Quantcast
Should the UK remain a member of the EU - Page 1346 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Anny Road

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

310 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

On 10/02/2021 at 15:35, Gnasher said:

Hmm not quite yet maybe "Believe you me the German banks are ready to print Deuschmarks, the process has already begun"

You're being disingenuous. He says "the process" of protecting against a collapse of the Euro has begun: no process for printing Deutschmarks has begun  (although he speculates that they probably have contingency plans in place - which is as it should be; having fire evacuation plans doesn’t mean that the building is already on fire).

On 10/02/2021 at 15:35, Gnasher said:

Oh and what do you think of his speech to the Oxford union where he makes the claim that the euro is making the poor of Europe poorer?

I've never really had a good enough understanding of macroeconomics to take a definite view on that, but I suspect that the Euro is a double-edged sword. In the optimistic early 90s, (some) EU Member States signed up to it because they thought it would do more good than harm; the way things have panned out, it looks like it's more likely to increase inequality between Member States. 

Looks like the UK's vaccination rollout isn’t really so much better than that of the EU after all.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2021/feb/14/brexit-britain-eu-covid-vaccination-fiasco?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

(NB - Gnash, you might want to read that; he puts the boot in on your mate Ursula.)

20 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Is it the first of April?

This particular white elephant is in the north. Therefore it'll never happen. Just a green light for talks about plans to set up a London-based parliamentary committee to discuss the feasibility of working with a group of multi-national, American-owned construction conglomerates (headed by tory donors) to look into the feasibility of maybe building a tunnel in 2042. Then deciding (after a lengthy consultancy period of 12 years of consultants being paid £500/hr) that putting on a few extra ferries is cheaper. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You're being disingenuous. He says "the process" of protecting against a collapse of the Euro has begun: no process for printing Deutschmarks has begun  (although he speculates that they probably have contingency plans in place - which is as it should be; having fire evacuation plans doesn’t mean that the building is already on fire).

I've never really had a good enough understanding of macroeconomics to take a definite view on that, but I suspect that the Euro is a double-edged sword. In the optimistic early 90s, (some) EU Member States signed up to it because they thought it would do more good than harm; the way things have panned out, it looks like it's more likely to increase inequality between Member States. 

Not being disingenuous at all. "Plans in the draw to convert into German currency, the process has already begun'  make of that what you will but it feels a little more urgent than putting a fire extinguisher in the corner of the room.

As for the second point isnt it funny that an organisation run by people closely affiliated to the banking industry and the political right that their policies favour the rich and punish the poor? Back luck I suppose.

Just now, Gnasher said:

Not being disingenuous at all. "Plans in the draw to convert into German currency, the process has already begun'  make of that what you will but it feels a little more urgent than putting a fire extinguisher in the corner of the room.

Yes, you're being disingenuous because nobody actually said the bits you've put in inverted commas. You've taken bits of two separate things and pasted them together to look like something different.  That's disingenuous. 

Just now, Gnasher said:

As for the second point isnt it funny that an organisation run by people closely affiliated to the banking industry and the political right that their policies favour the rich and punish the poor? Back luck I suppose.

Nobody's ever denied that the key decision-makers in the national governments of the Member States  - and, by extension, of the EU  - in the last 30 years have been horny for neoliberalism. 

She only got the job because her family are minted and know about the slave trade and the Germans wanted shot of her because she was useless when she was defence minister.

I’m at the point now where I’m convinced they are doing this deliberately to harm the nation.

The article below sets out just some of the exports that we now can’t send as a third country and subject to EU regulations on quality.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-shellfish-europe-ban-agriculture-headaches/

These are things that affect hundreds of thousands initially, but the country as a whole as well.

The EU have offered to renegotiate certain parts, but... 

As yet, the British government isn’t promising anything. “Having secured a high-quality free trade agreement with the EU,” the spokesperson said, “we will not be reopening the negotiations, although we remain committed to doing all we can to support exporters as they adjust to the new processes.”’

World beating arrogance. 

Ha, British government complains for years about lack of eu democracy ( they had a point, see article by former greek finance minister above)  then British government put unelected patsy as minister for Brexit. The toad also calls Michael Gove a giant.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Men who rallied against ‘unelected  bureaucrats’ give significant governmental role to unelected bureaucrat.

Frost now ‘Minster for Brexit’

Shocker.

Davies is my mates brother in law.  Another of our mates is calling Davies all sorts on Facebook and is unaware of the connection. It’s going to be awkward when we first get together in the pub. 

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Ha, British government complains for years about lack of eu democracy ( they had a point, see article by former greek finance minister above)  then British government put unelected patsy as minister for Brexit. The toad also calls Michael Gove a giant.

Yesterday, Liam Thorp of the Echo discovered that his medical records mistakenly had his height at 6.2cm.

Even he wouldn't call Gove a giant.

They appointed a German billionaire who even Germans cant stand at the helm and a right winger from Latvia who imposed such savage austerity cuts on his country half the working population were forced to flee..

So with the environment being our greatest challenge in the near future I'm sure the eu wouldnt be so insensitive as to appoint people with a dubious enviromental past into positions of power, would they?

Oh dear...

https://www.euractiv.com/section/energy-environment/news/exclusive-brussels-ties-with-fossil-fuel-industry-revealed/

On 18/02/2021 at 09:45, Rico1304 said:

Davies is my mates brother in law.  Another of our mates is calling Davies all sorts on Facebook and is unaware of the connection. It’s going to be awkward when we first get together in the pub. 

This was bollocks. Frost is my mates brother in law. I’ve given myself a firm talking to. 

34 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Guess they were hoping hoards of Brexit supporting UPIKKERS would save the day 

EvDzcRlXUAAw6SE?format=jpg&name=900x900

Best and Worst rated comments. 

20210225_145227.png

20210225_145255.png

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Best and Worst rated comments. 

20210225_145227.png

20210225_145255.png

Angry promoting the Vonn der Euro cheap labour trick learnt from her nice ancestors in the USA?

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

Angry promoting the Vonn der Euro cheap labour trick learnt from her nice ancestors in the USA?

What would you suggest? Not having a go, genuine question. The stuff needs picking.

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I can't even argue with your nonsense any more, because it's so adrift from reality that I don't know what (if any) point you're trying to make. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

I can't even argue with your nonsense any more, because it's so adrift from reality that I don't know what (if any) point you're trying to make. 

They are apparently finding a worker shortage down the southern states of America. Cotton pickers not so easy to find after the abolition of slavery. Ask the head of the eu.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Put him on ignore. It's genuinely refreshing. I can now generally lurk and not feel the need to call him an idiot.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Put him on ignore. It's genuinely refreshing. I can now generally lurk and not feel the need to call him an idiot.

I find him easy to ignore when he's babbling.

It's Rushie I feel sorry for; he's made the classic error of asking Gnash a straight question, in the hope of a straight answer.