You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Tony Blair, the hero Britain doesn't deserve, but the one it needs right now.

For once, he is dead right.

Say's the man who ignored most of the Country and over a million people who rose up to march against a war where truths weren't properly told.

I agree someone should be flagging up what a colossal cluster fuck up this is , but I'm afraid him being the one calling this out is going to do more harm than good.

Blair Is Hopelessly Wrong On Brexit

The ex-leader's call for Remainers to try to overturn Brexit shows very poor judgement.

A small clique of elite politicians, businessmen and commentators will stop a nothing to thwart the democratic will of the British people. They cannot accept the notion that the public voted by majority to leave the European Union. Their sheer arrogance is extraordinary and their patronizing utterances that we the people were misinformed is contemptible.

Today, former Prime Minister Tony Blair, arguably Labour’s most successful Leader joined this merry band of Euro-fanatics. Tony Blair announced that it was his mission to convince the British people of the error of their ways and to get them to change their mind. Blair see’s himself as a Holy Crusader coming down from the mountain to save his people from their own ignorance and stupidity. But, the people have already chosen to save themselves from Brussels.

On June 23rd the British people took an informed decision to leave the European Union. Through the referendum campaign it was made perfectly clear by both leave and remain campaigners that leaving the European Union would also mean leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union. Blair, and his friends seeking to deny the will of the people hold this decision in contempt. For all their remarks on respecting the outcome of the vote, their secret desire is to keep us in the European Union.

Blair suggests in his speech that the Labour Party is facilitating Brexit, and as a result the country will suffer. Such a statement is frankly absurd. 70% of Labour constituencies voted to leave the European Union and therefore it is entirely appropriate that the Labour Party formally supported giving the Prime Minister the power to invoke Article 50. To have voted differently would result in the total collapse of the Labour Party in the north and the midlands at the next election. Blair is prepared to put the European Union before his own party.

New Labour had many great achievements when in government. The minimum wage, Sure Start, peace in Northern Ireland and a host of other achievements are now often forgotten. But the seeds of Brexit were sewn under Blair’s premiership. Globalization and the mass immigration from the European Union into the UK led to compression for those on lower wages and the global banking crash in 2008 left parts of the country ruined. People wanted to take back control of their lives, and they did so on June 23rd.

During the campaign we were told that leaving the European Union while remaining in the Single Market would be the worst of all worlds. In the market but with no say over decisions affecting the market. Remainers now want us to accept this very same position, claiming that the United Kingdom never voted to leave the Single Market. Remainers don’t want the United Kingdom to control its own destiny and live its own dream. They don’t want the awesome responsibility of government and leadership. If they don’t feel they are capable of holding such incredibly duties and leading this nation they should leave and make way for those who can and will.

Like a lot of those who deny the outcome of the vote, Blair claimed that people do not realize the destination this country is heading towards once Article 50 has been invoked. This is condescension of the highest order. People knew exactly what they were voting for. Blair calls for the people to rise up against Brexit but he fails to realize that on June 23rd they did rise up against the establishment in Brussels. It’s time for the Euro-fanatics to accept they lost, get over it and move on.

http://www.labourleave.org.uk/blair_is_hopelessly_wrong_on_brexit

What a load of fucking bollocks.

I found this bit particularly interesting...

Blair suggests in his speech that the Labour Party is facilitating Brexit, and as a result the country will suffer. Such a statement is frankly absurd. 70% of Labour constituencies voted to leave the European Union and therefore it is entirely appropriate that the Labour Party formally supported giving the Prime Minister the power to invoke Article 50.

Blair suggests in his speech that the Labour Party is facilitating Brexit, and as a result the country will suffer. Such a statement is frankly absurd. 70% of Labour constituencies voted to leave the European Union and therefore it is entirely appropriate that the Labour Party formally supported giving the Prime Minister the power to invoke Article 50.

Yet two thirds of Labour Voters voted to remain. Working class Tories and Kippers banding together doesn't make it a Labour vote. You have real trouble in understanding the difference between FPTP and the referendum vote. The left are fully enabling a right wing takeover of the country.
  • Upvote 1

Is that actually true?

Well it's been my theory that these poor, unemployed, racist Northern towns which remainers like to mock for voting leave aren't Tory voters.

I don't think that stat has been plucked out of thin air, the source is a Labour run website.

Around 50% of GE voters didn't vote for Labour in Sunderland.

'70% of Labour constituencies voted to leave the European Union'

Is this the final nail in the coffin for the Vote Leave = Tory myth peddled in here??

Any notion that the In/Out referendum was split cleanly along Tory/Labour lines has always been bollocks.

However it is undeniably true that a greater proportion of Labour voters voted Remain and a greater proportion of Tory voters voted Leave.

'70% of Labour constituencies voted to leave the European Union'

Is this the final nail in the coffin for the Vote Leave = Tory myth peddled in here??

The truth is that the tories created this mess, unfortunately voters of every party fell for the lies and now we're all going to have to live with the consequences.

Personally I don't have an allegiance to any party so am quite happy to admit that there are a large percentage of tory, Labour, Lib Dem, UKIP and SNP voters who are complete and utter spastics.

• Upvote 2

I have discovered a hitherto undiscovered piece of extra loathing for that fat fuck Johnson the last few days.

His fucking little England public school bum boys idealised vision of how we should become great again makes me puke.

The lying shit used the NHS on whic we all rely but he can afford private medicine to buy leave votes and then had the fucking gall to vote down the funding amendment saying it wasn't really a firm promise. He is an immense cunt and I hope he falls under a flash bus

The truth is that the tories created this mess, unfortunately voters of every party fell for the lies and now we're all going to have to live with the consequences.

Personally I don't have an allegiance to any party so am quite happy to admit that there are a large percentage of tory, Labour, Lib Dem, UKIP and SNP voters who are complete and utter spastics.

I doubt you'll find many SNP or LibDem voters who voted Leave.

I've had this same argument at least twice in this thread after someone made out it was a Labour remain/Tory leave.

I take it you came at them with the obvious truth that, although the Leave campaign drew more support from Tory voters, the Tory-supporting newspapers and prominent Labour politicians - and although most Labour voters voted Remain, the "left-ish" Mirror and Guardian and almost all prominent Labour politicians campaigned for Remain - it's facile and inaccurate to claim that the vote was cleanly divided between Labour and Tory.

(I trust you wouldn't be stupid enough to take the opposite view and pretend that Tory = Leave.)

[Edit - That last word is meant to be "Remain".]

I take it you came at them with the obvious truth that, although the Leave campaign drew more support from Tory voters, the Tory-supporting newspapers and prominent Labour politicians - and although most Labour voters voted Remain, the "left-ish" Mirror and Guardian and almost all prominent Labour politicians campaigned for Remain - it's facile and inaccurate to claim that the vote was cleanly divided between Labour and Tory.

(I trust you wouldn't be stupid enough to take the opposite view and pretend that Tory = Leave.)

I think it's only me that's challenged the Tory/Leave Labour/Remain narrative in this thread (someone a few posts back has made a 2/3 of Labour voters voted reamin supposed fact)

What's stopped you from challenging them with the 'obvious truth'

I think it's only me that's challenged the Tory/Leave Labour/Remain narrative in this thread (someone a few posts back has made a 2/3 of Labour voters voted reamin supposed fact)

What's stopped you from challenging them with the 'obvious truth'

About 2/3 of people who voted Labour in the 2015 General Election voted Remain in 2016.  That's from the Ashcroft survey, which is still the best assessment of who voted what.  

I didn't challenge that, because it's correct.

(The bit about "70% of Labour constituencies" is a different statistic altogether.)