You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

They weren't going to leave the EU. It was also a time when those excesses of the thatcher government could have been reversed and we could have actually been a world leader in technology and skilled trades,but alas the turkeys did what they always do and the rest is history. I unequivocally trust the Germans,the Danes,the Dutch,the French to do more for the UK population than any UK government ever will,even by default. The UK has become the Taiwan of Europe and will continue to be the shithole of europe. It's great being the USAs bitches.

I'm afraid you are wrong, here's the labour manifesto 1983,

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/man/lab83.htm#Common

• Upvote 1

The article in the mail about the pound soaring is annoying as fuck. The most blatant piece of agenda pushing bollocks you could wish too see. A perfect example of propaganda something edited to fool the masses. The mail should not be allowed to call itself a news outlet it must be renamed as propaganda press as it doesn't seek to inform just hoodwink. It's a fucking cancer to the psyche of the nation.

Merkel rejects our request to have parallel trade talks. Less than 4 hours that took.

Did our heroic negotiators not read the EU's leaked response this morning? They may have saved themselves the trouble of asking.

The article in the mail about the pound soaring is annoying as fuck. The most blatant piece of agenda pushing bollocks you could wish too see. A perfect example of propaganda something edited to fool the masses. The mail should not be allowed to call itself a news outlet it must be renamed as propaganda press as it doesn't seek to inform just hoodwink. It's a fucking cancer to the psyche of the nation.

Is right lad!

Fixed term Act requires 60% of all MPs to vote for it to take place. No chance any of the opposition would turn up to push it through.

As i said if she needs mandate because Brexit is stalled then I have no doubt she will engineer a dissolution . Assuming Labour are still in disarray of course. She could ask Parliament to vote for it ( effectively a no confidence vote) or last resort repeal or suspend the Bill 

We're gonna get bummed to death in these negotiations. We will be Stuart Lubbock to the EU's Barrymore.

Of course we will ad the tories and new labour types won't give shit as they will have isolated any wealth from the up coming shitstorm. But dont worry if we all tighten our belts and eith a stuff upper lip our blitz spirit will see us through.

Merkel rejects our request to have parallel trade talks. Less than 4 hours that took.

In hospital today and ordered roast beef with gingerbread pudding and warm custard for afters, as a Brexit celebration-themed lunch.

Then punched the Indian girl bringing me a cup of tea and said I was taking back control of getting my OWN hot drinks from Costa, and I'd be deciding how much I wanted it to cost.

Just been upgraded to a lovely padded room. They know who's boss.

• Upvote 2

Ive got a blue passport. All I did was buy a blue cover that cost about £1. This fuckin country is becoming more like the US every day. No wonder the rest of europe cant wait to get rid of us.

All the Spanish nurses at my local hospital saying they are off home. The NHS will collapse if the start loosing foreign nurses and HCAs. Its probably the plan to be honest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31135809

The former head of nurses Dr peter carter says the solution is simple, instead of paying through the nose on agency nurses we could train our own.

However that brings problems for a right wing government, nurses are powerful, they strike and governments fall so why empower people?

We could train our own

Well we could if we had not just cut all bursaries for nursing. Noway my sister would have managed without it as you cannot work around that course as you are often full time in the hospital training.

They have removed the bursary Nurses get whilst training and are replacing it with Student loans. They will now be subject to completing their training with a nice £27K debt.

I'm sure that will really help entice a future generation into the profession.

• Upvote 1

We could train our own

Well we could if we had not just cut all bursaries for nursing. Noway my sister would have managed without it as you cannot work around that course as you are often full time in the hospital training.

Same here mate, my two Sisters and Mum are nurses but they would not have done it without a bursary.

Comedy gold on C4

Brexit special from Hull . The European Capital of culture, the trade gateway to Europe and whose residents voted 2-1 for leave,

The fucking idiots are still "hopeful" of a better future and looking  forward to seeing Britain "stepping back onto the world stage" 

A few now are apprehensive.  So would I fucking be as the vision of queues for for foodbanks stretching into the distance and tumbleweed blowing through the City center starts to become reality. Never mind you loons those nice honest Tories will look after you .

Some of us remember Liverpool in the eighties when the Tories fucked us over, At least this time we are now a tourist town. No fucker will be visiting Hull out of choice,. 

• Upvote 1

Although I think going out of the EU will be a disaster, that's more down to the fact I think the people 'organising' it are imbeciles, rather than the fact I think the EU is something amazing. If we had the right people in charge, we could have stayed in the single market and had a relationship similar to what, say, Norway has, and they seem to get by pretty fine. Unlike Norway though, we don't have a country or political system comprised of grown ups.

I still don't agree with the characterisation of people who voted for Brexit as morons  though, in fact that's what pushed many of them in this direction in the first place, the idea that if you were internationally minded and liberal on things like immigration you were erudite or cultured, and that if you weren't you were some sort of knuckle-dragger. 

These people had nothing to lose and still don't, staying in the European Union or not isn't going to make any difference at all to a place like Hull, in many ways that was kind of the point. The people at the top cream off the benefits of pretty much anything. If God came down and gave Britain two trillion dollars tomorrow, would a single penny of it end up being used to treat homelessness or solve the crisis in the NHS? Of course not, it'd end up in someone's Swiss bank account. 

The EU (or EC as was) was a huge boon to poorer areas of the UK, latterly Liverpool, Yorkshire and Cornwall I think it was, but after that most of that money was pulled and sent to develop Eastern Europe (and rightly so). 

Most of the other concerns being levied seem to be from academics and the like who're worried about losing grant money, and they're right, but like the human rights and working rights concerns which are also rightly raised, that's not saying you value the EU to add something 'on top' of what you already have, you value it because you don't trust your own government to do the right thing - whether that be providing funding to higher education and scientific research, social programmes, or not repealing worker's rights. 

Surely if you're in that situation - then the real battle isn't to stay in the EU, the real battle is to get rid of the class of people that make you need the EU in the first place. Instead of crying the blues on Twitter about little Britain and all that spiel, they should be rallying support against the blue bloods, the neocons and the rest of the Tory cunts. 

But, I'd hang fire on whether or not we'll miss being in the EU anyway, Greece is due another bailout soon, French and German elections are due - it's not exactly firing on all thrusters. 

• Upvote 1

Although I think going out of the EU will be a disaster, that's more down to the fact I think the people 'organising' it are imbeciles, rather than the fact I think the EU is something amazing. If we had the right people in charge, we could have stayed in the single market and had a relationship similar to what, say, Norway has, and they seem to get by pretty fine. Unlike Norway though, we don't have a country or political system comprised of grown ups.

I still don't agree with the characterisation of people who voted for Brexit as morons though, in fact that's what pushed many of them in this direction in the first place, the idea that if you were internationally minded and liberal on things like immigration you were erudite or cultured, and that if you weren't you were some sort of knuckle-dragger.

These people had nothing to lose and still don't, staying in the European Union or not isn't going to make any difference at all to a place like Hull, in many ways that was kind of the point. The people at the top cream off the benefits of pretty much anything. If God came down and gave Britain two trillion dollars tomorrow, would a single penny of it end up being used to treat homelessness or solve the crisis in the NHS? Of course not, it'd end up in someone's Swiss bank account.

The EU (or EC as was) was a huge boon to poorer areas of the UK, latterly Liverpool, Yorkshire and Cornwall I think it was, but after that most of that money was pulled and sent to develop Eastern Europe (and rightly so).

Most of the other concerns being levied seem to be from academics and the like who're worried about losing grant money, and they're right, but like the human rights and working rights concerns which are also rightly raised, that's not saying you value the EU to add something 'on top' of what you already have, you value it because you don't trust your own government to do the right thing - whether that be providing funding to higher education and scientific research, social programmes, or not repealing worker's rights.

Surely if you're in that situation - then the real battle isn't to stay in the EU, the real battle is to get rid of the class of people that make you need the EU in the first place. Instead of crying the blues on Twitter about little Britain and all that spiel, they should be rallying support against the blue bloods, the neocons and the rest of the Tory cunts.

But, I'd hang fire on whether or not we'll miss being in the EU anyway, Greece is due another bailout soon, French and German elections are due - it's not exactly firing on all thrusters.

. The Noggies are minted and have well invested sovereign fund which I recall has some very ethical investment choices. Where theIK sovereign is minted, and there looks to be a regressive move towards more victorian era state policies.

. The Noggies are minted and have well invested sovereign fund which I recall has some very ethical investment choices. Where theIK sovereign is minted, and there looks to be a regressive move towards more victorian era state policies.

That's my point though, the Norwegians get oil money and they funnel it into everyone's coffers, we get oil money and it ends up in the Cayman Islands. 

We're the sixth biggest economy in world but we have foodbanks all over the shop. The issue isn't free market trade and all the rest of it, the issue is that what we DO have, doesn't get spent on us anyway. 

I still don't agree with the characterisation of people who voted for Brexit as morons  though, in fact that's what pushed many of them in this direction in the first place, the idea that if you were internationally minded and liberal on things like immigration you were erudite or cultured, and that if you weren't you were some sort of knuckle-dragger. 

What you say is largely true and I have never made a case for the EU being some sort of Nirvana. It is deeply flawed for the reasons you state and many more to boot, To me the decision to remain was entirely the pragmatic choice although the ideals of free movement and open borders were and still are worth fighting for, Where I do take issue with you is that people have nothing to lose, The vast majority do and voting to allow the Tories free reign to re-shape our economy will hurt the vast majority in so many different ways . It won't just be the jobs that go and whole industries downsizing ,it's the collapse of public services . Our Universities will be starved of cash, Arts funding will evaporate. The list of casualties is horrendous, Perhaps most damning is the opportunities that will be denied our children, those of which eligible to vote did so overwhelmingly in favour of Remain and their futures have been stolen largely by the older generation many of whom are homeowners and have decent pensions As for Leavers being characterised as retards then I can;t deny that along will many others I am guilty but when all the events that will follow from this madness were forecasted by people that were far better equipped to influence opinion than opportunistic politicians then I don't feel like apologising .

As for the shite Greece is enduring mainly as a result of Germany rigging the system to get the poorer countries signed up to the single currency should be reason to throw in the towel I disagree , If the Eurozone collapses we will be in the shit irrespective of whether we are in or out of the EU  . Better to be in and finding solutions . Also the splintering of the EU that Brexit risks plays right into the hands of Putin. A;ready Russian military activity in the Ukraine is on the increase.   

You know all this I'm sure , I would love a better, fairer society across the EU but that's not going to happen by throwing the EU out of the

window without anything remotely better on offer, It's a disaster to leave not because its great but because the alternative is worth no more than a big slogan plastered across the side of a fuck off bus 

• Upvote 1