You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

I don't think the French would leave the EU. But another fascist leader with the nuclear code is all the world needs right now.

They only narrowly voted to accept Maastrich

I could easily see the loons getting a Leave vote through.

Just buy a big shiny bus and tell lots of lies. Job done 

Is that a bad thing

Youd hope it would lead to them companies actually paying a fair fucking wage with sick benefits rather than minimum wage. The porters in my local hospital are outsourced. Get paid 5p over minimum wage with no sick pay. You'd hope they'd be forced now to pay a fair wage and give them benefits attracting people to the job.(not thst they shouldn't have been doing it before) Its not like the agencirs were not being paid enough by the NHS before

• Upvote 1

Is that a bad thing

Youd hope it would lead to them companies actually paying a fair fucking wage with sick benefits rather than minimum wage. The porters in my local hospital are outsourced. Get paid 5p over minimum wage with no sick pay. You'd hope they'd be forced now to pay a fair wage and give them benefits attracting people to the job.(not thst they shouldn't have been doing it before) Its not like the agencirs were not being paid enough by the NHS before

It shouldn't be a bad thing and with a government who actually gave a shit about its citizens it would be a great thing,but look at recent UK Governments and ask yourself 'Do they actually give a shit about the majority of their citizens?' The answer is quite simply a big fat 'No.'

EU migrants are a net benefit to the economy and have little negative effect on wages.

There a host of studies been done it

The ones leaving will without doubt be mostly skilled people that can easily get jobs elsewhere,

People that stay in general won't or will be receiving some form of welfare

Tax revenues drop, labour shortages appear and the economy shrinks,  There isn't a silver lining,

The way to address low pay in hospital and other public services is to elect a non racist government that looks values them

What is a fair wage for unskilled jobs when studies indicate there's been little or no depression of wages because of immigration? Granted, working conditions for immigrants are shite but for people seeking a better wage I think they could be in for a surprise.

A massive question involving wealth distribution globalisation , popularism , automation and re-skilling

I am certain the answers don't involve Donald, Trump, Theresa May, Nigel Farage or Brexit.if that helps

The path we are on collectively where more and more wealth flows to to the richest and power is concentrated in the hands of a few will eventually test the system to destruction . I will be amazed if we don't see a major conflict in the next 20 years and I don't just mean proxy dust ups in the middle east . This drift towards nationlism and "me first" attitudes is a disaster, The Theresa May doctrine of if you're a citizen of the world you're a citizen of nowhere is becoming accepted as a de facto truth by many not just in our society but across the globe, History repeats and people can't or won't see the warning signs, Nothing good will come of this rise of the right as cooperation and sharing common values is the only way major problems in the world get solved . Sad that each generation seems to have to find that out the hard way and ends up being exploited by greedy cunts offering simple answers to complex problems,  

• Upvote 2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/13/uk-labour-shortages-brexit-as-eu-worker-numbers-fall

Time for all those unemployed, who voted out to take back their jobs, to get on their bikes and start filling these vacancies.

I thought all those that voted out were Tories is what I keep hearing on here.

Never mind, they'll just have to raise the wages.

• Upvote 1

Raising wages invariably increases the risk of two things: rising prices, and a reduction in the number of jobs.

"Invariably"?  That was the argument that was used before the introduction of the Minimum Wage.

The truth (as you know) is a lot more complicated than trite Tory platitudes.

What I have written is a fact, and facts have no political bias.

Raising wages does not "invariably" increase the risk of a reduction in the number of jobs.  In some circumstances, it will protect jobs, because workers are also consumers.  In the early days of the Ford Motor Company, Henry Ford wouldn't have sold anything like the number of cars he did if he'd paid his workers the low wages prevalent at the time.

What you have written is not a fact.  The people who claim it is are those with a right-wing political bias.

Any of the EU fanclub in here know how long Juncker had left in his job as EU president? He's leaving apparently, prety disastrous reign for him maybe he's going before he's pushed although I'm unsure how these things work within the EU.

I'm sure the experts in here will Google I mean clue me in...

• Upvote 1

There will be no rise in wages for unskilled and low skilled jobs. You either take them as they are or they'll likely disappear as we enter the 'global' market. There was an appreciation and a level of protection under the EU but we're now looking to compete with countries paying tuppence halfpenny a day to their fruit pickers. You don't do that by paying a fair wage.