You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

53 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's nonsense to do what Gnash does and dismiss the role of the EU altogether. 

Without the EU, war between European nations is unlikely.  With the EU, war between Member States is practically impossible  (and in the Eurozone completely impossible).

I prefer impossible to unlikely. 

Its nonsense to suggest I did

Turkey invaded Greece/Cyprus in 1974, whilst NATO members. There were the three Cod Wars too between NATO members. I don't think any EU nation has invaded or fought another in the same time period. So I'd say there's a bit more chance of argy bargy when you're a NATO member than nations with economic and political ties. I'd say American interest rather than NATO affiliations decides if NATO allies have at it.

Anyhow I'm just being a bit mischievous there but clearly economic interests will create a bit better atmosphere between nations than just being part of a military alliance.

So, in case anyone was wondering about Brexit, there will not be a decision today, or perhaps before next weekend, because Johnson has magically found a way forward on something or another. 

No spoilers, but whatever it is, it won't involve the EU allowing the UK to get member benefits without a membership fee...

Arithmetically, will be interesting when this deal goes before parliament. There will be lots of ERG terrorists voting against a deal, and so Labour will be put in a very difficult position.

52 minutes ago, Numero said:

Seems like you made that up. Why is it more likely that NATO nations - who are in a mutual military alliance - will go to war with each other than financial and political alliance members? 

Seems like you made up me saying it's more likely that NATO members would go to war with each other. 

5 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Turkey invaded Greece/Cyprus in 1974, whilst NATO members. There were the three Cod Wars too between NATO members. I don't think any EU nation has invaded or fought another in the same time period. So I'd say there's a bit more chance of argy bargy when you're a NATO member than nations with economic and political ties. I'd say American interest rather than NATO affiliations decides if NATO allies have at it.

Anyhow I'm just being a bit mischievous there but clearly economic interests will create a bit better atmosphere between nations than just being part of a military alliance.

The idea that I can’t start a war when I’ve got loads of my citizens in the opposing country was part of the original plan wasn’t it?  

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Seems like you made up me saying it's more likely that NATO members would go to war with each other. 

Right. Except the fact I didn't say you said it was. Maybe you're not actually reading the discussion or the things you're replying to, but... 

You know what, this is why I couldn't be arsed. Cunts gon' cunt. 

Reading between all the noise coming out of Europe they fucking hate Alex and there is absolutely no good will.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this extension is aimed a little at making him look even more pathetic. They’ve outthought/outmanoeuvred at every stage and have everything in their favour, so why not make an example of ‘us’.

The only outcome is they’re getting ready to shaft us with how far Alex is willing to bend and I think they’ll take a certain amount of glee in that with how truly naive and asinine the UK have been.

The EU saw all of this in 360 degrees whilst we had one plan, get in and try to undercut on services.

Pathetic.  

Imagine a local shopkeeper offering you mates rates on a corner of his shop so you can sell your wares and you start undercutting on the prices of twixs? It’s just so fucking embarrassing that that’s what we came up with.

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Reading between all the noise coming out of Europe they fucking hate Alex and there is absolutely no good will.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this extension is aimed a little at making him look even more pathetic. They’ve outthought/outmanoeuvred at every stage and have everything in their favour, so why not make an example of ‘us’.

The only outcome is they’re getting ready to shaft us with how far Alex is willing to bend and I think they’ll take a certain amount of glee in that with how truly naive and asinine the UK have been.

The EU saw all of this in 360 degrees whilst we had one plan, get in and try to undercut on services.

Pathetic.  

Imagine a local shopkeeper offering you mates rates on a corner of his shop so you can sell your wares and you start undercutting on the prices of twixs? It’s just so fucking remedial. 

What makes me angry is that it was all so predictable.  Jingoistic nonsense fuelled by half wits and commentators who haven’t a fucking clue what they are on about.   

when I go the MiL in the Cotswolds my running turnaround point is a BT junction box in Lower Slaughter. Up until a few weeks ago there was a sticker on the box saying that the internet to the village was funded in part by the EU. That sticker has now been covered up with a new sticker that says the U.K. government and misses out the EU.  Madness. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What makes me angry is that it was all so predictable.  Jingoistic nonsense fuelled by half wits and commentators who haven’t a fucking clue what they are on about.   

when I go the MiL in the Cotswolds my running turnaround point is a BT junction box in Lower Slaughter. Up until a few weeks ago there was a sticker on the box saying that the internet to the village was funded in part by the EU. That sticker has now been covered up with a new sticker that says the U.K. government and misses out the EU.  Madness. 

The amount of nudge work they’re going to put in to this is going to be insane, we’ll be eating gruel and we’ll be being told this is what freedom tastes like, sad thing is people will be cheering this ‘freedom’ taste.

I have no idea how they did it, but the weaponisation of the disenfranchised is something to applaud. 

You’ll have, like Trump supporters, a group literally willing to burn it all down for the benefit of billionaires getting richer.

Milliband was good on Marr this morning setting out exactly what it’s really about. It’s about a race to the bottom, nothing else. Let the plebs work for as little as we’re prepared to pay them so we can attract the biggest of the big and the worst of the worst, there’ll not be paying tax though, so don’t fret.

How the fuck this whole circus has any chance of being sustained I’ve no idea, but once you start putting adverts for food people can’t afford in between Strictly Come Dancing they’ll be discontent and the very same weaponisation that fuelled this bullshit will be the same opposing it.

It’s the ultimate endgame of disaster capitalism and nobody has a fucking clue what’s going to happen apart from a few who are going to get exceptionally wealthy while the rest of us try and figure out how to make a rat feed a family of four.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Numero said:

Right. Except the fact I didn't say you said it was. Maybe you're not actually reading the discussion or the things you're replying to, but... 

You know what, this is why I couldn't be arsed. Cunts gon' cunt. 

Right.

So you were making two unrelated points which should have been in separate paragraphs (you single-spacing weirdo).

You implied, on the basis of fuck all, that I'd made something up.  I hadn't, of course. 

You then asked me to comment on something you know I'd never claimed or even expressed an interest in.  My comment is...

*Partridge shrug gif*

Another riveting contribution. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Right.

So you were making two unrelated points which should have been in separate paragraphs (you single-spacing weirdo).

You implied, on the basis of fuck all, that I'd made something up.  I hadn't, of course. 

You then asked me to comment on something you know I'd never claimed or even expressed an interest in.  My comment is...

*Partridge shrug gif*

Another riveting contribution. 

Single-spacing is correct. Double-spacing is the sign of being an antiquated dickhead who doesn't know the modern style standards. I would happily gun you down in my fucking gunboat over this. 

27 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The amount of nudge work they’re going to put in to this is going to be insane, we’ll be eating gruel and we’ll be being told this is what freedom tastes like, sad thing is people will be cheering this ‘freedom’ taste.

I have no idea how they did it, but the weaponisation of the disenfranchised is something to applaud. 

You’ll have, like Trump supporters, a group literally willing to burn it all down for the benefit of billionaires getting richer.

Milliband was good on Marr this morning setting out exactly what it’s really about. It’s about a race to the bottom, nothing else. Let the plebs work for as little as we’re prepared to pay them so we can attract the biggest of the big and the worst of the worst, there’ll not be paying tax though, so don’t fret.

How the fuck this whole circus has any chance of being sustained I’ve no idea, but once you start putting adverts for food people can’t afford in between Strictly Come Dancing they’ll be discontent and the very same weaponisation that fuelled this bullshit will be the same opposing it.

It’s the ultimate endgame of disaster capitalism and nobody has a fucking clue what’s going to happen apart from a few who are going to get exceptionally wealthy while the rest of us try and figure out how to make a rat feed a family of four.  

Spot on. I’ve seen a Trade Unionist today saying we’ll benefit from being free from EU regulation. So he’s advocating fewer protections for his members. Madness.  

Saw Milliband - he was great. 

27 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

On the face of it, it's the beginnings of a communist state. 

Close off the outside world, put people through hardship in the 'national interest', throw billions at the military, and remove basic human rights.  We'll have more in common with the likes of North Korea than our European neighbors or America. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

On the face of it, it's the beginnings of a communist state. 

Close off the outside world, put people through hardship in the 'national interest', throw billions at the military, and remove basic human rights.  We'll have more in common with the likes of North Korea than our European neighbors or America. 

You got communism and totalitarian mixed up there, fella.

It’s cool, most of the world does the same...

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Spot on. I’ve seen a Trade Unionist today saying we’ll benefit from being free from EU regulation. So he’s advocating fewer protections for his members. Madness.  

Saw Milliband - he was great. 

The ERG and their benefactors counted on one thing holding steady, and that is the utter ignorance and arrogance of the average person to admit they have ever been wrong.  

It's a British trait, and it's been used against us by the people appointed to act in our best interests.  

Jacob Rees-Mogg can put his foot on the face of my kids if it means I don't have to admit my failings. 

Matt Hancock can kill my parents as long as I don't have to endure a moment of self doubt. 

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You got communism and totalitarian mixed up there fella.

It’s cool, most of the world does the same...

How's that then??

The beginnings of North Korea are very recent and well documented. As with the USSR. 

Has there been a recent example of a totalitarian state that differs from communism? 

21 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

How's that then??

The beginnings of North Korea are very recent and well documented. As with the USSR. 

Has there been a recent example of a totalitarian state that differs from communism? 

One, in its true form is about collective endeavour and enrichment, the other is not.

I’m sure you know which is which and you can think beyond the simplistic caricatures you been shown since birth?   

Both examples you give used Marxist economic theory as a smokescreen to subvert the populous, effectively inverting the idea of the superstate, and more pressingly the ISA and RSA to consolidate wealth based on capital surplus being weaponised and farthing disparity in power dynamics, come on, keep up. 

17 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

One, in its true form is about collective endeavour and enrichment, the other is not.

I’m sure you know which is which and you can think beyond the simplistic caricatures you been shown since birth?   

Both examples you give used Marxist economic theory as a smokescreen to subvert the populous, effectively inverting the idea of the superstate, and more pressingly the ISA and RSA to consolidate wealth based on capital surplus being weaponised and farthing disparity in power dynamics, come on, keep up. 

I don't want to bog this already tedious thread down with this, but you're over-thinking my sentiment here.