You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Apparently we are 3 weeks away from.a total breakdown of the supply train.

Who would have thought a plan devised by boris johnson,nigel Farage, paul nuttall and ann widdecombe would end in tears?

What plan?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Workers in some sectors have had temporary payrises, in response to shortages mainly driven by Covid. Most workers are getting fuck all.

You need to take your head out of the sand Angry.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-hiring-surged-june-economy-reopened-ons-2021-07-15/

The only change in conditions I've seen is an increase in Fire & Rehire and the loosening of Health & Safety regulations designed to protect workers.

The country is still being run by cunts who think that we're shit off their shoes.

Also, upsetting yourself over 2.5% - 3.9% interest rates is bizarre.

As the evidence I've produced shows, the States are doing fine, Germany ditto...both have higher interest rates than us..

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-economy-unemployment-idUSKCN2DD2QC

19 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Not really, you're veiws on inflation are economically very right wing....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/28/business/economy/inflation-republicans-biden-spending.html

Ted Cruz " economy may be booming but what about inflation Mr President"

Joe Biden " I've yet to meet a man worried about inflation"

Angry of T.... 'hold my beer Ted'

https://apnews.com/article/consumer-spending-gross-domestic-product-economy-business-ea9f24b146848b0821b549abb6cf78c8

10 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Of course I know this is a really really old fashioned concept but you know these staff shortages? Their is a possible solution, and it does mean respecting low paid workers and it also means giving them more pay.

O'Conner is spot on with her above tweet and so is the lady below.... 

https://moneyweek.com/economy/uk-economy/603381/the-answer-to-britains-staff-shortages-raise-wages

On 02/08/2021 at 21:43, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Independent haulage firms, construction companies, pubs, hotels, etc. can't afford these rates of pay -

Nice of you to come out to bat for employers yet again Angry but if you and the Labour Party in general are seriously going to spout this sort of rhetoric on the doorsteps at the next election we'll be looking at another Tory landslide...

Huge profits for Taylor Wimpy, the results were out this week...

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2021/08/04/profits-set-to-hit-820m-at-taylor-wimpey/

as I've already pointed out, the big multinationals (like Aldi) will be best placed to survive this Covid/Brexit storm.  This will leave them with an even more powerful market position.  Of course, they could choose to use that position to reward workers instead of shareholders and executives, but somehow I don't see it.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/nils-pratley-on-finance/2021/aug/04/taylor-wimpeys-profits-show-what-a-waste-sunaks-stamp-duty-giveaway-was

Yet another one for the ......wage rises have nothing to do with Brexit file'.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-workers-jobs-employment-brexit-covid-b1897002.html

Perspective...average wage rises in hospitality, 5% -14%.. current inflation rate... 2.5%

https://harpers.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/28972/Hospitality_wages_increase_14_25_due_to_staffing_crisis.html

11 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think the market will correct eventually. If firms offer pay rises below the rate of inflation they will struggle to recruit and have to increase their wages. We are already seeing this in farming, building and hospitality.

The point is the semi slave gig economy in the UK has been killed by Brexit and this should be a course for celebration. 

Angry seems to want the inflation rate to be wherever it lands if all them low paid workers gave back their pay rises. He's already stated he believes bosses couldn't afford those rises, which is obviously ridiculous, Taylor Wimpy reported hugh profits this week. That's why he thinks your question is stupid.

You're right about the market correcting itself, the fact that all the thriving economies, USA, Germany, Russia, Britain etc are experiencing rising inflation rates tells its own story, the 3.9 highest forecast nothing to be worried about which is why very few are worrying.

As for staff shortages the obvious solution (as the FT economist pointed out in a tweet futher up the page) is to offer better wages and better working conditions.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think the market will correct eventually. If firms offer pay rises below the rate of inflation they will struggle to recruit and have to increase their wages. We are already seeing this in farming, building and hospitality.

The point is the semi slave gig economy in the UK has been killed by Brexit and this should be a course for celebration. 

Sutely the likes of delilveroo havemt upped their wages?

12 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Bank of England telling us we are losing £440 million. A week since the referendum. And inflation will rise to 4.0%

Throw in all those dodgy COVID contracts and we really have been royally fucked over.

So, where is all this money coming from for the pay rises Gnasher?

What money? Inflation at 4% is low anyway, we've been through this on the past few pages, the States has 5.5% inflation and its economy is going well so a 1.5% raise is small chips.

I agree with you on the Covid/Government stuff but I'm not sure what that's got to do with us leaving the EU. On the subject of Covid, Britain were far quicker in the vaccination process than Europe. I understand you're not to bothered with being vaccinated and that's your choice but to others it meant they could re unite with fam and friends so it was huge 

As for the losing £440 mil , I haven't seen that so can't comment, is it directly linked to Brexit? have you got a link?

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Genuinely terrifying that there are people that don't comprehend what is going on. Covid and furlough has had a huge effect on what people are doing and what they want to do. The scramble for people isn't because of Brexit, there thousands of people still sat at home getting furlough money. There are people that are reconsidering what they want to do with their careers. There are people who have gone home and decided now isn't the right time to travel back to the UK. There literally tens of reasons before Brexit gets on the list.

And it's cause, not course. You're better off starting another thread asking others if it's okay to look down women's tops than pretending you voted remain but...

15 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Genuinely terrifying that there are people that don't comprehend what is going on. Covid and furlough has had a huge effect on what people are doing and what they want to do. The scramble for people isn't because of Brexit, there thousands of people still sat at home getting furlough money. There are people that are reconsidering what they want to do with their careers. There are people who have gone home and decided now isn't the right time to travel back to the UK. There literally tens of reasons before Brexit gets on the list.

And it's cause, not course. You're better off starting another thread asking others if it's okay to look down women's tops than pretending you voted remain but...

As far as I can tell the only people getting offered pay rises are the ones where there is a desperate shortage?

Its certainly hasn't affected other low paid sector jobs...such as Amazon, fast food,shop workers etc.

Another factor is that this has noy happened beciade the utter fuckwits who pushed it through, didn't understand that a whole load of lorry drivers going back home,would create a job shortage.

Which is terrifying in itself.

Said it before but when the likes of reece mogg etc was pushing through Brexit, I very much doubt a wage increase for waiting in staff, was top of his list.

14 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

That stings. The rest of it is water off a duck's back but yes it should be cause not course. I am ashamed. 

Skends talking more nonsense. He's just plucking stuff out of thin air when he says the scramble for people are nothing to do with Brexit, asking him to provide data or evidence is futile. His claim about the amount of people leaving to reconsider their future is also just a punt in the dark with no tangible evidence. Indeed the new start up chart below contradicts him,

Hes bemoaning the lack of people saying they admit voting remain when remain voters outnumber leave voters on this thread by about ten to one. 

When presented with links giving evidence he normally reverts to calling throwing spoilt brat hissy fits then calls people racist. Very little of what he posts has any semblance with reality or truth.

8 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

As far as I can tell the only people getting offered pay rises are the ones where there is a desperate shortage?

Its certainly hasn't affected other low paid sector jobs...such as Amazon, fast food,shop workers etc.

Another factor is that this has noy happened beciade the utter fuckwits who pushed it through, didn't understand that a whole load of lorry drivers going back home,would create a job shortage.

Which is terrifying in itself.

Said it before but when the likes of reece mogg etc was pushing through Brexit, I very much doubt a wage increase for waiting in staff, was top of his list.

Their are a lot of links throughout this thread showing people in various different sectors getting pay rises. Ie  theirs one a bit futher up showing hospitality wages up to 14%. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Their are a lot of links throughout this thread showing people in various different sectors getting pay rises. Ie  theirs one a bit futher up showing hospitality wages up to 14%. 

But its not affectiing everyone is it?Therefore to say the era of low pay gig wages is slightly premature. 

Just now, Arniepie said:

But its not affectiing everyone is it?Therefore to say the era of low pay gig wages is slightly premature. 

Well you said desperate shortage, and that's an awful lot of people, construction employs 3 million people, here's hospitality which also employs shitloads, its hardly insignificant numbers and it hasn't stopped yet.. all rises are good and all rises are welcome..

https://harpers.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/28972/Hospitality_wages_increase_14_25_due_to_staffing_crisis.html

16 minutes ago, mattyq said:

If you're earning £30k a year and don't get a pay rise like most public sector employees then a 4% inflation rate will mean you're losing £1200 per year or £100 a month.

Don't tell me inflation means fuck all

An awful lot of ifs in that post. Inflation in this country is well  below America, Russia and Germany and even if it does rise to 4% it'll still be below those countries. You're also factoring in inflation staying at that rate for a whole year (most forecasts predict it won't be for that long before the fall back to 2%) and you're not factoring in any potential wage rise which should match your possible 25 quid a week loss.

Edit, also worth noting the normal reason inflation rises is because that country's economy is robust and healthy, ( USA, Germany , Russia) so the gains should spread into wider areas.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

An awful lot of ifs in that post. Inflation in this country is well  below America, Russia and Germany and even if it does rise to 4% it'll still be below those countries. You're also factoring in inflation staying at that rate for a whole year (most forecasts predict it won't be for that long before the fall back to 2%) and you're not factoring in any potential wage rise which should match your possible 25 quid a week loss.

I don't give a fuck what inflation is in Russia or anywhere else because I don't live there. So stop bringing it up

Most people don't work in construction and most people will be getting small or non existent pay rises

2 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I don't give a fuck what inflation is in Russia or anywhere else because I don't live there. So stop bringing it up

Most people don't work in construction and most people will be getting small or non existent pay rises

The alternative to a thriving economy is very low inflation with wage cuts and redundancies. Inflation is rising by approx 1 5% for a few months so your calculationsare wrong. As for Russia and America I'll bring up what I fucking like.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

What money? Inflation at 4% is low anyway, we've been through this on the past few pages, the States has 5.5% inflation and its economy is going well so a 1.5% raise is small chips.

I agree with you on the Covid/Government stuff but I'm not sure what that's got to do with us leaving the EU. On the subject of Covid, Britain were far quicker in the vaccination process than Europe. I understand you're not to bothered with being vaccinated and that's your choice but to others it meant they could re unite with fam and friends so it was huge 

As for the losing £440 mil , I haven't seen that so can't comment, is it directly linked to Brexit? have you got a link?