You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

William Golding could well have done his research for his novels reading this thread. 

Its bizarre, the facts/data are all their to be seen, even one of the chief protagonists of the EU dream has broken ranks but still some doggedly protect the EU dream of a low wage/high employment  profit manifesto from the billionaires (and make no mistake that's what they are, one and all) of Europe spouted by Vonn de Leyen and chums. 

Even Mr fucking EU Micheal Barnier admitted the whole EU shitshow was nothing more than a  cheap slave labour scam. 

I'm sorry, but get a fucking grip.

Exports to the EU are now above pre Brexit levels according to the ONS. 

• Exports of goods to the EU, excluding precious metals, were above pre-EU exit levels in May and June 2021; rising £1.2 billion (9.1%) to £14.1 billion in May 2021, followed by a further £0.2 billion (1.2%) to £14.3 billion in June 2021.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

• Exports of goods to the EU, excluding precious metals, were above pre-EU exit levels in May and June 2021; rising £1.2 billion (9.1%) to £14.1 billion in May 2021, followed by a further £0.2 billion (1.2%) to £14.3 billion in June 2021.

image.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/10/uk-trade-with-eu-falls-as-brexit-and-covid-drive-down-exports

Oh look, here's the latest figures from the ONS. They look a little less rosy I'd say.

16 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/10/uk-trade-with-eu-falls-as-brexit-and-covid-drive-down-exports

Oh look, here's the latest figures from the ONS. They look a little less rosy I'd say.

If you just believe really fucking hard and ignore what the vast, vast majority of people who know their onions are saying you could almost make a claim of the sunlit uplands being on the horizon...

'The British Chambers of Commerce’s head of trade policy, William Bain, said: “Overall, the figures remain concerning. Taken in conjunction with German trade data from earlier this week, the UK is clearly doing less trade with the EU than three years ago. SMEs and other businesses will want to see steps being taken by the UK government and the EU to help improve this situation in the coming months.”

Date issued by the German federal statistics office put the UK on course to fall out of the country’s top 10 trading partners for the first time in 70 years, with exports from the UK dropping

11% to €16.1bn (£13.8bn) in the first half of 2021.

“The UK’s loss of importance in foreign trade is the logical consequence of Brexit. These are probably lasting effects,” said Gabriel Felbermayr, the president of the Kiel-based Institute for the World Economy .

'Ana Boata, the head of macroeconomic research at the trade credit insurer Euler Hermes, said: “UK exporters are losing their competitive advantage.”

She also cited the decline in financial services, which were not covered by the Brexit trade deal, as a contributing factor.

“Since its peak in 2017, financial services – the UK’s biggest exporting sector – has steadily lost its market share.

“The UK is the only one of the 10 biggest countries to see this happen, with Brexit exacerbating the decline.”'

Finance was the weight bearing stone in this shitshow and they got slapped down and outmaneuvered and now don't know where to put their eggs as this was it, this was the wheeze on which all else rested.

Stupid, stupid cunts.

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

image.jpeg

Where is that from?

22 minutes ago, No2 said:

Where is that from?

From here https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/june2021

Which also contains a lot more info which washes away the blanket optimism...

In effect everying is costing more hence the 'world beating' prices, we are exporting less but at a greater expense, including lots of cars which are done at certain points of the year.

But, a win is a win, I assume.

This is a genuine question, if the EU said tomorrow we will cancel Brexit and you can rejoin provided that the UK

Restore free movement of labour (with the knock on effect on wages)

Restore tariffs/taxes on non EU imports (including food)

Restore the CAP (with payments to millionaire farmers)

How many of the UK would actually say yes ? 

25 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

This is a genuine question, if the EU said tomorrow we will cancel Brexit and you can rejoin provided that the UK

52% of the people that voted have been called thick cunts pretty much every day since they voted. Now they are thick cunts but that doesn't change the fact most people don't like being told they're thick cunts. They tend to dig their heels in and believe stories that back up their decision. So in short, the result would be close to an even spilt again.

34 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Leading to…petrol on the forecourts food on the shelves, no more roaming charges on your cheaper holiday and a boost to the £.  Depends on the messaging doesn’t it. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Leading to…petrol on the forecourts food on the shelves, no more roaming charges on your cheaper holiday and a boost to the £.  Depends on the messaging doesn’t it. 

Well the petrol shortage was purely a short term psychological phenomenon and seems to be over and I think brexit related food shortages have been massively exaggerated by the media but you’re right about roaming charges. That’s probably not going to tip the vote though, cheaper roaming charges for 2 weeks in Magaluff.   

13 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Well the petrol shortage was purely a short term psychological phenomenon and seems to be over and I think brexit related food shortages have been massively exaggerated by the media but you’re right about roaming charges. That’s probably not going to tip the vote though, cheaper roaming charges for 2 weeks in Magaluff.   

It wasn’t a psychological problem at all that’s just nonsense.  It was an entirely predictable problem mismanaged and mishandled by an incompetent government who were then unable to react due to the lack of drivers caused by Brexit.  

I guess you could add farmers, fishermen and everyone else lied to.  With those people on the ‘join’ campaign I reckon it’d be easy to get to 52%. 

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

It wasn’t a psychological problem at all that’s just nonsense.  It was an entirely predictable problem mismanaged and mishandled by an incompetent government who were then unable to react due to the lack of drivers caused by Brexit.  

I guess you could add farmers, fishermen and everyone else lied to.  With those people on the ‘join’ campaign I reckon it’d be easy to get to 52%. 

Well I disagree. There was no fundamental shortage of fuel, just a disruption in the supply chain to a small % of forecourts. The media picked up on this, the public panicked and rushed to fill 1/2 empty tanks and  hence the problems. If everyone had behaved normally there wouldn’t have been a shortage which is why it has largely finished. We’ve been here before with toilet rolls, pasta and if you are as old as me you may remember sugar in the 1970s. Media induced panic buying causing shortages and hence more panic is a real phenomenon. 

10 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Well I disagree. There was no fundamental shortage of fuel, just a disruption in the supply chain to a small % of forecourts. The media picked up on this, the public panicked and rushed to fill 1/2 empty tanks and  hence the problems. If everyone had behaved normally there wouldn’t have been a shortage which is why it has largely finished. We’ve been here before with toilet rolls, pasta and if you are as old as me you may remember sugar in the 1970s. Media induced panic buying causing shortages and hence more panic is a real phenomenon. 

There is no fundamental shortage of water, the world is covered in the stuff.  But if you are in the middle of the desert it being in the wrong location has impacts. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

There is no fundamental shortage of water, the world is covered in the stuff.  But if you are in the middle of the desert it being in the wrong location has impacts. 

I don’t think that works as an analogy. There wasn’t a systematic shortage of fuel, there was an a symptomatic short term surge in demand caused by hysterical media headlines. Once people filled their tanks, the unusual surge in demand subsidised and supply/demand rebalanced. In your desert analogy, the supply/demand imbalance persists indefinitely whereas this lasted for days. 

4 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

You're missing the fact that unlike last time Britain's two major political party's are now both pro Brexit.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Labour aren't I wouldn't think 

Well maybe I should have phrased it better but theirs no way Labour would make the mistake of campaigning for the EU again, they witnessed what happened to Change UK, it'd be the death of the party.

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You're missing the fact that unlike last time Britain's two major political party's are now both pro Brexit.

I genuinely don’t know how you would frame the arguments for rejoining. Trade with the EU now exceeds pre brexit levels, we are out of the mass financial scam of the CAP and wages are rising in a lot of sectors. What are you offering to the electorate as a reason for rejoining the EU - roaming charges ? 

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I genuinely don’t know how you would frame the arguments for rejoining. Trade with the EU now exceeds pre brexit levels, we are out of the mass financial scam of the CAP and wages are rising in a lot of sectors. What are you offering to the electorate as a reason for rejoining the EU - roaming charges ? 

You've changed your avatar but you're still bullshitting. This is embarrassing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Empty shelves are a fact and of anything have been under played the media.

If this was a labour gmnt we wpiod still be hearing about it in 30 years time