You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Only a cunt would pretend that I "seem to endorse" modern slavery, while advocating stripping workers of their rights.

That "you're naive" horseshit doesn’t work. Every campaign against modern slavery  - without exception  - advocates giving migrant workers more rights. You are the only person I have ever heard argue that the right-wing Tory approach to stripping workers of rights will somehow  protect vulnerable workers.

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Only a cunt would pretend that I "seem to endorse" modern slavery, while advocating stripping workers of their rights.

That "you're naive" horseshit doesn’t work. Every campaign against modern slavery  - without exception  - advocates giving migrant workers more rights. You are the only person I have ever heard argue that the right-wing Tory approach to stripping workers of rights will somehow  protect vulnerable workers.

The eu policy of free labour was mecca from heaven to ruthless people sellers. The problem has gone off the scale in the past ten/twenty years or so, any professional who works with victims (as in the link you ignored) will tell you how  much the problem has increased over the past decade or so. Is the eu only to blame? No of course not, however you walk down any high street to see the outcome of eu free movement and its role in the promotion of cheap labour. It's not just farm work and prostitution its right across the board. 

57 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You really are fucking naive. You honestly believe a girl being trafficked into prostitution is worried about being deported? Most would like to go home but know their masters will target their loved ones if they whistle blow. Britain gives them nothing but a living hell. The eu policy on free and easy movement of peoples aids the so called 'entrepreneurs' who are making huge sums of money dealing in peoples. 

On a lighter scale you may remember the fruit pickers who tried to escape from camp ravaged with covid a few months ago. These people are trying to escape a system you seem to endorse.

I think you'll find that people who travel to the UK on the promise of a job want to work in the UK. After they've been freed from the Hell of slavery, EU membership gives them the choice to stay or return.  Brexit strips them of that right. 

The threats to their families back in Romania  (or wherever) are best dealt with by the kind of cooperation you get between Police and intelligence services of EU Member States.  Leaving the EU will make it harder to combat the gangsters.

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think you'll find that people who travel to the UK on the promise of a job want to work in the UK. After they've been freed from the Hell of slavery, EU membership gives them the choice to stay or return.  Brexit strips them of that right. 

The threats to their families back in Romania  (or wherever) are best dealt with by the kind of cooperation you get between Police and intelligence services of EU Member States.  Leaving the EU will make it harder to combat the gangsters.

I'd love to live in your rose tinted world angry, i bet it's full of ganga cakes and fairy lights.

• Downvote 1

es 

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The eu policy of free labour was mecca from heaven to ruthless people sellers. The problem has gone off the scale in the past ten/twenty years or so, any professional who works with victims (as in the link you ignored) will tell you how  much the problem has increased over the past decade or so. Is the eu only to blame? No of course not, however you walk down any high street to see the outcome of eu free movement and its role in the promotion of cheap labour. It's not just farm work and prostitution its right across the board. 

I didn't ignore that link. I read it.  I'd recommend that you do the same. It's all about shitty UK laws that penalise the victims of slavery.  The article doesn’t mention the EU at all; if it did, it would say that Brexit brings immigration restrictions, which are just one more weapon for the UK to attack the victims of slavery. 

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

you walk down any high street to see the outcome of eu free movement and its role in the promotion of cheap labour. It's not just farm work and prostitution its right across the board. 

This is exactly  how the S*n, Mail, Express, Tories, UKIP, BNP, etc want you to think. "See all that poverty and misery? It's not the fault of the Government or the plutocrats: blame the swarms of forrin invaders."

You're a useful idiot for racists and neoliberals.

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Neg away angry, throw a few insults or perhaps just turn the other cheek per usual,

https://www.politico.eu/article/labor-trafficking-exploitation-modern-day-slavery-on-the-rise-in-europe-report/

I read that first time you posted it. You really should read it too. It's got fuck all to do with the EU and it certainly doesn't make an argument for stripping workers of rights. 

You know what really has go me "rattled"? The children and adults who drowned yesterday, because the Government refuses to provide safe access to safety for them. That's why I've got no time for any cunt arguing that we need to provide less safe access to this country. 

I get upset when children drown. Fucking "diddums".

34 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This is exactly  how the S*n, Mail, Express, Tories, UKIP, BNP, etc want you to think. "See all that poverty and misery? It's not the fault of the Government or the plutocrats: blame the swarms of forrin invaders."

You're a useful idiot for racists and neoliberals.

I have never once blamed immigrants or foreigners. You are once again throwing around baseless slurs. 

The increase in modern day slavery is well documented and is there for all to see, if you choose to ignore it that's your prerogative.

Why has modern day slavery increased is the question we should be asking. Is our own government culpable? Fucking right it is. Is the increase in world inequality a reason? Undoubtedly. Is the eu policy on free people movement a cause? I think it may well be, obviously it's not fully to blame but the system has been exploited by the dregs of humanity to wield power over others in pursuit of easy profit.

More racists below?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-blamed-for-rise-in-trafficking-and-slaves-fd3dwp7s3

39 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I have never once blamed immigrants or foreigners. You are once again throwing around baseless slurs. 

The increase in modern day slavery is well documented and is there for all to see, if you choose to ignore it that's your prerogative.

Why has modern day slavery increased is the question we should be asking. Is our own government culpable? Fucking right it is. Is the increase in world inequality a reason? Undoubtedly. Is the eu policy on free people movement a cause? I think it may well be, obviously it's not fully to blame but the system has been exploited by the dregs of humanity to wield power over others in pursuit of easy profit.

More racists below?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/eu-blamed-for-rise-in-trafficking-and-slaves-fd3dwp7s3

40 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Do you even read the stuff you write?

You literally just said that poverty in the UK is the result of EU immigration. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The increase in modern day slavery is well documented and is there for all to see,

True

if you choose to ignore it that's your prerogative.

I've never ignored it; quite the opposite.  Stop chatting shit

Why has modern day slavery increased is the question we should be asking.

Finally!

Is our own government culpable? Fucking right it is.

True

Is the increase in world inequality a reason? Undoubtedly.

True

Is the eu policy on free people movement a cause?

No. Giving workers rights doesn't increase slavery.

I think it may well be,

Everybody who knows what they're talking about disagrees.

obviously it's not fully to blame but the system has been exploited by the dregs of humanity to wield power over others in pursuit of easy profit.

Freedom of movement might hamper efforts to disrupt the international movements of victims. It gets in the way of the "attack the victims, not the problem" policies of racist pig governments like our own.

More racists below?

As if I'm going behind Murdoch's paywall! As far as I can tell, it's one comment made once (which gave the same headline to the Torygraph and the Express, but nobody else who covered the story) which says much the same as I've said above. 

14 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Do you even read the stuff you write?

You literally just said that poverty in the UK is the result of EU immigration. 

Nope. You seem to be having trouble analysing the words on the page, otherwise you are just making up more ridiculous slurs (you're very good at that)

Any chance you showing the quote with context where I said "poverty in the uk is the result of eu immigration" ?  As you claimed above.

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Nope. You seem to be having trouble analysing the words on the page, otherwise you are just making up more ridiculous slurs (you're very good at that)

Any chance you showing the quote with context where I said "poverty in the uk is the result of eu immigration" ?  As you claimed above.

Pay attention. 

The post you're objecting to quotes you blaming free movement of EU workers for the state of our economy. 

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Angry you state everyone who knows what they are talking about agrees the eu is not in any way to blame for the increase in modern day slavery. 

You're not speaking the truth again are you?

You don't read your own posts.

You don't read the links you post.

It's probably a bit much to expect you to read the reply I've already posted to that link.

• Upvote 1