You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

15 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Literally nobody here defends neoliberalism and austerity.

What were you talking about when you mentioned Jairz's "fantasy utopia"?

EU financial policy was/is a political decision which resulted/results in austerity. It's hypocritical imo to be an eu tub thumper on the one hand whilst the eu encourages a financial deficit.

As for the Jarz "financial utopia" comment thats just a throwaway that it works both ways. He does point out that a lot of people had the square root of didley squat before the referendum. This was partially caused by free (slave) labour and is proven by the government statistics.

It's easy to point the gun at idiots in union jack hats on margate beach but then neglect to mention the eu policies which cause untold environmental and economic misery to millions of mainly young poor people across the continent.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

As for the Jarz "financial utopia" comment thats just a throwaway that it works both ways.

It doesn't, though.

Brexit was sold on utopian fairy tales: sunlit uplands; no downsides; take back control; we hold the cards; easiest deal in history; £350m for the NHS; etc. None of the supposed benefits of Brexit are backed up by reality.

Those of us who argue against Brexit recognise that remaining in the EU, for all its flaws, would have been preferable to stripping people of their rights, tanking the economy and handing uncontrolled power to the worst of the racist neoliberal fundamentalists. That's really not utopianism.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It doesn't, though.

Brexit was sold on utopian fairy tales: sunlit uplands; no downsides; take back control; we hold the cards; easiest deal in history; £350m for the NHS; etc. None of the supposed benefits of Brexit are backed up by reality.

Those of us who argue against Brexit recognise that remaining in the EU, for all its flaws, would have been preferable to stripping people of their rights, tanking the economy and handing uncontrolled power to the worst of the racist neoliberal fundamentalists. That's really not utopianism.

Nothing's perfect but surely it's better to be on the onside with everyone where you can try and affect change than being sat outside in the cold, starving to death and no chance of doing anything about it? 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

EU financial policy was/is a political decision which resulted/results in austerity. 

It's easy to point the gun at idiots in union jack hats on margate beach but then neglect to mention the eu policies which cause untold environmental and economic misery to millions of mainly young poor people across the continent.

Policies like...

Was thinking yesterday about a comedy character who could get a regular slot on Question Time, called 'Caveman Chris'.

He appears on the show with no preconceptions about any political subject, and he has to have everything explained to him in order for him to judge it.  

In the case of Brexit, he'd say it was about 50/50 so people aren't that bothered, and costs loads and wastes loads of political time trying to enact something so marginal, with so little benefit, during a pandemic, based on a vote almost 5 years ago.

Dress it up however else you like. 

Caveman Chris would bring all debate back to basics.  Something voters will understand.

'The people spoke' doesn't really matter does it. It's a fundamental of democracy, a right enshrined in law, but the government doesn't respect law.  There is no government without law, that's their only job, to pass laws. 

Now the PM’s sister, Rachel Johnson, has spoken out, warning she believes the PM’s bizarrely aggressive behaviour may be due to pressure “people who have invested billions in shorting the pound or shorting the country in the expectation of a no-deal Brexit.”

Ha, imagine voting for this cunt.

Hahaha. Cheeky fuckers. The arrogance of this we want out of the club, but want to retain all the nice bits that members of the club get attitude is astounding. 

They haven't got much chance of getting the EU to agree to this, I'd guess. But, I hope their cheek pays off as future(if coronavirus allows) travel as a non-EU member state national is going to be a complete ballache. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/23/uk-presses-for-use-of-faster-passport-gates-at-eu-airports-post-brexit?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1603459356

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

For the millionth time, everyone who knows or cares about the problems of modern slavery and people trafficking agrees that taking rights away from migrants makes them more vulnerable to exploitation.

Brexit takes rights away from EU migrants.

Brexit makes people more vulnerable to trafficking and modern slavery. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

For the millionth time, everyone who knows or cares about the problems of modern slavery and people trafficking agrees that taking rights away from migrants makes them more vulnerable to exploitation.

Brexit takes rights away from EU migrants.

Brexit makes people more vulnerable to trafficking and modern slavery. 

If you think these people give a fuck about eu regulations then you're more naive than I thought. The enslaved underclass do'nt have the luxury of a union representative. Free movement gave the slave masters a wide and open net.

16 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

If you think these people give a fuck about eu regulations then you're more naive than I thought. The enslaved underclass do'nt have the luxury of a union representative. Free movement gave the slave masters a wide and open net.

This makes no sense at all.

If you actually gave a shite about modern slavery then you'd do a bit of research and reach the not-unsurprising conclusion that taking rights off migrant workers is bad for migrant workers.

18 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

This is horse-shit, by the way.

19 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This makes no sense at all.

If you actually gave a shite about modern slavery then you'd do a bit of research and reach the not-unsurprising conclusion that taking rights off migrant workers is bad for migrant workers.

I think I know a little bit more about modern slavery than you realise but I dont want to bust your bubble of self worth and pomposity. 

You really do believe these poor people possess "rights" as you like to call it when they come here, dont you?  A large percentage possess nothing but a dream and a telephone number to a gang master. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

I think I know a little bit more about modern slavery than you realise but I dont want to bust your bubble of self worth and pomposity. 

You really do believe these poor people possess "rights" as you like to call it when they come here, dont you?  A large percentage possess nothing but a dream and a telephone number to a gang master. 

Gangmaster Gnash.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Where you a slave?

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Yes, you weapon.

Workers who have the right to work here legally will be protected by the Police if the slavers' operation gets broken up. If you take that right away from them - as you and the right-wing of the Tory Party are so keen to do  -  then the slavers have an additional hold over them, because they know that nobody will blow the whistle, for fear of deportation. 

Every campaigner against modern slavery understands this. 

11 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yes, you weapon.

Workers who have the right to work here legally will be protected by the Police if the slavers' operation gets broken up. If you take that right away from them - as you and the right-wing of the Tory Party are so keen to do  -  then the slavers have an additional hold over them, because they know that nobody will blow the whistle, for fear of deportation. 

Every campaigner against modern slavery understands this. 

You really are fucking naive. You honestly believe a girl being trafficked into prostitution is worried about being deported? Most would like to go home but know their masters will target their loved ones if they whistle blow. Britain gives them nothing but a living hell. The eu policy on free and easy movement of peoples aids the so called 'entrepreneurs' who are making huge sums of money dealing in peoples. 

On a lighter scale you may remember the fruit pickers who tried to escape from camp ravaged with covid a few months ago. These people are trying to escape a system you seem to endorse.