You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

On 08/07/2021 at 13:34, AngryOfTuebrook said:

All the links you're posting highlight Covid as the main reason for the labour shortage.  If we were in the EU, those shortages would, more or less, still exist. 

These young kids are often on their feet all day in busy restaurants/bars/hotels for the minimum wage, how the fuck can people not appreciate them now enjoying a well deserved pay rise?

https://traveltomorrow.com/brexit-causes-staff-shortages-and-pay-rises-in-uk-hospitality/

30 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

These young kids are often on their feet all day in busy restaurants/bars/hotels for the minimum wage, how the fuck can people not appreciate them now enjoying a well deserved pay rise?

https://traveltomorrow.com/brexit-causes-staff-shortages-and-pay-rises-in-uk-hospitality/

Edit, seems the smallest hospitality wage increases are on Merseyside whilst the largest are in Manchester, seems strange..

https://www.boutiquehotelier.com/hospitality-hiring-crisis-drives-up-wages-by-up-to-14-as-venues-turn-to-temps/

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Interesting bit in that article

Hannah Boland, Consumer Goods and Pharma Correspondent at The Telegraph, wrote a piece in the paper on 1st June headlined “Wetherspoons boss calls for more EU migration as bars and restaurants tackle staff shortage”. She reported that Tim Martin, the Brexit-backing boss of JD Wetherspoon, has urged Boris Johnson to introduce a visa scheme for EU workers as British pubs and restaurants struggle to recruit staff. Wetherspoon has denied experiencing staffing shortages.

51 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

You won’t make yourself popular with this. The EU is a worker’s paradise. 

177F36A2-FF94-402E-8655-BFB077C4BEA1.jpeg

I'm certainly not doing it to make myself popular I'm just expressing a veiw by shouting into the echo chamber. There used to be brilliant posters on here with similar views on the EU to me but they got shouted off, Boss was superb on the issues regarding the EU and the suppression of wages, plus a few other posters were of a similar thought but I think they just had enough.

Just now, Rico1304 said:

I don’t like the wallpaper in this house.  The obvious solution is to bulldoze it. 

We may then be homeless, freezing and unable to look after ourselves but at least the wallpaper is gone. 

More good news, it seems Waitroes havn't run out of Manchester Pale Ale yet. 

8 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I'm not in denial.  I'm very much living in the real world. 

I can't comment on that 2019 headline from a pro-Brexit paper, because the article is behind a paywall. What I do know is

1. that the current labour shortages are driven more by Covid (the combined effect of businesses opening up and/or dealing with backlogs, while their previous workforce have either returned home or are unwilling to return)

2.  that where businesses are offering large payrises to attract people back, this is a short-term, unsustainable measure; in the longer term, a lot of those businesses will go bust (taking those jobs with them) and the Tories will do more of what they've already started (in the loosening of safety regulations for lorry drivers) and bring in laws to effectively force people to work with shitty pay and conditions. 

2 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I can't comment on that 2019 headline from a pro-Brexit paper, because the article is behind a paywall. What I do know is

1. that the current labour shortages are driven more by Covid (the combined effect of businesses opening up and/or dealing with backlogs, while their previous workforce have either returned home or are unwilling to return)

2.  that where businesses are offering large payrises to attract people back, this is a short-term, unsustainable measure; in the longer term, a lot of those businesses will go bust (taking those jobs with them) and the Tories will do more of what they've already started (in the loosening of safety regulations for lorry drivers) and bring in laws to effectively force people to work with shitty pay and conditions. 

You really are in denial.

15 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/brexit-causes-workforce-shortage-wage-17085881

Their are tons of reports like above, they are everywhere. 

17 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/construction-wages-soar-as-eu-staff-leave-8qt6c5sc6

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

I can't really speak for the people negging you with no comments, but I'd be very surprised if anyone here begrudged a payrise to overworked, underpaid people. 

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I can't really speak for the people negging you with no comments, but I'd be very surprised if anyone here begrudged a payrise to overworked, underpaid people. 

These pay rises don't seem to be that warmly welcomed on here, and these are mainly rises for people towards the bottom of the ladder.

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Gnasher, I agree with you. The EU favours rich landowners (half their budget is paid to landowners without any means testing) and employers by increasing the supply of cheap Labour from Eastern Europe. I’m amazed that anyone on the left thinks it’s a good idea. 

Yeah, like he says; all the good posters who agree with him have gone.

*joke*

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

You can’t have it both ways; either businesses go bust because they can’t pay higher wages or the Government will step in to impose shitty conditions.

I think the point is the semi slave based Amazon, sports direct, fruit picking etc economy is over in the UK becuase the supply of cheap labour has come to an end. 

Bwahahaha. It's more likely to get turbo charged into new levels of fuckery

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

These pay rises don't seem to be that warmly welcomed on here, and these are mainly rises for people towards the bottom of the ladder.

Everyone is pleased workers who were exploited and paid a pittance are now getting the remuneration they deserve.

The concern 'on here' was the effect of labour shortage and rising wages on the competitiveness of small and medium sized businesses (not supermarkets) in a market that will become swamped with cheaper foreign imports, and the subsequent effect that might have on unemployment. You evidently mistook this concern with not wanting poorly paid workers to be paid a decent wage. Nobody begrudges another human being the right to work for a living wage and to benefit from increased demand for their services.

Hope that clears things up.

9 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think the point is the semi slave based Amazon, sports direct, fruit picking etc economy is over in the UK becuase the supply of cheap labour has come to an end. 

Until the government issues visas for those workers of course.