You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

From this; official government memo,

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/britain-to-enter-recession-with-500000-uk-jobs-lost-if-it-left-eu-new-treasury-analysis-shows

To this,

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-unemployment-falls-lowest-since-1974-2022-05-17/

The above is in no way related to Government competence. Now let's see our Union leaders and politicians throw down the gauntlet and demand above inflation wage rises for workers and impress how important peoples abour is to the economy, without it the country is fucked. Glad to be out of the glorified slave labour market.

Yeah... because unions have the power to do that.

The whole point of leaving the EU was to further reduce workers' rights below the legal minimum levels in the EU.

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

From this; official government memo,

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/britain-to-enter-recession-with-500000-uk-jobs-lost-if-it-left-eu-new-treasury-analysis-shows

To this,

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-unemployment-falls-lowest-since-1974-2022-05-17/

The above is in no way related to Government competence. Now let's see our Union leaders and politicians throw down the gauntlet and demand above inflation wage rises for workers and impress how important peoples abour is to the economy, without it the country is fucked. Glad to be out of the glorified slave labour market.

"Pay including bonuses up by 7%"

It's a reassuring, Tory-friendly spin, but most people's pay doesn't include bonuses. Most workers are getting real-terms pay-cuts.

Screenshot_2022-05-19-13-49-26-87_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

"Pay including bonuses up by 7%"

It's a reassuring, Tory-friendly spin, but most people's pay doesn't include bonuses. Most workers are getting real-terms pay-cuts.

Screenshot_2022-05-19-13-49-26-87_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Agree Angry. With unemployment so low and vacancies so high its time for trade unions and left wing politicians to show some mettle. Stop harping on about Brexit and start putting the worth of low paid and key workers to the country. Fuck Sunak the country demands an above inflation pay rise now. 

On 19/05/2022 at 17:37, Gnasher said:

Agree Angry. With unemployment so low and vacancies so high its time for trade unions and left wing politicians to show some mettle. Stop harping on about Brexit and start putting the worth of low paid and key workers to the country. Fuck Sunak the country demands an above inflation pay rise now. 

The only reason the % figure of unemployed has reduced is the fact the job market has contracted.  There are 500k fewer people in work now than in 2019.  

I think this is the thread for this; fucking Dutch award-winning journalist, coming over here (when she was 10) and stealing jobs from the likes of Laura Kuenssberg and Nick Robinson.

She's been fighting for the right to live and work in her own home country for over a year.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-settlement-scheme-deportation_uk_606f358cc5b694821266e83c

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think this is the thread for this; fucking Dutch award-winning journalist, coming over here (when she was 10) and stealing jobs from the likes of Laura Kuenssberg and Nick Robinson.

She's been fighting for the right to live and work in her own home country for over a year.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-settlement-scheme-deportation_uk_606f358cc5b694821266e83c

That's appalling.

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Yay....brexit.....?

1. Fuck the environment

2. Fuck the environment

3. Make healthcare less safe (but more profitable for big pharmaceutical companies)

4. Make driving less safe 

5. What?

6. Make healthcare less safe (but more profitable for the private companies the Tories are bringing into the NHS)

7. Strip workers' rights 

8. I don't understand this, but it smells like stropping workers' rights again

9. Make workplaces less safe.

IMG_20220531_115311.jpg

IMG_20220531_115245.jpg

Of the 2,000 ideas how many do you reckon we couldn't do because of the EU.

My blind guess would be anything that strips workers/peoples rights/safety we probably couldn't do while in the EU while all the flowery shit about vacuum cleaners and scooters we could have done regardless but is being dressed up as a brexit benefit. 

18 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Of the 2,000 ideas how many do you reckon we couldn't do because of the EU.

My blind guess would be anything that strips workers/peoples rights/safety we probably couldn't do while in the EU while all the flowery shit about vacuum cleaners and scooters we could have done regardless but is being dressed up as a brexit benefit. 

It's almost as though Brexit was all about stripping workers rights/ scrapping safety laws so we could all be exploited more by cunts. Can't believe no one brought that up.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

It's almost as though Brexit was all about stripping workers rights/ scrapping safety laws so we could all be exploited more by cunts. Can't believe no one brought that up.

Short term crisis wages have gone up as the workforce shrinks in certain sectors though so there's that.....

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Short term crisis wages have gone up as the workforce shrinks in certain sectors though so there's that.....

Yeah, sure I read somewhere that a carpenter on £35K was getting more money. Makes it all worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, sure I read somewhere that a carpenter on £35K was getting more money. Makes it all worthwhile. 

You read right, and not just in construction. I wonder what causes the upset about low and low to middle paid manual workers getting pay rises that so annoys certain people?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/wetherspoons-brexit-government-vat-europe-b958592.html

Arrived in Malta on holiday last Friday, stood in the long "All Passports" queue. Mrs RiB ( who voted for Brexit) pointed to the very small "EU Passports" queue and said to me ( who voted remain) " why can't we go in that queue?". I just said "because we aren't in the EU anymore". And left it at that.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You read right, and not just in construction. I wonder what causes the upset about low and low to middle paid manual workers getting pay rises that so annoys certain people?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/wetherspoons-brexit-government-vat-europe-b958592.html

It doesn't upset anyone. It's just a pity the extra wage isn't worth much at all and looks like it could get worse because of Brexit and Brexiteers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-30/sterling-risks-existential-crisis-with-em-parallels-bofa-says

4 minutes ago, skend04 said:

It doesn't upset anyone. It's just a pity the extra wage isn't worth much at all and looks like it could get worse because of Brexit and Brexiteers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-30/sterling-risks-existential-crisis-with-em-parallels-bofa-says

A bad government making bad deals. We are not the only country outside the EU.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Please stop banging this broken drum; I've lost count of the number of times I've corrected this horseshit.

22 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You are doing precisely what Cummings/Cain predicted, ie blaming every instance of future bad governance on the prism of Brexit so giving the government a free pass for their incompetence.

The Tories are hell-bent on making things bad for working class people to a far greater degree than an EU Member State would be allowed to do; we're absolutely right to blame that on Brexit.

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The Tories are hell-bent on making things bad for working class people to a far greater degree than an EU Member State would be allowed to do; we're absolutely right to blame that on Brexit.

An EU member state allows situations like the workers on that P&0 ferry to be sacked and replaced. The EU are not on the side of workers they are not the bastions of workers rights. The fact the EU have spent decades pushing a policy of privatisation tells its own story.

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

An EU member state allows situations like the workers on that P&0 ferry to be sacked and replaced. The EU are not on the side of workers they are not the bastions of workers rights. The fact the EU have spent decades pushing a policy of privatisation tells its own story.

*sigh* 

You're correct - the EU is not that thing that literally nobody claims it is.

There are many ways in which the EU is bad; the Brexity regime is worse in every single one of those ways. Brexit took us from bad to worse.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

*sigh* 

You're correct - the EU is not that thing that literally nobody claims it is.

There are many ways in which the EU is bad; the Brexity regime is worse in every single one of those ways. Brexit took us from bad to worse.

Brexit takes us where our government steers us. You blame the horse if it fucks off in the wrong direction, i blame the jockey.