gets involved.

Yes, if it was a genuine attempt to encourage/incite the commission of a criminal offence, then the charge would likely be under the Serious Crime Act 2007.

He's not been jailed yet. And it's not for saying nasty things on the internet. It's for saying "grossly offensive" things online. There's an actual and legalistic distinction. And the case law has what I'll now call the "Rico snowflake" caveat, where the intention of the sender of the malicious communication is paramount and a high threshold set. If, like the setting fire to Tories posts on here, it's clear that the person making the statement is doing so in jest, no matter how distasteful the statement is, then the law will be loathe to intervene. But, if the person intends their comment to be offensive, which it could be argued that the bloke in question here did, then the law gets involved.

I'm the snowflake because I don't think being offensive should be criminal? Jesus Christ.

Frankie Boyle come in, your time is up.

I'm the snowflake because I don't think being offensive should be criminal? Jesus Christ.

Frankie Boyle come in, your time is up.

I meant that your comparing of divvies in here taking the piss about setting fire to Torys to conduct which is a criminal offence is a bit snowflakey.

Particularly as the law requires a "grossly offensive" communication.

Awwwww. Do you find the TLW "banter" grossly offensive? Bless your little cotton socks.

I meant that your comparing of divvies in here taking the piss about setting fire to Torys to conduct which is a criminal offence is a bit snowflakey.

Particularly as the law requires a "grossly offensive" communication.

Awwwww. Do you find the TLW "banter" grossly offensive? Bless your little cotton socks.

(Sigh)

No, I'm saying the 'grossly offensive' is bollocks. I love that you've acknowledged that people on here are divvies- hopefully they won't find it offensive

Grossly offensive - ha ha ha ha. I'm the snowflake?? Pathetic.

You dumb.

Guest Pistonbroke

Dead easy to wind you up. Love it. Ha ha ha ha.

Just stick him on ignore mate, it seems to wind the cretin up more than anything else, which is kind of ironic considering he openly admits to being a WUM. 

Just stick him on ignore mate, it seems to wind the cretin up more than anything else, which is kind of ironic considering he openly admits to being a WUM.

Wind me up? I told you to do it! Then you take me off and send me a PM. I notice you visited my profile recently - no idea how if I'm on ignore...

Isn't he alleged to have offered money for having her run over in his tweets? I'm not sure if freedom of speech should cover that.

Covered on the other page, if the courts thought he meant that he'd have been charged with something else. He's been charged with being offensive which I think is bollocks.