You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Why are they flying in workers from Romania and disregarding the kids in that article? 

They're not "disregarding kids". People are applying for jobs that aren't there yet (because, y'know, biology and that). 

The people flying in workers from Romania for the early-season veg are taking advantage of the skill and experience that those workers already have.

20200421_211729.png

30 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You think the fruit and veg harvests are most abundant in mid-April because "the paymasters" say something different and everything they say is false?

I think the NFU are also quite insistent on the idea that Winter tends to be colder than Summer; would you start wearing your Bermuda shorts in November because you're convinced of their dishonesty?

Ok angry you carry on believing the bullshit these landowners public relations people feed you, I on the other hand think the kids speaking in that article are not lying and there are probably many more who have encountered the same knockbacks. 

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Ok angry you carry on believing the bullshit these landowners public relations people feed you, I on the other hand think the kids speaking in that article are not lying and there are probably many more who have encountered the same knockbacks. 

Sheeple! 

I for one have already harvest two paddy fields of rice and I’m a week away from the olives and oranges being ready.  

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

Gnasher, Anny Road and Moof. 

I abstained but it's true that the views on the EU on here are a million  miles away from the views of the man on the street. The ratio of pro eu support here heavily outweighs debate, anyone with a differing view gets hounded out, wheres Boss for instance? 

19 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I abstained but it's true that the views on the EU on here are a million  miles away from the views of the man on the street. The ratio of pro eu support here heavily outweighs debate, anyone with a differing view gets hounded out, wheres Boss for instance? 

The majority of Remain voters on here aren’t ‘pro EU’ at all. They just recognise that leaving was a pointlessly bad economic decision and membership offered certain protections from the cunts in our own government.

• Upvote 9

22 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I've met the man on the street and he's a cunt. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Think Boss got arrested for upskirting. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Nobody said those "kids" are lying.  What the "kids" say and what the NFU say are not incompatible: personally, I believe

1. there is currently a freakishly high available pool of labour for harvesting work, because of the lockdown; and

2. the peak season for fruit and veg in the UK starts in Summer.

Which of these statements do you disagree with?  Why do you think those things are somehow mutually exclusive?

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Nearly half of the men (and women) on the street voted Remain in 2016 - 51.9% does not round to 100%.

As for debating with people with differing views, check out the exchanges between me and you over the last couple of pages: I answer your questions, you swerve mine or come out with bullshit innuendos, implying that I'm some mad neoliberal capitalist pig.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The majority of Remain voters on here aren’t ‘pro EU’ at all. They just recognise that leaving was a pointlessly bad economic decision and membership offered certain protections from the cunts in our own government.

Gnash - Pay attention to this. 

If you really want an intelligent debate, you need to know what point of view the people you're debating with are coming from.  Nobody here* is into neoliberalism and nobody supports what the EU did to Greece, etc.

(* Except Rico, obviously, the evil Tory bastard.)

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nobody said those "kids" are lying.  What the "kids" say and what the NFU say are not incompatible: personally, I believe

1. there is currently a freakishly high available pool of labour for harvesting work, because of the lockdown; and

2. the peak season for fruit and veg in the UK starts in Summer.

Which of these statements do you disagree with?  Why do you think those things are somehow mutually exclusive?

"A freakishly high pool of labour "  ???

You have seen the appeal for harvest workers? It's been all over the press, you have seen the reports of food rotting as they cant find the workers to harvest? 

bosses are chartering planes and huddling workers on to them like cattle in the middle of a pandemic. Angry. 

Sorry but you are talking a load of nonsense. 

11 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

You think the fruit and veg harvests are most abundant in mid-April because "the paymasters" say something different and everything they say is false?

I think the NFU are also quite insistent on the idea that Winter tends to be colder than Summer; would you start wearing your Bermuda shorts in November because you're convinced of their dishonesty?

False again. The harvest season starts now.

9 hours ago, Gnasher said:

"A freakishly high pool of labour "  ???

You have seen the appeal for harvest workers? It's been all over the press, you have seen the reports of food rotting as they cant find the workers to harvest? 

bosses are chartering planes and huddling workers on to them like cattle in the middle of a pandemic. Angry. 

Sorry but you are talking a load of nonsense. 

Do you think that all working people  are currently going about their business as usual? Or are you aware that millions of people have been stood down or furloughed or simply seen their work dry up? (Honestly, it's been on the news and everything.)

Sorry i know this may seem unconventional but I'd rather hear first hand accounts of kids applying for farming jobs than a spoof article in private eye.

Let's look at a few facts.

The farming industry needs labour. Fact 

British  residents kids/adults are applying for them jobs. Fact.

Farmers/bosses/agents/gangmasters are chartering planes to fly people in from Romania.  Fact.

We are currently in the middle of a pandemic which is costing  lives. Fact

You can dress it up,  try to legitimise it land defend it till the cow jumps over the moon but the facts above tell their own story..

• Downvote 1